JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I just used a handheld electric drill. I marked it as described above to get the mark centered, then used a center punch to start a hole (keeps the drill bit from wandering and marring things up) and just carefully drilled. Repro heat shields run about $100 - but if you want your 77 to look like a Viet Nam era weapon, leave the heat shield off.

I just used a handheld electric drill. I marked it as described above to get the mark centered, then used a center punch to start a hole (keeps the drill bit from wandering and marring things up) and just carefully drilled. Repro heat shields run about $100 - but if you want your 77 to look like a Viet Nam era weapon, leave the heat shield off.

=================================================

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, my gun is actually a 67F that I am trying to make look like a 77 for the coolness factor and because you can't really hunt with a 20 gauge any more due to the steel shot issues. Shipping expense is adding to my cost, I am about $45 into it with stock and sight and I still need a sling and I guess a barrel swivel.

gunnails, post a photo when you finish the project - it should look great. When looking for sling swivels, barrel band and a sling I found that gun-parts.com and sarco are both good sources.

What is that Springfield worth? You may find it easier to just sell it and buy her a nice Mossberg 500 12 GA fighting gun on sale at Big 5. It would be new and likely more reliable in the long run, too. I always install a tritium front bead sight on fighting shotguns

What is that Springfield worth? You may find it easier to just sell it and buy her a nice Mossberg 500 12 GA fighting gun on sale at Big 5. It would be new and likely more reliable in the long run, too. I always install a tritium front bead sight on fighting shotguns

====================================================

It's probably worth around $75 to $100 in the condition it is in. I agree she would be better off with a 500 or 870 with an 18" barrel. A 20 gauge mite be the best thing for a petite inexperienced woman.

I think this will be a fun and easy project, that will give a new purpose to an otherwise obsolete hunting shot gun.

Civilian
I realize it does not really need a bead sight, but for training purposes, shooting clays, it would be handy.

====================================================

It's probably worth around $75 to $100 in the condition it is in. I agree she would be better off with a 500 or 870 with an 18" barrel. A 20 gauge mite be the best thing for a petite inexperienced woman.

I think this will be a fun and easy project, that will give a new purpose to an otherwise obsolete hunting shot gun.

Civilian
I realize it does not really need a bead sight, but for training purposes, shooting clays, it would be handy.

I can't see it selling that low but I am not sure. As far as recoil there are new low recoil tactical buckshot `12 GA loads that don't kick any more than a 20 ga..

I'm all thumbs when it comes to things like cutting and drilling so when I started getting into things like "social" shotguns I asked a few of the local shops about a job like this. Turns out they're not all that inexpensive and turn-around was going to be a while (several months in some cases). I had thought it to be a fairly simple job for a qualified gunsmith; easy money maker.

Some of the guys on ar15.com were raving about a guy in Kentucky by the name of Steve Rose of Rose Action Sports. Looked into it a bit and decided to send him a barrel. Ten days after I sent it, the barrel is back on my doorstep and is PERFECT. So, for a simple cut and "crown" with return shipping/insurance is $50 add a bead for $10 more and its back in 10-days! Couldn't ask for better work or service. Steve has done five different barrels for me now and there'll be more in the future. Four of the five were back in exactly 10-days, the fifth was a bit more involved (...and a bit more expensive - removing rib and adding base for bead) and took 14-days.

So I did it. The goal was to make my circa 1990 Springfield 67f 20 gauge look like a Viet Nam era military Stevens 77E, So I ordered a Viet Nam era butt stock complete with the red T style recoil pad from Sarco ($30 after including shipping), an era correct cotton sling ($7), and some swivels ($12), I still need a bead sight.

I stripped the fore grip and had trouble getting the stain to match the stock, I was ready to try soaking it in dirty motor oil till I spied my black shoe polish, that did the trick.

I decided to cut the barrel to 18 1/2" even though the correct length would be 20" for a Viet Nam era shotty, which I am fine with because it is a 20 gauge and isn't a Viet Nam shot gun, just a wanna be.

First ever gun project results. Must say I am happy with it.

Springfield67F2.jpg
Springfield67F1.jpg

Before picture.
P1010302.jpg

I like it a lot. The stock looks "right" and the forearm matches nicely. Well done.

===========================================================

Thanks, The stock is from the Viet Nam era, came kinda of beat up a bit, so you can tell it's been around awhile.

Even with the recoil pad it is no longer then the original stock I cut down, so quite short, I understand the US would issue these to the locals and that is why.

Looks GREAT!

...So I ordered a Viet Nam era butt stock complete with the red T style recoil pad from Sarco ($30 after including shipping), an era correct cotton sling ($7), and some swivels ($12)

Do you happen to have a link to the parts? Was just checking out their site and didn't see any of the parts you were able to get.

Looks GREAT!

Do you happen to have a link to the parts? Was just checking out their site and didn't see any of the parts you were able to get.

============================================================

Link for the stock. Stevens M77,Buttstock w/Recoil pad,New G.I.

The sling and swivels I got locally. Neither the swivel nor the sling or exactly correct, but close enough for my purposes.

The correct swivels can be found here. Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

i like it! makes me wish i had an old shotty to chop... i can appreciate you putting this together yourself instead of buying a new one for your sister. i think it'll mean more to her. and i bet it was fun

I just used a hacksaw and a grinder to pretty it up. A round file to chamfer the inside. Followed it up with some 600 grit and then 1500 grit sand paper. Looks better than many I have seen. I installed the sight with a lot of measuring and eyeballing. For a Home Defense Shotty, it is fine. I am not going to win any long distance acuracy competitions but then with a 18.5 inch barrel, who would expect you to.

I blued the edges as well.

A good trick to see how things are acting at the barrel exit is to paint the inside of the tip and the tip with white field marker. You can then shoot it and will be able to see if there are any places you need to chamfer more.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top