Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Advice please taking my Glock from Oregon into Washington

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Gunner3456, May 4, 2012.

1. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been answered multiple times but I can't get it with the search function. I have an Oregon CHL and will be in Washington for about 4 days next week where I don't have a license.

I have a full 4 door pickup with no trunk.

Just before I reach the border I want to stop and get legal and need to know how to do it. My first reaction is to take a few large zip lock bags, unload the gun and mags, disassemble the gun and put parts in the bags. Then I could put some under each side of the back seat which I can't reach from the driver's seat. Maybe even some under the passenger's seat?

How much do I need to do to be legal? Can I even take the gun at all?

Thanks!

2. Levi

Levi Portland Oregon Member

I would make a quick phone call to the Clark county sheriff or which ever county you are going to spend your time in and ask them.

3. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

not that this will help for next week, but after that you can sign up for the UTAH permit, take it on a number of different days, in a number of locations around Portland, spend part of 1 day or night or weekend day, mail it in, and soon you can go to just about any state around here legally and carry.
    Click here for Info

Home

Great people, if you take it at Lotus Harley, you even get a $15 dollar gift card to Lotus.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

:thumbdown:
    Guys,guys guys

Don't ever bother calling the police or sheriff to get legal advice.They don't know the answer most of the time.

All you have to do is take the magazine out of the handgun.That makes it an unloaded gun in washington.You don't have to store the 2 separate either.

I do believe the gun must be out of site ,in the car,so yes to the case.
    Doesn't need to be under the seat until you get out.Needs to be out of site then.But it can be within reach of you with the magazine there also.
    There is no pre-emption in WA so every city and county is the same.
    Sometimes the policia don't think so(seattle?) but they are.

You know you can open carry up here right?
    Every city w/o any permit,from any state.
    And you know if you have a pulse,you can probably get a CHL from WA too?

TJdamon and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

When I go to WA I just unload my gun, put it and the mag in my backpack or glovebox and call it good.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

You might want to go to this site and read -

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

keep the main site in a bookmark

Handgunlaw.us

And in the PDF referenced above, the parts about carrying in a vehicle - the important parts for you are:

8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

When you stop at the border to show the Gestapo your papers, shout out "I have a gun, I have a gun!!!", that'll do it.:bluelaugh:

seriously, case it. If you get pulled over use the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

9. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Gunner, went through the same thing myself for years...(wife's mom lives in the couv)...Finally just left a little early one day, stopped by the court house with a $55.00 check in hand and it rides on my hip now. From what I've heard, just as many bad guys on one side of the river as the other. ;)

10. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi Gunner 3456,
    Yes, just go with Accessbob. Just place the unload weapon in a box or bag. Ammo in a place other then in the gun. It is OK in Washington to carry a gun open.
    You may wish to contact Seattle, Tacoma, or other city.
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area

11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Why does he need to contact each city?

WA law cover the entire state, RCW 9.41.290: State preemption. unlike OR.

12. Nwcid

In WA your gun and ammo do not have to be in different places or the gun even be in a "case". Even without a permit in WA you can carry open except in a vehicle unless "(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area; "

You can have your gun on you or even laying exposed on the seat next to you with the magazine laying right next to it in the vehicle and be 100% legal.

If you are going to be in WA much you might want to read through our laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons they are pretty easy and straight forward for the most part. As Swoop said $55 and you can CC here too.

13. mjbskwim

Yeah forgot about that one ,thanks Nwcid

Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

Oh yeah,check with Seattle,uh huh,LOL
    "NO....Guns are not allowed in this city!!!" :thumbup:

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Actually WA does have preemption, that's why the laws are uniform throughout the state.

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]

15. Nwcid

I think that is what he meant since he did say every city and county is the same. He just called it the wrong thing.

16. mjbskwim

Vice versa,

17. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

I'm surprised. Is there not that many people on this forum from Oregon that went with a Utah permit also just for this reason, and then on top of it, the couple other dozen states the Utah permits include also? I thought it was pretty cheap for $80-90 and having the extra states as a might as well ontop of getting rights to Washington.

18. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Yep, it's totally worth it.:thumbup:

19. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I appreciate all of the answers. I just didn't know.

Gunner3456

20. m1gunr

m1gunr Tacoma Member