JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, not wanting to spend $500 on a small handgun safe is "pinching pennies." You got me Farva.

3377019-maxresdefault.jpg

I worked 25 years in a jail, I fully understand not being able to carry into work. You do the best you can. Keep that gun on you when you can and as close as possible when you can't.
Like I hinted in the other post , If you make a habit of backing into parking spaces, and always going to your trunk each day people will not notice you transferring your gun.
I'm in CA and glove box, center console's are not places you can store a gun. [ just a CA thing] So if you can find a suitable console vault that might be a good answer in your state. Good luck DR

I worked 25 years in a jail, I fully understand not being able to carry into work. You do the best you can. Keep that gun on you when you can and as close as possible when you can't.
Like I hinted in the other post , If you make a habit of backing into parking spaces, and always going to your trunk each day people will not notice you transferring your gun.
I'm in CA and glove box, center console's are not places you can store a gun. [ just a CA thing] So if you can find a suitable console vault that might be a good answer in your state. Good luck DR
Thank you šŸ˜Œ

Note that "Tuffy Security Products" and "Locker Down" make a similar product like the Console Vault. I don't know, however, if they make one for Subarus.

But this product, if you're willing to spend the money, is one of the best form factors for vehicles IMO. It's reasonably secure and much easier to access than a lock box under one of the seats. It's also well hidden so it's not obvious there is a safe in the car. And it's big enough where it should be able to hold a holstered weapon. Some boxes, like the one I linked below for reference, will only hold the firearm which means you have to pull your gun out of the holster. And the less you have to expose the trigger, the better IMO.

Do give some consideration if you want a safe that utilizes batteries/electronics/biometric/etc. My preference is always for mechanical locks because batteries die and electronics fail...often at the worst possible moment. A mechanical lock is one less thing to have to worry about. I also don't feel that biometric locks, at this price point, have evolved to the point of being reliable enough. Some of them can be pretty finicky. :)

The Dalmbox is an extremely cheap and fragile "safe". It can be broken into in seconds with a screwdriver. Are you sure that's the link you intended to post?

The Dalmbox is an extremely cheap and fragile "safe". It can be broken into in seconds with a screwdriver. Are you sure that's the link you intended to post?
I was only linking it as an example of a smaller form factor that won't be able to hold both a gun and a holster. It was NOT meant to be a recommendation/example of a high quality safe...which I hope people could figure out from the cheap price. :)

I was only linking it as an example of a smaller form factor that won't be able to hold both a gun and a holster. It was NOT meant to be a recommendation/example of a high quality safe...which I hope people could figure out from the cheap price. :)
I probably read your post too fast. Sorry about that.

edit: Typo. Probably from typing too fast. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
The best general advice is the more you spend the longer it takes to break in. Im not that confident of the security cables though even on the Vaulteks. Can anyone share how easy or hard they are to cut?

That would be helpful information.
I still recommend the Vaulteks. No matter the choice everything is a compromise and I recommend something that allows you to arm/disarm from the drivers seat vs. opening a trunk and arming/disarming in view of others, especially potential coworkers in your case.

I still recommend the Vaulteks. No matter the choice everything is a compromise and I recommend something that allows you to arm/disarm from the drivers seat vs. opening a trunk and arming/disarming in view of others, especially potential coworkers in your case.
I agree. I wonder how hard it would be to mount the Vaultek slider safe?

I agree. I wonder how hard it would be to mount the Vaultek slider safe?
In a car like a Subaru... Im skeptical. I have a truck and cant find a place for that which is out of sight.
But my large Vaultek slips under the seat secured by the cable, just pull it out when needed and no one is walking by. Tip: get one big enough to leave the gun in the holster. This is safer for "administrative duties" like arming/disarming. Belt clips instead of belt loops are ideal on the holster for this. Just slip the holster on/off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top