JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ya i was looking at the sw m&p compact, found one at a local shop for 425 with a light, used of course If its still there I am going to get it tomorrow. I liked the feel of it. to answer the guy on the previous page is because if God forbid I ever have to put someone down I want to be able to penetrate the outer epidermis, and everyone knows that unless you get a head shot using a 9 is pretty useless.

ya i was looking at the sw m&p compact, found one at a local shop for 425 with a light, used of course If its still there I am going to get it tomorrow. I liked the feel of it. to answer the guy on the previous page is because if God forbid I ever have to put someone down I want to be able to penetrate the outer epidermis, and everyone knows that unless you get a head shot using a 9 is pretty useless.

Maybe in OREGON you need a head shot from a 9mm, but it works only on account of you ppl down there being so soft headed. I will take a 40 S&W along with OP, but i prefer my 45's. 7+1 plus 8 make 16. and that is a good number.

Maybe in OREGON you need a head shot from a 9mm, but it works only on account of you ppl down there being so soft headed. I will take a 40 S&W along with OP, but i prefer my 45's. 7+1 plus 8 make 16. and that is a good number.

I am the OP and im going with the SW.. im confused. I don't like 9mm for self defense I dont think they have the stopping power a 40 or a 45 does.

I am the OP and im going with the SW.. im confused. I don't like 9mm for self defense I dont think they have the stopping power a 40 or a 45 does.

Well as I stated in another thread,my friend,who was a beat cop in Reno for a bit,was shot at with a 22MAG.He didn't get hit but his partner,that was well over 200# was dead by the time he hit the ground.

Shot placement is paramount.If you can't handle the snap of the 40,or the recoil or size of a 45acp then maybe the 9mm is for you.
Neither is any good if you can't hit anything with 'em

Well as I stated in another thread,my friend,who was a beat cop in Reno for a bit,was shot at with a 22MAG.He didn't get hit but his partner,that was well over 200# was dead by the time he hit the ground.

Shot placement is paramount.If you can't handle the snap of the 40,or the recoil or size of a 45acp then maybe the 9mm is for you.
Neither is any good if you can't hit anything with 'em

ah ok I remember reading that post now. The re coil isn't a problem.
my thought process is also under pressure with countless unknown varibles in a real life situation the one that makes the biggest hole would give me the biggest margin of "error" as far as placement goes, I may be aiming for the chest but only hit his shoulder because I am on the move or something along those lines, I would think that the 40 would make him think twice about continuing.

I can't tell you what to do but here is what I have done for the .40.
Glock 22. My second choice would have been the M&P. I went with Glock because there is so much aftermarket support for them. 9-40 conversion barrel and a .22 slide conversion and I can shoot and train for cheap. Then top off the training with a few rounds of .40. I like shooting the .40 but I can see the advantage of other rounds and the .40 platform allows the flexibility. I could even go .357 SIG with a conversion barrel too.
Good luck,
Mike

BUT I could be mistaking.

9mm dia = .355"
40 S&W dia = .400"
.400-.355=0.045

Do you honestly think 45 one thousandths of an inch is going to make a hill of beans of difference in regards to making up for poor shot placement? If you want/need/require a .40 S&W cool go for it but don't buy into BS magic caliber concepts, as stated in another current thread going on ALL pistols calibers suck.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/st...i-analysis-pa-police-shootout.html#post471229

Or you could just say 1mm (.40=10mm)

actually 10mm is .3937 and 9mm is .3543 in the real world and 1mm is .03937 but why split hairs fact is wound channel dia. doesn't really mean alot with the advent of hollow points that expand well even at lower velocities.

though I have heard that the poeple who wear kevlar are scared more of getting hit by the high porwer small dia. rounds like 22-250 22 mag and fn's 5.7 rounds because they can split between the kevlar weave and bounce around like a pinball

Well actually the figures you provided are the imperial equivalents to the metric nomenclatures of 9mm and 10mm not the true diameter of bullets in question.

<broken link removed>

10mm, .400" Diameter

And can also be confirmed by ANSI/SAAMI specs. 9mm is on page 29 of 170 and 10mm is on page 31 of 170.
<broken link removed>

How's that for splitting hairs?

Nice, well actually my comment was in responce to mjbskwim sayin that it was 1mm and you saying it was .045 and it seeming like we were splitting hairs, but thanks for looking up the sizes for us

BTW I knew that the bullets names don't reflect their exact size but that that exact size doesn't change the nature of you original comment so i took the liberty of poking a little fun.... human hair averages about .003

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top