JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, I seek basic advice on purchasing an AK. I say "AK" because I'm interested in any model that is 7.62x39, which includes AK-47, AKM, Saiga, etc. There is one stipulation: I'm on a budget, and so I am looking anywhere between $400-500 for this rifle.

Any suggestions, assistance, advice would be beneficial.

You'd be best served getting a Saiga and converting it (about $140 in parts or less if you shop around and a couple hours of time with a cordless drill and a dremel). They are made by Izhmash who is the company that has always built them for the Russian military, so it's the real deal.
The other options in that price range are companies like Century, which I don't recommend due to frequent complaints of shoddy assembly, poor fitting, crooked sights, etc.

Bang for the buck: Saiga

Basic Saiga + bullet guide so you can use regular AK mags, =under $400.

You can enjoy as is while you piece together the rest of the parts to convert to pistol grip config.

Pros= Russian made, factory chrome lined barrel.

Otherwise, keep a careful eye open for used...WASRs, MAKs, ect are good "entry level" ( although prices seem to keep going up ), a quality kit build on a Romy would be OK, as long as it was put together correctly...personally, I'd stay away from any of the newer builds with US barrels, not that they don't work, but I'm partial to "original" barrels.

A MAK90 is the superior AK. The heavier barrel is the key. You can sometimes find them for $500-550, but $600 is more realistic. The Yugo M70 is a fine choice. I own a Saiga in both 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 that I have put Tapco stocks on that are great. I don't care for the WASR's, but some folks love them. Good luck with your AK purchase. I have owned A LOT of AK's and the best one ever I picked up was at Keith's table at the Expo gun show first thing, opening morning about a year ago. Norinco MAK90 with a Tapco 6 position stock and a rail on the cover for $400. I can't believe no one else had grabbed it. I can't believe it was priced so low. It is the best shooter I have owned and I almost feel like I stole it. Whether it's a MAK90 or WASR or whatever, sometimes you get a good one, rarely you get a bad one. I have found that in general all AK's function reliably and are reasonably accurate. With all of my 47's and 74's they are at least accurate to 200 yards. Kip.

Its hard to go wrong with any of the entry level AKs on the retail market these days. If you stick with the basics, WASR, Saiga, etc, they are all good. Its really just about what appeals to you.

Keith

I just ordered a converted Saiga rifle from Classic Firearms today. The cost of the rifle, shipping, FFL transfer, and background check puts the price right at $520.00. I considered a WASR for the longest time, but what pushed me over the edge was the fact that WASR's are made from new and used parts, and can vary quite a bit from rifle to rifle. This Saiga is 100% brand new, and has more good reviews than I can shake a stick at. I saved myself the time and trouble of converting it because the cost in parts and my time & trouble were totally worth buying one already converted.

http://classicarms.us/Saiga.htm

We are local and we offer a large variety of AK rifles. For a cheaper but quality AK 47 check out the Interarms brand, they are chrome lined barrels and the quality will beat any Century AK out there and they have a lifetime warranty and with the Century AK's you get 1 yr and that starts the day it leave Century not the day you buy it. We also stock Arsenal AK's the SGL21-61 is a great rifle for a little more $. If you have any question PM me or email us [email protected]

Rich

Depends what you want it for. If its just for play, then go with advice above. If its for something more serious, save your money and get something nicer when you have the funds. The Saiga option is a good middle ground. I'd personally wait till I scraped together $1,000.

Another option, look around for a VEPR. They were imported by Robinson Armament in Utah for a while. They don't look like the traditional AK, as they use polymer stocks and have a different back end to the receiver. But they used RPK barrels, trunions, and receivers, making the action a bit more rigid, less flex, more accurate. Price new, they were around $600. Seen them listed on some of the gun sites for as high as $1K. Locally, saw one in the LGS asking price was $550 for .223 Vepr K model (used). So they are around. They made them in several calibers: .223, .308, 5.45, 7.62x39

VEPR.jpg

I was at the gun show on saturday looking into AK's as well. Here's a few choices
A stock (sporterized) saiga is $400
A converted Saiga: pistol grip, polymer stock, and maybe a bullet guide for $540
An fully restored Saiga, in other words an Arsenal, is $800

You might try the M10 762 AK variant. All new parts and built by century unlike their WASR which are surplus parts. The M10 are $500 online

I've got a WASR10 I refinished and it's fantastic. Holes touching at 50 yards, offhand. A smattering of 1 inch groups at 100 yards, offhand. The bore is chrome lined. I had to clean off the excessive cosmo and replace the shepherd's hook with a retaining plate from Midway (Google this mod, about $10) but that's about it. I use surplus steel mags and I've got no mag wobble, trigger slap, or any of that stuff. In fact, the G2 trigger group is really nice, nicer than what came on the AR I used to have. I can honestly say I've had no FTF after one year of consistent use. It was a great purchase for $450.

I would say get something that is an original built... not something made from old/used and new parts (that is just me). I like my AK to have a chrome lined barrel, mag dimples but most AKs have mag wobble to a point so I guess as long as it feeds it's all good. I have never owned a wasr nor have I shot one but I think I would avoid them unless you find them for very cheap.
If you can wait for a bit, you should check out the link I am providing you with.... the only downside I really see is that AK in the link does not have any mag dimples but it looks very nice and clean.

M10-762 Semi-Auto AK Style Rifle 7.62x39 $499.00 SHIPS FREE

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top