JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reloading some .223/5.56 lately and am bothered by the full width of the cannelure being exposed when proper seating depth is achieved. I'm reloading Hornady 55 gr. FMJBT to 2.215 and the cannelure is just at the top of the shell casing when a Lee FCD is used. Thats the shortest I want to load but I still think it looks weird. All the brass is meticulously trimmed to 1.750. I may not be the best AR shot in the world, but my brass is perfect!

My Hornady book says COL to be 2.200" for that bullet. Have you tried that length? The exposed cannalure isn't an issue so I guess if you don't want to change the length, there's not much for options. Trim your brass to 1.755".

Ignore it, you dont need a crimp with a 223. The exposed cannelure doesn't harm accuracy.
IF I recall..... you only need the cannelure to align if your going to roll crimp, again, its optional. If you still want to crimp it where its not aligned then you can taper crimp it without using a cannelure.

In my experience with loading 5.56/223 with 55gr fmj cannelure is you want the end of the neck covering atleast half of the cannelure to provide a better crimp and crimp location. Plus this allows it to be loaded in to any 223/5.56 rifle regardless of mag used. One of the things I've noticed is that the shoulder angle is more important than the neck for chambering the round, I've had no issues with having a little extra neck or bullet length, other than fitting in a mag.

The canalure on most 556 bullets isn't for neck tensioning or anything like that. It's meant to help hold on to the lead inside the jacket.

The fact that that crimp/canalure sits around the neck when seated also aids in use with sealants.

That grooved section can be seated above the neck and it won't cause any issues. It may look funny, but it won't affect function.

Just load it to the cannelure. Or buy different bullets without a cannelure. Whenever I buy bullets with a cannelure (usually Hornady Interlocks), I just trim the brass to length and seat the bullet on the cannelure. They are cheap and only use them to get on paper or when I know I won't shoot at anything tough or from real far away. Kind of my version of cheap factory ammo.

30-06 and 300 Weatherby, both loaded with 180gr Hornady Interlock BTSP.

63358FC0-7192-4BED-BF71-2DC2DA84C277.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads