JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, with the help of the members on this site, I'm proud to say that I have become a pretty accurate pistol shooter. Never realized how important the grip was until a few of you gave me some pointers, and man what a difference.

The thing is that I take my time and do all of the little things. Shooting slow.

Now I want to work on being able to shoot accurately, but faster from the holster to the target. I try, but when I get the gun up to shoot I find myself looking for the sights then trying to line up with the target, it takes forever compared to the guys I see in competition.

I've started practicing shooting with both eyes open and that has been a slow adjustment for me. Anyway, I was wondering if there were certain drills some of you do to get better that you could share.

Try looking at your target, focus on where you want the hole. Bring the gun up, with practice you will train your muscle memory to consistently bring the gunsights directly into your field of view. At this point your focus goes from the target to the front sight. When the front sight is centered on the location you want to put the hole, making sure that it is also centered in the rear sight. At this exact moment you are "on target" Keep that focus, your upper body should now stay in the zone and where ever your eyes move so should the gun, I like to think of it as kind of like a tank turret, then squeeze the trigger. As you look to the next target you will find the gun is right where you are looking, so focus. Once you get this figured out then you need to quit thinking and "DO"

Dryfire Dryfire Dryfire

These are skills that do not have to use ammunition to hone. Since you already have the shooting down, work only on the draw to target. Your goal from the draw is to get the correct grip, then correct presentation to target, then correct sight picture and squeeze the trigger. You don't even have to drop the hammer, just know the sight picture is correct and squeeze. Set up a few targets in your living room, make sure you have an EMPTY gun, no ammunition in the area, and practice, practice, practice. This is all about muscle memory, so the more you do it correctly, the better and faster it will feel. Don't try to go fast, try to be smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top