JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had an sub $100 Tasco Varmint on my LR-308 at first. worked well enough shooting 3-4" rocks at 300 yds after sighting it in.

But I second the Vortex option. I have 2 of their scopes, 1 is on my LR 308 now, and one on my Weatherby 308 bolt. great scopes, and from what i hear, amazing warranty, though i havent needed it yet

Leupold makes redfield in the same facilities. On difference is the options of different kind of scope and the price. I still have family and friends that work for leupold.

I have a Vortex Viper 6-24 x 50 MilDot on my Bushmaster and I'm loving it. They warranty their products forever, no matter who owns them. Customer service is very responsive and positive.

Received the VX1 4-12x40 duplex reticle today, scope surface marred/scratched and reticle has a discontinuity in the thick portion of the horizontal line, going back :(
I have to say however from the few mins that I played with it, the reticle is super sharp and the view is very clear...now the waiting game again.

Received the VX1 4-12x40 duplex reticle today, scope surface marred/scratched and reticle has a discontinuity in the thick portion of the horizontal line, going back :(
I have to say however from the few mins that I played with it, the reticle is super sharp and the view is very clear...now the waiting game again.

Sounds like your supplier shipped you a scope that may have been returned previously.

Well it did have shrink wrap around it, so I kinda dismissed this idea, but going by everyone's opinions on the forums about the legendary quality for Leupold, what I received was far from legendary and definitely not up to the price I'm paying.

From what I've been hearing and also reading, Leupold is living on their old reputation, not necessarily the current quality of their product.

I recently bought a NightForce NXS 12-42x56 and THEY absolutely come through on Quality. They ought to for the price they charge:)

No they only offer the VX1 in a duplex, wide duplex or LR duplex reticle, no mil dots at all. I am trying to choose between the wide vs the LR duplex, will probably buy the LR duplex, although the lines seem thicker than the wide duplex am thinking the dots will help will long range shooting if I decide to do it.

'Mil' or Milradian (not military) is less precision than the MOA I believe. Im sure someone on here will correct me if Im wrong. But a MOA is 1/4" adjustments (typical) while I think a MIL is 1.2". So the MOA will allow you to make finer adjustments as long as that is your goal. I know the technicalities go far deeper than that but again, but Im sure someone here can correct or clarify this.

From what I've been hearing and also reading, Leupold is living on their old reputation, not necessarily the current quality of their product.

I recently bought a NightForce NXS 12-42x56 and THEY absolutely come through on Quality. They ought to for the price they charge:)

If you are unhappy with your product, they are also Legendary for customer service. See what they can do to make you happy.

'Mil' or Milradian (not military) is less precision than the MOA I believe. Im sure someone on here will correct me if Im wrong. But a MOA is 1/4" adjustments (typical) while I think a MIL is 1.2". So the MOA will allow you to make finer adjustments as long as that is your goal. I know the technicalities go far deeper than that but again, but Im sure someone here can correct or clarify this.

1 milliradian ~ .0573 degree
1 MOA = 1/60 degree ~ .01667 degree ~ 0.291 milliradian

That should clear things up :huh:

1 milliradian ~ .0573 degree
1 MOA = 1/60 degree ~ .01667 degree ~ 0.291 milliradian

That should clear things up :huh:

Ok, so a mildot is actually 3.6" at 100 yards right?
Was I way out in right field on my premise of MOA vs Mil?
A typical MOA adjustment is 1/4" right? if you have a MOA scope, and are zeroing at 100 yards and are 2 inches low you are going to adjust 8 clicks in elevation. So a precision (bench rifle) will typically use a MOA scope?

Did you send it back to your vendor, or directly to Leupold?

I dealt with Leupold a few years ago on a couple of scopes that needed attention. One was a late 60's 3-9x40 and the other a newer fixed 4x. Their idea of customer service is second to none. I couldn't have been happier.
I have owned several Leupold scopes over the last decade or so, and have been very happy with all of them.

As recently as a few years ago I directly compared Leupold to Nikon. (I'm a very happy Nikon camera owner) Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference and really like the idea of buying a local product. I don't think I would have been less happy with the Nikon, so I wouldn't fault anyone for buying Nikon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top