JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I asked this same question on another forum, and the answers I got were about 5% helpful, and 95% technospeak.

Anyway, my kid is turning 16 soon and will have her driver's license. Called insurance to get a quote, and even with the discounts she's eligible for, we're still facing our premiums more than doubling!

The wife and I have knocked around the idea of canceling cable to save money, going with an HD arial, and using streaming services for all else. Now that the car insurance premiums are skyrocketing for us, we're on board to do this sooner than later. Based on a cursory search, we could subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, AND Amazon Prime video for less than half the cost of our current TV bundle.

I'd like some practical advice from those that have done this. I guess my main concern is, what's the best HD arial that won't break the bank, how to record shows, and what to do about wifi signal strength in the basement where the family room is located. It's sketchy as it stands now. Do we even NEED and external aerial if literally everything is online?

Thanks!

Well, determine what it is you REALLY have to watch and select the appropriate streaming service.

That being said, right now, my wife and I have Comcast cable. We are 18 months into a 24 month contract giving us an Internet/TV bundle for $80/month. After the 24 months is up and rates subject to jump, we're dumping cable TV. We watch maybe 2 or 3 shows off it. We think we can get those via an antenna (for local channels). The only show I watch, the Orville, I think I can stream whenever.

My wife also subscribes to Netflix and we have Amazon Prime.

I also had to get a job when I turned 16 to pay for my car costs, if I wanted to be able to enjoy the privilege of driving.

We just use Netflix , Amazon Prime and Hulu...

If I may suggest , maybe you could get acquainted with the local library and a used book store...
There are whole worlds out there to discover in the reading of books.

Books?!....Who the heck reads those anymore?...:eek::D
Well what did ya expect from a guy who regularly shoots and hunts with antique guns?...:D
Andy
Right on! Used books are generally cheap and will outlast several readings. My parents never had a TV when I grew up- missed a lot of:eek: "stuff" in the '60's like race riots, VN War, Beatles, being force-fed liberal agenda, etc, but caught up easily. So we READ- a lot- it was among my favorite pastimes, and still is tho most of my reading is online these days.
We have limited cable because our reception is crap were we live between the mountains and TV amuses the wife and keeps her quiescent.:rolleyes:

that part I understand. I have a Comcast "bundle", which gives me 75Mb/s. frontier is the only other carrier in my area w/ 4mb DSl line . The cost isn't that much less but the cost per Mb doesn't make DSL a contender.

We're in the opposite situation as you, maybe a bit worse. We don't even have physical cable as an option. It's either satellite or dsl, and like you pointed out regarding cost per Mb, for us satellite is not a contender.

Right on!!!

I had 7 siblings. Giving up something major, like TV, each time one of reached our 16th birthday would've killed us.

Which is why we only had one kid!

My daughter is also heavily involved in extracurricular school activities, and her being able to drive herself will really free up time for everyone. Besides, she's a great kid who's happy, healthy and very well adjusted. I never dreamed of having the opportunities we've been able to provide for our daughter, and knows this and is very appreciative of it.

Six years ago I went through a job loss and had the same debate. I installed this antenna and "borrowed" a Netflix login from a friend. Between those two sources and the TV shows I could stream from the internet (NBC.com, CBS.com, etc.), I had everything I needed except NFL football which has way too many "kneelers" now anyway... Go to antennaweb.org and enter you zip code. It will show you exactly which compass bearings to aim your antenna for each station in your area. You may need to install two antennas and a signal combiner in order to pick up everything. I remember being absolutely shocked at how good the HD picture was on some stations compared to cable!

Frontier FIOS = $39.95/Mo
Smart TV with built in apps and also connected to a PS3 and PS4 via HDMI
Netflix
Amazon
Pureflix
Youtube
UFC​
CAT6 cable connected to all devices but also have WiFI router. WiFI sucks upstairs on IBM devices but screams on my MacBook...go figure :rolleyes:
No landline phone...like uh, who has those anyway

Sad that it's going the wayside:(, I made a very comfortable living off of landline telecommunications.:D I feel so like a dinosaur....:oops:

Six years ago I went through a job loss and had the same debate. I installed this antenna and "borrowed" a Netflix login from a friend. Between those two sources and the TV shows I could stream from the internet (NBC.com, CBS.com, etc.), I had everything I needed except NFL football which has way too many "kneelers" now anyway... Go to antennaweb.org and enter you zip code. It will show you exactly which compass bearings to aim your antenna for each station in your area. You may need to install two antennas and a signal combiner in order to pick up everything. I remember being absolutely shocked at how good the HD picture was on some stations compared to cable!

THANK you! This is probably the most helpful post on this entire thread. From Antennaweb, it appears as though virtually all over-the-air stations that I'd be able to pick up,originate in the same general area of the Southwest Portland hills. There would be no need for me to have more than just the one antenna. Antennaweb says I'd be able to pick up 51 channels from 21 stations over-the-air. Not bad. Netflix and Amazon Prime could easily supply whatever else we watch.

I quit cable in 1985; still breathing, and bought an ATV with the money..

No internet either! Working off our 4G when not in town with free wifi.

Tried Hughes Net for 8 years...fail. The nearest cables is 3 miles down the hill.

Simple antenna gets 20+some stations.

Edit: we try not to support the liberals in the entertainment industry.
1985?! Didn't know there was cable in 1985.

Toms
How to Watch Live TV Online - Streaming TV Services - Tom's Guide

Amazon Prime
- free shipping, the streaming is free then. Or, you can say 9/mo for streaming and get free free shipping.
Plus you can add premium channels should you want them - need Game of Thrones - HBO can be added.
Homeland - Showtime can be added.

What is different between Netflix and Amazon ? Network specific shows. There is much overlap tho.

Do you need live sports? That is currently the big bug-a-boo.
Do you need to watch as the shows air ( as opposed to the following day ) ?
If not, your decision to cut the cord is pretty simple.

Hulu Plus - has most of the currently running shows.

I used to have a ROKU, my Connected TV is about 4 years old so some things are no longer working ( Youtube for one ) I also have a connected BluRay player - same deal, some things no longer work.
We just got a FireStick. It is pretty good.

I have heard good things about current GameSystems - as noted above.

You can also roll your own - get a PC - does not have to be high end - and get a DVR like service on it.
Bling for live espn

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads