JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I impulse bought a Savage 12FV from Cabela's this week in 6.5 CM. The deal with Savage rebate added was too stupid to pass on. I've read the stock is a throw away and not sure about the accutrigger on this model. I'll shoot from a bench at 600 (TCGC) and then in the open spaces out to ? Never owned a savage so advise is welcome on enhancements. With custom handloads I assume these will 1/2"MOA? Thanks

Nice rifle. I'm all savage. Talk to Terry Right when you see him at 600. He'll tell you what works. Boyd's has stocks and I believe they actually make some of savages laminate stocks. Also check Sharp Shooters Supply for stocks.

Trigger. You want a new trigger. The 12fv has their pedestrian trigger. Not bad but not good enough for target. Yiur only real choice is rifle basix triggers from Triggers – Northland Shooters Supply. There is one from sharpshooters supply as well but most savage guys I know like the rifle basix.

Your action is small shank if you want to change out barrels. Northland sells criterion barrels prefit so it's easy as to change caliber or replace the barrel when you need to.

You can do really well with this rifle as a basis.

I shoot there so we probably know each other. See you at the range.

Goosebrown
Thanks for the help...I've only shot 600 twice so I'll look you up next time I go.
I don't have the Savage yet but shoot a 6mm AR now. Thanks again

I'm a biggish guy with glasses and a beard and some hair on top. I generally just shoot the saturday sessions during the winter because of kid's boyscouts on Tuesdays... I shoot a savage 12 Benchrest and usually on the far left. Ask for me. Lots of the old guys know who I am.

ive shot 600yrds with my savage hunting rifles just messin around with some of my buddies. the guns will do this no problem. its up to you to make it happen!!

savage makes great,accurate rifles. im no bench rest shooter and dont pretend to be. i could see why some would be inclined to change the accutrigger out but for hunting purposes theyre perfect.

i would listen to @Goosebrown hes a smart dude.

Recommend you shoot it first and then see what you want to do.
I have a Savage FCP-K on their Accustock. I've also took an older Savage 112 7mm and converted it to a 338 Edge single shot with a McGowen barrel. If you ever decide to DIY, barrel changes are quite easy on Savages.
  • Trigger: FCP-K has the accu-trigger. It works fine (i.e .the pull is consistent, crisp, and light enough that it doesn't bother me).
    Compared to the Remington stock trigger, the Accutrigger is orders of magnitude better.
    The LA 338 Edge has a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger, which I have set for ~8oz. Every one who has shot it remarks at how sweet it is. I tested it by banging the butt on the floor to see if I get accidental firings. Nope.
  • Stocks: I first put a Choate Varmint Tactical on the 338 Edge. Hated it. For bench shooting, it would be great. For field carry, it sucks. Put a MDT TAC LSS-XL on it. Also not a very good field carry stock. Will go with HS Precision or similar in the future when it becomes more of a priority. I put a MDT-TAC21 on my Rem700 LR, and love it. Heavier than a CF stock, but for now 2# doesn't bother me.
    Recommend you try out as many stocks as possible to see which one feels best in your shoulder. IMO, some just feel wrong, some are perfect, whether it's cheek weld, grip angle or pull length, the differences can add up.
  • Bolt : On both my Savages, the ejector broke. I bought the enhanced ejector and extractor sets from Sharp Shooter Supply. Haven't made the time to install them yet (What am I doing on the web, you ask?). I will write a review once that is done and field tested.
  • Scope Mount : IMO, you don't need a 20MOA rail on that. Not sure what came on the FCP-K, it works just fine. I have a Warne 20 MOA on the 338 Edge.
I don't shoot the FCP-K much. It's my daughter's favorite. She's put 5 shots inside of a nickle (hole OD) at 100, so the rifle will do 1/2 MOA. With the right load in the right hands, I'd bet it will do 1/4 MOA. With the 338 Edge, I recently put 2 shots 1/2" apart at 450 yards (PF Luck, IMO).

Thanks again for the help. I think I'm going to like the accuracy, after maket options and esp the abilty to change barrels out. I'll let you know how it shoots out of the box. Does Savage have barrel break in procedures to follow or how do you "break-in"?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top