JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 14yr old daughter has been doing so much extra around the house/farm for some time now. She's always trying to make extra money as she can't work here in Oregon until she's older. I always have her keep track of her hours and when I asked what I owed her she said she'd much rather have a day alone with me to go fishing. Now, I'm not new to fishing but gave it up years ago, as I got tired of never catching anything. Everyone around me always catches something but not me, heck even switching poles with them they'd catch one on my pole, LOL.
Sorry, got off topic. Im looking for a place to drop the boat in that's not a busy ramp as my other helpers will not be there and I'm not the guy who likes to tie up the ramp while getting/parking the truck and trailer. She doesn't care what type of fish, just wants to catch.
My boat isint a fishing boat but I'm sure it'll do fine, just better not get it dirty, LOL.We may be able to troll with a couple sea anchors but it's a heavy V8 powerboat that likes speed, so not sure how slow we can get it. If anyone has a suggestion of a place within an hour or so of Salem that would be great. Last time up at Detroit Mongold ramp the dock was almost unusable due to the water level but it's been over a month.

Hagg Lake is about 1hr 15min from Salem.

Stocked regularly w/ rainbow trout and also has bass, bluegill, perch.

Has two boat ramps. I have never experienced any hostilities launching, even when there are 3-4 people waiting in line to launch, everybody there is pretty cordial.

Powerbait, worm & marshmallow, jig w/ piece of worm on the hook and 4'-6' below a bobber, you are almost guaranteed to catch something.

Edit: A lot of people troll for trout there and do well. I have only still / bottom fished.

Last Edited:
I would forgo the ski boat and go to a walk-in lake or pond that is being stocked by ODFW.
Peaceful with no boat drama.
Think Mayberry RFD.
St. Louis Ponds come to mind.
Walter Wirth has been ruined by a homeless encampment the reports say.

You could also call ODFW see what they suggest.
I haven't called them in years but Carol was always helpful when I did.

Last Edited:
The Umpqua around Tyee is chock a block full of Small Mouth Bass right now. Leave the boat at home and just fish off the ledges. Cast your bait or lure up on the under water ledge, jig the tip until whatever you're fishing with slips off the top of the ledge and let it flutter down the face of the drop off.

Clear lake is great on the McKenzie. Clear water, no motors, boats to rent. Take your drift boat if you have one. Food at the lodge is great. Just take 22 East and the take the highway back towards Springfield 8 miles. Fishing great early morning or evening.

... when I asked what I owed her she said she'd much rather have a day alone with me to go fishing.
Don't fish so can't advise on that topic, but your daughter is at the age where your willingness to spend quality time with her is most important. She'll fly the nest soon enough, so right now is the golden time. How you interact with her, what you say and how you say it, reinforces the love and esteem she already has for you. Men do 'report talk' but women do 'rapport talk.' When you listen without judgement and encourage her to share her hopes and dreams, the subliminal message is 'you are important to me, and I value our relationship.'

My daughter would roll her eyes when I had 'the talk' with every guy that wanted to date her. But years later she said it secretly made her feel important at the time, and she knew I did it because I valued her safety more than some young guys feelings. Best wishes, Bob

Lets see...14 yr old female...first time fishing.... :s0153:
I was going to suggest shore fishing...but lots of posts beat me to it...
.... so I'll simply add, just make sure you have cell reception if it's a slow day.

(really, I could be saving your life, or at least your sanity!)

Definitely not her first time fishing, just the first time in several years, lol. Thank you everyone for the advice, I'm eyeing the weather and hoping for a great day.

If you really want to have a relaxing day fishing with your daughter and don't want to bother with your boat then you might want to check out this thread that I started. Sure it's a long drive for you but you will enjoy fishing catching with your daughter on my boat, just ask around.

Above all else....have fun and make her feel like she is having fun and getting time with you......doesn't mean giving a trophy for no fish or 100 fish......an ice cream or chicken nuggets afterwards (whatever) find a way to connect.....that's the trophy

My daughter loved to go crabbing on the coast. There's always action and most times we would catch enough for a couple of dinners.
If you don't want to get your boat salty, you can rent one for the incoming tide.

Walter Wirth has been ruined by a homeless encampment the reports say.
That's an understatement. Stopped in there twice in the past six months. The fist time to walk my dog, felt like I needed to wash when I came out of there. The second time out of morbid curiosity to see if anything had changed. Nope.
Up on the Santiam? Teach her how to fly fish - the ultimate in bank fishing.

29FB4FA1-E796-4420-A3E8-F40DA2873421.jpeg
Well, we've had our lines in the water for a couple hours, no bites. We put in at Detroit Lake this morning. At least the weather is perfect. I swear, there's a reason I quit fishing years ago but, I'll do anything to spend a great day for my kids. Even took my oldest son and great family friend. Four lines in the water, hopefully get something.

Bank fish the north Santiam for rainbows or fortify the gear and grab some chest waders and hook into some summer steelhead. Usually the best water to fish is in the morning and evenings and check the river level at Mehama 3.5 to 4' of clear water is also optimum. https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=meho3&wfo=pqr Once you get into the wetter months and the river gets much higher your odds for hooking anything decreases significantly.

Just found this thread.
Your best bet to get new people hooked on fishing is stocked lakes for trout.
Or other fish catfish bass whatever.
Every other year the pink salmon come in rivers in the PNW.
ODD YEARS .
They are easy to catch .
Can get pretty good size put up a little fight but pretty easy to catch.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top