JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have a Roku box, you might want to look into Plex Media Manager. It enables you to play media from your computer on your tv. You have to have Plex Media server on your computer as well. Both Manager and Server are "free".

Plex

Plex | Roku Channels

What about a ROKU t.v? Dad just got one and its bery basic, very little available. Need to see if it can accept LAN or wifi and see what it can do.

What about a ROKU t.v? Dad just got one and its bery basic, very little available. Need to see if it can accept LAN or wifi and see what it can do.

If it's a roku t.v, it has to have some kind of hard wire (cat5) and/or wi-fi capabilities ...... probably both. We got a Roku box because our t.v was fine. Our roku box has wireless along with hard wire.

Plex is actually a channel/feature offered from Roku. You just subscibe to it.

I asked this same question on another forum, and the answers I got were about 5% helpful, and 95% technospeak.

Anyway, my kid is turning 16 soon and will have her driver's license. Called insurance to get a quote, and even with the discounts she's eligible for, we're still facing our premiums more than doubling!

The wife and I have knocked around the idea of canceling cable to save money, going with an HD arial, and using streaming services for all else. Now that the car insurance premiums are skyrocketing for us, we're on board to do this sooner than later. Based on a cursory search, we could subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, AND Amazon Prime video for less than half the cost of our current TV bundle.

I'd like some practical advice from those that have done this. I guess my main concern is, what's the best HD arial that won't break the bank, how to record shows, and what to do about wifi signal strength in the basement where the family room is located. It's sketchy as it stands now. Do we even NEED and external aerial if literally everything is online?

Thanks!
You can find an antenna here:
Digital TV Antenna Selector
WINEGARD HDTV ANTENNA, TV ANTENNA preamplifier FM antenna

Here's a good hardware package:
https://www.amazon.com/Vilso-Antenn...r=8-17&keywords=outdoor+antenna+tv+digital+hd

If you put up an antenna use a preamplifier up on the antenna, and if you have more than one TV or other receiver device connected to the antenna (like a VCR) then get a distribution amplifier for in the house as well. See here:
WINEGARD HDTV ANTENNA, TV ANTENNA preamplifier FM antenna

You can get the best internet TV package here:
Sling TV is A La Carte TV - Watch 7 Days Free!

When we lived in Damascus we had an antenna with pre-amp, and a distribution amp where the cable came into the house. I ran 4 devices off the distribution amp, 2 TVs and 2 VCRs. We got 37 channels, all in digital HD.

We've been without cable for about 10 years. I'm in Oregon City, built my own HD antenna from online plans, hooked it up to a HDhomerun network tuner. This connects your over the air signal from your antenna to your network. I'm able to watch and record tv, then play back/ watch on my TV, computer, laptop, and phones. Pretty much anything that's connected to the network.
I also built a computer for a home theater PC (HTPC), but you could use a prebuilt PC, Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, etc.. There's quite a few options from easy setup to more complicated. With a HTPC I'm able to customize everything, stream movies, record tv, get weather reports, music, search the web etc. It all depends on how involved you want to get.

Yes @AndyinEverson a library is a wonderful thing!! haven't ever paid a dime for TV service of any sort, not going to start now!!

WP_20170402_001.jpg WP_20170402_002.jpg

HD Antenna brings in the local stations I can't get with Sling. Think I paid $30. for the antenna which hides behind the TV. I'm in Cottage Grove and I can pick up a Medford station along with Eugene and Salem, all clear.

HD Antenna brings in the local stations I can't get with Sling. Think I paid $30. for the antenna which hides behind the TV. I'm in Cottage Grove and I can pick up a Medford station along with Eugene and Salem, all clear.

Many can get full HD off air with minimal work, BUT, before anyone else runs out and buys one of these. Check first. Digital TV is nothing like the old analog. Some have found a simple on the wall antenna will get them the full signal. Then if someone walks across the room the signal will drop out and the TV has to find it again. This can get real annoying. It will all depend on where the towers are in relation to your antenna. For those who want to test this buy buying cheap first places like Amazon are good. If you try one and find it will not work or work well where you live you can send it back and move up to a better one.

I would love to dump DISH. The kids all watch YouTube, Amazon and NetFlix. My wife watches the Hallmark network reruns, TLC Reality shows and likes to fall asleep to Lucy. I figure I can buy all Lucy episodes on DVD, subscribe to TLC online and whatever network "The Middle" is on and still be less than $77 a month. Local news puts breaking stories on FaceBook, so the only hold up is my one son who plays football and watches every game that happens to be on.

I would love to dump DISH. The kids all watch YouTube, Amazon and NetFlix. My wife watches the Hallmark network reruns, TLC Reality shows and likes to fall asleep to Lucy. I figure I can buy all Lucy episodes on DVD, subscribe to TLC online and whatever network "The Middle" is on and still be less than $77 a month. Local news puts breaking stories on FaceBook, so the only hold up is my one son who plays football and watches every game that happens to be on.

If you can get a signal he would get his NFL fix, assuming he is OK with the local, not one of those ticket deals cable offers? Even a higher end antenna set up would pay for it's self after a couple months of the damn cable bill. I almost have Wife ready to cut. Have been working on her a while getting her to finally see what's there without paying the cable. Since I turned off the NFL when they became all liberal politics they will not be a problem.
Here the maps show I would need to be at min 30Ft from the ground but even that with coaxial and all would maybe be a couple months of the cable bill if that by the time I bought all I need. One of the old PC's can be turned into a DVR. If it was just me the cable would long ago have gone by by.

I'd say it depends on what content you want to watch.
My mom for example loves watching all those mind numbing brain-drain reality and talent shows, plus the local news. I tried to get her a Roku and Hulu but she didn't like having to pick something to watch instead of just having something on in the background.
Me, I get by with a Chromecast and YouTube/Netflix on my phone.
If you want live local TV, try for antennas to get over the air broadcasts. For some live TV, YouTube tv, sling TV, and PlayStation's tv service are available. For on demand, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, iTunes, prime video, etc exist.
My recommendation would be to figure out what kind of tv you are looking for, buy a device that supports those things, try them out on a 30 day free trial, and if you don't like them, cancel the services and return the box and try something else. That way you can pinpoint whether the wifi downstairs will be a problem as well. Of course a repeater with CAT5e cable ran through the wall would be best, but mesh wifi routers are also a thing, you hook up one to your internet modem and put the other one(s) closer to your dead zone and they automatically act as repeaters with less setup required on your part.

I got hit with the same crap. My 17 year old purchased his own "1st car" - a 2004 he paid (c) $2k. The insurance company rates him on the most expensive vehicle, my F350 diesel 4x4.... what a scam.

As to you "cord cutters"... what do you use for internet access if you cut the cord? My only option for internet is Comcast - the cable TV guys.... I tend to watch Netflix (the best stuff is overseas with a VPN) and Amazon prime, but without internet, it doesn't do any good.

-Brian

I asked this same question on another forum, and the answers I got were about 5% helpful, and 95% technospeak.

Anyway, my kid is turning 16 soon and will have her driver's license. Called insurance to get a quote, and even with the discounts she's eligible for, we're still facing our premiums more than doubling!

The wife and I have knocked around the idea of canceling cable to save money, going with an HD arial, and using streaming services for all else. Now that the car insurance premiums are skyrocketing for us, we're on board to do this sooner than later. Based on a cursory search, we could subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, AND Amazon Prime video for less than half the cost of our current TV bundle.

I'd like some practical advice from those that have done this. I guess my main concern is, what's the best HD arial that won't break the bank, how to record shows, and what to do about wifi signal strength in the basement where the family room is located. It's sketchy as it stands now. Do we even NEED and external aerial if literally everything is online?

Thanks!

I got hit with the same crap. My 17 year old purchased his own "1st car" - a 2004 he paid (c) $2k. The insurance company rates him on the most expensive vehicle, my F350 diesel 4x4.... what a scam.

As to you "cord cutters"... what do you use for internet access if you cut the cord? My only option for internet is Comcast - the cable TV guys.... I tend to watch Netflix (the best stuff is overseas with a VPN) and Amazon prime, but without internet, it doesn't do any good.

-Brian

Cord cutting doesn't mean not having internet. It simply means not paying for a cable package. We have DSL/broadband that comes through the phone line not a cable connection, which provides internet access to our computer and Roku box. From there it's a matter of choosing what you want ....... Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc.

Thanks!
I saw a lot of feedback here that really didn't answer the question. Go to Bi Mart and buy a flat plate antenna for about $14 and hook it up to your TV. Then run the program on your TV to detect new channels. You'll get all the major networks plus some annoying home shopping marketing channels. Lots of religious channels. Must be a lot of sin to fight here in Portland! Some Spanish channels. Also some old western channels and retro stuff. The HD picture is actually better than the cable delivered one. If you live farther out, go for an amplified antenna for a little more $$$.

that part I understand. I have a Comcast "bundle", which gives me 75Mb/s. frontier is the only other carrier in my area w/ 4mb DSl line . The cost isn't that much less but the cost per Mb doesn't make DSL a contender.

Cord cutting doesn't mean not having internet. It simply means not paying for a cable package. We have DSL/broadband that comes through the phone line not a cable connection, which provides internet access to our computer and Roku box. From there it's a matter of choosing what you want ....... Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc.

Go to this site and enter your address: TV Antenna Selection Guide

It will list all the digital broadcast in your area along with map and tell you what kind of antenna you need. Here is an example using one of my favorite gun stores as the address - 53 channels for free.

upload_2017-10-18_19-23-8.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top