JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Least expensive route would be to pin and weld a long brake on it. It you're capable of doing this yourself, that's about $100-$150 less than having a smith do it. $20-$50 for the long brake and done.

I'd personally swap the barrels on the upper, but that would likely mean it would also need another rail? Unless this is a carbine length with regular plastic two piece hand guards? In that case buy a carbine length A2 sighted barrel and reuse the delta ring and hand guard cap from this set up. Sell the barrel to make up for costs of new barrel. Maybe come out even?

Third option, SBR it. Tada, you get a stock and lose $200 dollars after a months wait.

May not be up your alley, but another option is to file a BATFE Form 1 and register the weapon as an SBR. Then you can do pretty much anything you want to with it.

As they say, one man's opinion.....
The only problem with that is the state-to-state traveling becomes a bit problematic

It's a multifold thing- the legal bonuses of pistol v. rifle are nice, but the compact factor doesn't really make a huge difference with just 5" of change in this particular case. Maybe if I put a folder on, and had an even shorter upper. The whole AR pistol & brace BS Saga re: yea/nay//legality is annoying, and having injuries I was hoping it would be more useful for one handed shooting when I wanted to - but I think I'd need to go super light for that to actually work well (which this is not).

Good question though, and good to know it basically maintains the ballistic of the barrel.
sorry, i am slow on the uptake today- still not clear exactly what you dont like about the 10.5" pistol, and what you're looking to gain by having a rifle?
I don't follow the bit about injuries and one handed shooting; Are you injured now or are you saying if you were to become injured ? Is your focus on replacing the brace with a proper stock ? If so, I would absolutely not suggest that in the privacy of your own home, you should slip a stock on instead of the brace and see if it delivers the difference you're expecting, before committing.....
Personally I like braces, they allow me to have a shorter, lighter 10.5" AR for around the house and casual 100yrd shooting. They are ( for now) legal, you can shoulder it like it was a stock and for 99.9% of shooting it functions as a stock. So for all intents and purposes, it behaves like a rifle , albeit it shorter, lighter one.
If I want a rifle length AR, then I'm going to want all 16" of barrel length to be rifled barrel and not flash hider.

sorry, i am slow on the uptake today- still not clear exactly what you dont like about the 10.5" pistol, and what you're looking to gain by having a rifle?
I don't follow the bit about injuries and one handed shooting; Are you injured now or are you saying if you were to become injured ? Is your focus on replacing the brace with a proper stock ? If so, I would absolutely not suggest that in the privacy of your own home, you should slip a stock on instead of the brace and see if it delivers the difference you're expecting, before committing.....
Personally I like braces, they allow me to have a shorter, lighter 10.5" AR for around the house and casual 100yrd shooting. They are ( for now) legal, you can shoulder it like it was a stock and for 99.9% of shooting it functions as a stock. So for all intents and purposes, it behaves like a rifle , albeit it shorter, lighter one.
If I want a rifle length AR, then I'm going to want all 16" of barrel length to be rifled barrel and not flash hider.
I want the ballistics, the stock, the lack of 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' on Pistol/Brace issues- and the madness that will ensue if that happens .

I have shoulder and wrist injuries, which I thought might be less agrivated by the lighter weight, or the brace but not by any measurable amount. Again, maybe if it was a super-light build, but I digress.

Yes braces are allegedly shoulder-able, but that said the hard elements can be quite uncomfortable to soft tissue, as well (part of the 'not a stock' features, apparently - hard plastic protrusions)

I think that maybe I'll learn a little more and swap out the barrel, or do what I can to get a proper upper, because yes the flash hider is a fairly lame workaround. I mean, a lot of the nuances of the AR pistol platform are really just workarounds because of the frustrating firearms legal ins-and-outs.

Ahhh Ok gotcha. have you shot regular stocked ARs much or already have a favorite stock? If you haven't, then you might still want to try out a few options before you start wrenching on your upper.
If hard plastic is an annoyance, there's a few you'll probably want to avoid-

No crystal ball, but I'm not that worried about Braces being a legal issue, more ARs as a whole

They can install your barrel/gas block/gas tube and handguard for a very reasonable price and they have always done right by me.

There are also a lot of solid members here with experience building AR's that could help/teach/show you how to swap barrels, etc. Just got to ask! ;)

Submit the interstate travel form to the ATF each January asking for a year of authorization. It's not the big deal people make it out to be. And how often do people really take their SBR to other states?

I also have beat up joints and the lighter SBR format makes a world of difference.

Submit the interstate travel form to the ATF each January asking for a year of authorization. It's not the big deal people make it out to be. And how often do people really take their SBR to other states?

I also have beat up joints and the lighter SBR format makes a world of difference.
I'm AZ in the winter and WA in the summer.....so yea big issue for me

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have a 10.5 carbine upper that i do not use. I have it on the classifieds to try to trade for a 16" upper.
if you want to just swap out your barrel, primary arms has a 16" strike industries CHF carbine barrel on sale for $160 right now and i also saw a 16" Sig Sauer CHF barrel on Sigs site for a similar price.

edit: sorry just remembered the strike industries barrel is 14.5 with a pinned slim comp

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have a 10.5 carbine upper that i do not use. I have it on the classifieds to try to trade for a 16" upper.
if you want to just swap out your barrel, primary arms has a 16" strike industries CHF carbine barrel on sale for $160 right now and i also saw a 16" Sig Sauer CHF barrel on Sigs site for a similar price.

edit: sorry just remembered the strike industries barrel is 14.5 with a pinned slim comp

Not legal advice but as I understand it, a pistol can be turned into a rifle with no consequences. Turning a rifle into a pistol is not allowed unless it originally started as a pistol under the same owner.

Not legal advice but as I understand it, a pistol can be turned into a rifle with no consequences. Turning a rifle into a pistol is not allowed unless it originally started as a pistol under the same owner.
Oh absolutely. That's part of the reason I bought it as a pistol, for the flexibility.

The FFL I bought my stripped lowers from were registered as "other" so it is up to me if I want to build an AR rifle or pistol. I can always make my AR pistol a rifle or vise a versa again. I originally bought an AR rifle and I always leave my rifle complete since I bought it that way from the factory.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top