JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure this has been answered multiple times but I can't get it with the search function. I have an Oregon CHL and will be in Washington for about 4 days next week where I don't have a license.

I have a full 4 door pickup with no trunk.

Just before I reach the border I want to stop and get legal and need to know how to do it. My first reaction is to take a few large zip lock bags, unload the gun and mags, disassemble the gun and put parts in the bags. Then I could put some under each side of the back seat which I can't reach from the driver's seat. Maybe even some under the passenger's seat?

How much do I need to do to be legal? Can I even take the gun at all?

Thanks!

not that this will help for next week, but after that you can sign up for the UTAH permit, take it on a number of different days, in a number of locations around Portland, spend part of 1 day or night or weekend day, mail it in, and soon you can go to just about any state around here legally and carry.
Click here for Info

Home

Great people, if you take it at Lotus Harley, you even get a $15 dollar gift card to Lotus.

Put the pistol (unloaded) in the original case or similar case and put it under the rear seat. It would be safe to make sure this is OK it all cities you are going through you may need to put a lock on the case also.

EDIT: you may want to get this..... <removed broken link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a quick phone call to the Clark county sheriff or which ever county you are going to spend your time in and ask them.

:s0154:
Guys,guys guys

Don't ever bother calling the police or sheriff to get legal advice.They don't know the answer most of the time.

All you have to do is take the magazine out of the handgun.That makes it an unloaded gun in washington.You don't have to store the 2 separate either.

I do believe the gun must be out of site ,in the car,so yes to the case.
Doesn't need to be under the seat until you get out.Needs to be out of site then.But it can be within reach of you with the magazine there also.
There is no pre-emption in WA so every city and county is the same.
Sometimes the policia don't think so(seattle?) but they are.

You know you can open carry up here right?
Every city w/o any permit,from any state.
And you know if you have a pulse,you can probably get a CHL from WA too?

You might want to go to this site and read -

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

keep the main site in a bookmark

Handgunlaw.us

And in the PDF referenced above, the parts about carrying in a vehicle - the important parts for you are:
RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms
(2)(a)
A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and:
(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper

When you stop at the border to show the Gestapo your papers, shout out "I have a gun, I have a gun!!!", that'll do it.:s0112:

seriously, case it. If you get pulled over use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Gunner, went through the same thing myself for years...(wife's mom lives in the couv)...Finally just left a little early one day, stopped by the court house with a $55.00 check in hand and it rides on my hip now. From what I've heard, just as many bad guys on one side of the river as the other. ;)

Hi Gunner 3456,
Yes, just go with Accessbob. Just place the unload weapon in a box or bag. Ammo in a place other then in the gun. It is OK in Washington to carry a gun open.
You may wish to contact Seattle, Tacoma, or other city.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

In WA your gun and ammo do not have to be in different places or the gun even be in a "case". Even without a permit in WA you can carry open except in a vehicle unless "(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area; "

You can have your gun on you or even laying exposed on the seat next to you with the magazine laying right next to it in the vehicle and be 100% legal.

If you are going to be in WA much you might want to read through our laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons they are pretty easy and straight forward for the most part. As Swoop said $55 and you can CC here too.

In WA your gun and ammo do not have to be in different places or the gun even be in a "case". Even without a permit in WA you can carry open except in a vehicle unless "(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area; "

You can have your gun on you or even laying exposed on the seat next to you with the magazine laying right next to it in the vehicle and be 100% legal.

If you are going to be in WA much you might want to read through our laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons they are pretty easy and straight forward for the most part. As Swoop said $55 and you can CC here too.

Yeah forgot about that one ,thanks Nwcid

Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

Oh yeah,check with Seattle,uh huh,LOL
"NO....Guns are not allowed in this city!!!" :s0155:

:s0154:
Guys,guys guys

Don't ever bother calling the police or sheriff to get legal advice. They don't know the answer most of the time.

All you have to do is take the magazine out of the handgun.That makes it an unloaded gun in Washington. You don't have to store the 2 separate either.

I do believe the gun must be out of sight , in the car, so yes to the case.
Doesn't need to be under the seat until you get out. Needs to be out of sight then. But it can be within reach of you with the magazine there also.
There is no pre-emption in WA so every city and county is the same.
Sometimes the policia don't think so(Seattle?) but they are.

You know you can open carry up here right?
Every city w/o any permit,from any state.
And you know if you have a pulse, you can probably get a CHL from WA too?

Actually WA does have preemption, that's why the laws are uniform throughout the state.

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]

I'm surprised. Is there not that many people on this forum from Oregon that went with a Utah permit also just for this reason, and then on top of it, the couple other dozen states the Utah permits include also? I thought it was pretty cheap for $80-90 and having the extra states as a might as well ontop of getting rights to Washington.

I'm surprised. Is there not that many people on this forum from Oregon that went with a Utah permit also just for this reason, and then on top of it, the couple other dozen states the Utah permits include also? I thought it was pretty cheap for $80-90 and having the extra states as a might as well ontop of getting rights to Washington.

Yep, it's totally worth it.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads