JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I grew up shooting as a kid, but have only recently gotten back into it as an adult. I have been reading reviews on handguns and going to gun shows and have it narrowed down on what I want to buy. What I'm wondering is if there is any advice on how to complete private party transactions. I live in Oregon, and know to only buy from Oregon sellers. As a seller, it seems that many consider it a good idea to draw up a bill of sale. I'm wondering if this is something I should ask for as a buyer as well. Is it considered rude to ask to see a seller's ID and write down the information on a bill of sale? Is it strange to not have a seller ask me for ID? Some thoughts about this from the veterans of firearms procurement out there would be much appreciated.

Ask what you need to ask,just be respectful.Last thing I tolerate when selling a gun is some rude MOFO. You don't get the gun for any price.

But if you want to ask for ID then do.If they are offended,don't buy from them.

Personally,the only ID I need is dead presidents,as long as I don't have any negative vibes from the buyer.

As the buyer,there is mostly no liability on you,that I would see.
But same thing applies,if the dude is scary,then don't do the deal.

Always a risk when making private purchases from unknown persons. Buy from licensed dealers. They will give you a receipt, or bill of sale, and you know the gun you are buying is not stolen.

Unfortunately you can't always find the guns you want for sale at dealers so private party sales are needed too.
Just lay the ground rules before you meet for the transaction, let them know you'll want a bill of sale and to see thier ID if that's what makes you comfortable.

Ask what you need to ask,just be respectful.Last thing I tolerate when selling a gun is some rude MOFO. You don't get the gun for any price.

But if you want to ask for ID then do.If they are offended,don't buy from them.

Personally,the only ID I need is dead presidents,as long as I don't have any negative vibes from the buyer.

As the buyer,there is mostly no liability on you,that I would see.
But same thing applies,if the dude is scary,then don't do the deal.

This.

A lot of people don't want paperwork saying they are selling/buying a firearm.
But in the case you want a BOS as a buyer I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but be up front about it. Before even looking at the gun tell the person selling what you want.

As far as I'm concerned I would ask for ID, just to make sure they are from the state you reside in. Make sure your not commiting a fed crime and explain it that way to the seller, if they don't want to do it. I would walk away.

Also, remember the name on the ID, and get a license plate, call the state police or some LE agency to check the serial number and make sure it's not stolen or used in a crime. If it is, then turn over the weapon and give them all the info you have on the guy/girl.

levi333 had a great suggestion. dean_ad posted this (<broken link removed>) a few days back. You can download/print and take with you. Fill in the blanks when you get there.

Always a risk when making private purchases from unknown persons. Buy from licensed dealers. They will give you a receipt, or bill of sale, and you know the gun you are buying is not stolen.

A lot pf people find a paper trail unacceptable. Can't say I blame them after the gun confiscations that have gone on around the country

There ARE stolen guns out there, and you need some assurance if you don't know the seller. It is NOT offensive to ask for a mutual bill of sale that matches their ID and a copy for both of you, and it is their choice whether to go that route or not to sell to you. The seller too might want a bill of sale to be able to prove where the gun went to, and that you have legal ID. On the other hand, if you feel confident in the person, a simple handshake deal after viewing each other's ID feels great, like old-fashioned patriotism at its best......................elsullo

Very true. If I don't know the guy and I'm buying FTF:

Me: "Please don't take this personally, but I don't know you or the history of the gun (implying stolen?), would you mind if we exchange information?"
Seller: "I ain't giving you any info...." (or something along those lines)
Me: Walk away. Something may not be right. It isn't worth it to me.

If I'm selling:

Me: "I'll need to see some ID...."
Buyer: "Why? I'm not giving you anything other than cash."
Me: "Please don't take this personally, but I don't know you and if you go out and commit a crime and it is traced back to me, I want something that says I sold it.... OR, if your house is broken into and it is used in a crime and traced back to me, I want something saying I sold it."

The suggestion about being upfront about wanting a bill of sale (BOS) is right on. There are a lot of sellers on this forum that ask for that information up front. If the person buying or selling the item does not like it, don't complete the transaction.

Very true. If I don't know the guy and I'm buying FTF:

Me: "Please don't take this personally, but I don't know you or the history of the gun (implying stolen?), would you mind if we exchange information?"
Seller: "I ain't giving you any info...." (or something along those lines)
Me: Walk away. Something may not be right. It isn't worth it to me.

If I'm selling:

Me: "I'll need to see some ID...."
Buyer: "Why? I'm not giving you anything other than cash."
Me: "Please don't take this personally, but I don't know you and if you go out and commit a crime and it is traced back to me, I want something that says I sold it.... OR, if your house is broken into and it is used in a crime and traced back to me, I want something saying I sold it."

Good to know who I'll never do business with.

Thanks for all the advice folks, keep it coming if you want. I agree that a paperless transfer between two Americans should be all that is required. Unfortunately, the world isn't paperless, guns have trails, and I do want some sort of record of the transfer in case someone ever does ask. I think I'll just plan on making the request for ID and bill of sale up front and only deal with folks who will abide.

Do many others besides clearconscience check with LE agencies to see if the guns they just purchased are hot or wanted? I would like to keep those sorts of "agencies" out of our lives as much as possible, and don't want to add to a gun's trail.

If I want to legally buy some weapons "off the grid" (so I'm the only one who knows I own them), I wonder how many sellers would feel like giving me their personal info if I'm not willing to disclose my own. Kind of a two-way street, I guess.

Do many others besides clearconscience check with LE agencies to see if the guns they just purchased are hot or wanted? I would like to keep those sorts of "agencies" out of our lives as much as possible, and don't want to add to a gun's trail.

Well it depends on what you buying the gun for. If your buying the gun for an everyday shooter, carrying, home defense, etc then I would check to see if it's stolen. I've been stopped shooting in the woods and had the LEOs check my gun serial number to see if their legit (This was only on my AR) , but if your just keeping it stored away for a shtf gun then who cares.

Personally I would rather have a LEO agency check the gun if I'm going to take a chance of later having a LEO check it and if it's stolen and you get it confiscated 5-10 years after you won't remember anything about the guy that sold it, and now way to prosecute. And you may be charged with possesion of stolen property. Or at very least have your gun taken and be left with no gun, and no money.

As an FTF buyer, would it be unreasonable to ask that, as a condition of purchase, you be told the S# before the money changes hands so you can confirm it's not on the stolen list?

As an FTF buyer, after asking the above, would you accept from the seller, "I am the original purchaser and will show you the store receipt with my name and gun S#."

MrB+
--
Working my way up to A--

Well it depends on what you buying the gun for. If your buying the gun for an everyday shooter, carrying, home defense, etc then I would check to see if it's stolen. I've been stopped shooting in the woods and had the LEOs check my gun serial number to see if their legit (This was only on my AR) , but if your just keeping it stored away for a shtf gun then who cares.

Personally I would rather have a LEO agency check the gun if I'm going to take a chance of later having a LEO check it and if it's stolen and you get it confiscated 5-10 years after you won't remember anything about the guy that sold it, and now way to prosecute. And you may be charged with possesion of stolen property. Or at very least have your gun taken and be left with no gun, and no money.

How did they go about this? Why did you let them?

I miss something here?

Oh and I used to put in my adds that they needed to bring a copy of their IDs with them and we would exchange those papers.

If I want to legally buy some weapons "off the grid" (so I'm the only one who knows I own them), I wonder how many sellers would feel like giving me their personal info if I'm not willing to disclose my own. Kind of a two-way street, I guess.

"Personal info" is one thing, asking for some sort of ID is another. I bought 2 and sold one. Exchanged nothing more than CPL# on one, and name & WDL# on the other two. No SSN, birth date, address, etc. Just something (more than nothing) that the person is who they say they are.... and hopefully deter a "convict" (or criminal) of trying to purchase from me. I wouldn't ever want to go through the ramifications if they were to take it and do "harm" with it.

If you are willing to risk it, so be it. I personally am not.

I have had a gun confiscated, and I never will, I take precautions to ensure it doesn't happen.

I'm just stating the worst case senario.

A little confused. Is this to assume that you purchased a stolen ("hot") gun and it was tracked to you? And that the next time you do it you don't want anyone to track you down?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top