JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So I did it. The goal was to make my circa 1990 Springfield 67f 20 gauge look like a Viet Nam era military Stevens 77E, So I ordered a Viet Nam era butt stock complete with the red T style recoil pad from Sarco ($30 after including shipping), an era correct cotton sling ($7), and some swivels ($12), I still need a bead sight.

I stripped the fore grip and had trouble getting the stain to match the stock, I was ready to try soaking it in dirty motor oil till I spied my black shoe polish, that did the trick.

I decided to cut the barrel to 18 1/2" even though the correct length would be 20" for a Viet Nam era shotty, which I am fine with because it is a 20 gauge and isn't a Viet Nam shot gun, just a wanna be.

First ever gun project results. Must say I am happy with it.

Springfield67F2.jpg

Something I noticed: It looks like the "pitch" of the stock is cut at zero degrees, aka perpendicular to the bore. Depending on the shooter this may cause some problems with recoil pushing the muzzle up instead of straight back, and pain in the lower part of the shoulder pocket. I had to do a lot of research into pitch when I cut my stock down.

==========================================
Thanks for the reply and info.

As it happens I do have a large pipe cutter and a belt sander, counter sinks and some deburing tools.

That just leaves the site to be dealt with, and to refinish the stock.

I "bubba-ed" up a shotgun before. I bought a 25 year-old pumpaction mossberg (if i remember correctly) with a 21+ inch barrel for a measly $80. I found through craigslist some one who was willing to cut my barrel down to about 18" using his steel pipe saw cutter. It was down to 18" in about 30 seconds. Then I went back home, got my steel timber bark shaver, and carefully deburred and smoothed out the cut. Then I carefully took off some of the blued finish on the barrel where I wanted my new bead sight to be and welded on a new bead sight (I used a tiny piece of well-formed scrap metal as my new bead sight. worked perfectly). To get it centered, I simply used a yard-long ruler and a makeshift laser alignment sight made from those $10 laser pointers you can get a walmart. Seeing how it's a relatively short barreled shotgun, perfect alignment is not an issue, but to the naked eye, I got mine pretty damn well aligned.

So there you go.

I cut the barrel with a steel pipe rotating saw blade (don't know the term for it. not very handy with tools myself. i did what i could for fun)
Deburred and smoothed out the cut barrel end.
Welded on a new bead sight.

Voila. An $80 18" pumpaction 12 guage shotgun.

I could of used that money to take the family out to Olive Garden... but I'd rather have a shotgun.

I sold that thing for $100 to a fellow who wanted to use it as a slug gun about 5 months ago, and later saved up enough to get a Benelli Tactical SuperNova. I call it an upgrade, but my $80 make-shift shotgun did the same job my fancy-schmancy new benelli does.

I'd also like to point out that my sister went through the same experience too about 2 years ago. She suddenly realized how awesome firearms were, and wanted to have some as defense weapons. I gave her an AK-74 for her birthday. It was a Century Arms build, so it wasn't too expensive, but I was lucky enough to find a Century build gun that actually worked like a charm. I got her that because the 5.45x39 coming out of a 74 has nearly zero recoil, but the same ballistics (if not better) as the AR-15 with 5.56NATO. That helped since she's thin and petite, and the time she shot my 12 guage, she flew back about 100 feet. I also swapped the buttstock for a folding one that had a shorter length of pull since she's 5'3". Swapped the standard AK leaf sights for a ghost sight, so the sight picture looked more like an M1A or an AR-15.

She and her boyfriend personally bought more accessories for it later. I believe now it has a quadrail with vertical grip and flashlight. She also got a sky blue sling for it (I tell her that it'll make her stick out like a sore thumb if shtf, but she's doesn't listen...). Either way, she shoots better than me with it. She's thinking about getting a 38 special revolver or 9mm semi soon.

My law a shotgun must have a 18" or longer. 17.999999 falls under the nfa act of 1934

since when can you buy a firearm on craigslist?

yes I have raised the bull bubblegum flag

My law a shotgun must have a 18" or longer. 17.999999 falls under the nfa act of 1934

since when can you buy a firearm on craigslist?

yes I have raised the bull bubblegum flag

I didn't buy the gun off craigslist. I posted an ad on craigslist asking for somebody who could cut steel pipes and offered a small sum of cash if he/she could cut down one "pipe" for me. Found a guy who was also a firearm hobbyist who was willing to cut mine down for free.

I bought my shotty from Lynnwood Guns & Ammo. Randy has a lot of used shotguns that he sells for dirt cheap prices.

So no, it's not bullsh*t. I would not take the time to type out a rather long and thoughtful post if it was just bullsh*t.

Oh and I also made a plasma rifle within the 40W range that can shoot down a Blackhawk from a mile away. I used a PVC pipe, a 40W lightbulb, and baking soda. Don't ask me how I did it. Madmax, it's not bullsh*t I swear.

you say typo I call bull bubblegum

Thanks again MOD for editing everything "you" don't like, protecting the second while killing the frist

Right! I see whats going on, call your buddy in to e-thug as a cover up. I called bull bubblegum and your action show the truth

Nice, Feedback score by the way. Nice to see your a blue falcon too

Seeing how your both new to site, try bring something to the site. not try to change it and drag it down

Caliber makes a lengthy post contributing to this thread, and then you make a useless post raising the bullsh!t flag.

you, buddy, are dragging the site down.

i can tell the kind of guy you are. extremely anal. mad at everybody for your own insecurities. living life with a bunch of regrets and distorted perceptions. I've seen a dozen and half of guys like you in the general firearms community. it's a$$holes like you that give the general public the idea that gun owners are angry, unfriendly, anal dumba$$es.

I'm not going to say any further. Anything you say after this is just fueling the fire. Good night sweet prince.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads