JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't you have to have at least a 20 inch barrel for one of those?
Probably depends on which specific reticle you pick. Most BDC reticles will not match perfectly even if they are technically 'supposed to'. You just have to shoot your setup with a particular load in it and know your distances.

this....
damn he beat me too it! lol
Dimitri is gaining in status quite a bit. trijicon tried to sue PA over their bad *ss reticles they are SOO good, and lost that battle hahaha.
i was going to recommend the PA version of that trijicon which is battery powered at around $350 instead of $1277 but man if you can swing it. id go for the trijicon. the PA supposedly has alot better eye box meaning how precisely you line up your pupil to the rear glass the diopter you wont see the picture around the edges go black as much or off center if your not perfectly aligned or too close/far away. it also has a wider field of view or FOV. and ppl like flannel daddy report the glass is actually almost nearly as good. note it says nearly meaning its not as good but close.
still for $350ish its alot.

and yes theres alot of correct info in this thread. good advice,
one i will say with these reticles is they are calibrated for specific barre lengths and specific loads and even barrel twist, like i think most of the trijicon acog stuff is calibrated for 16" barrels at a 1-7" twist for xm855. all the parameters found most common in military battle rifles.
the one commenter here was 100% spot on as well when he said just know your rifle, and your load and know your drops for that optic. no reticle is perfect for your setup (also temperature lattitude humidity air density etc the list goes on and on)

go to you tube and start watching the TiborasuarusRex sniper 101 youtube series and he will pretty much teach you EVERY thing you need to know to answer ALL your questions. such as: how a fixed magnification is the most rugged and reliable optics you can buy because theres nothing moving inside of them to break also with a variable there always some sort of error in the mechanical mechanisms theres tolerance stacking and all sorts of stuff.
mostly why nightforce is so well known is because they have some of the tightest tolerances and therefore most accurate "input"

if you can swing it, and want a variable to look into for later builds, thats built like a friggin tank check out Valdada they make some incredible stuff as well. friggin main tubes the size of most objective lenses (yes 40mm tubes!). plus now they teamed up with Rex to make and release the "ninja mount" also a VERY bad bubblegum mount.

lastly, if you do get a variable power optic you pretty much always want a FFP. so your reticle stays some what true at all magnification ranges.

i did NOT know that tijicon had a legit aurora ret though. thats VERY noteworthy. and now my wallet is practicing its kegels its about about to give birth again! :p

on a side note.. have you all seen the new ACSS RDS they are releasing soon. the chevron with the circle? pretty sweet stuff coming out of Primary.:cool:

And yet another side note. I dont know why trijicon thought they could sue the designer of their own reticle which they use. Obviously i dont have initmate details of their contract but the Dimitri im sure owns the rights to it and well lets just say Im sure hes not struggling these days ;)
The ACSS HUD DMR is an amazing design. The mans a genius!
I just wish they had one that was calibrated for .22lr and the avrg speed of a squirrel running and sprinting at 50yrds. lol.

With today's advancements in LPVO's I am not an ACOG or fixed low power optic guy anymore. Fixed 3x or 4x is to much for both eyes open CQB shooting and reduces target acquisition time.

FFP = Reticle increases in size as you increase the power of the scope
SFP = Reticle stays the same size regardless of what power the scope is on

A quality 1x-4x, 1x-6x, 1x-8x or 1x-10x LPVO is going to have an etched reticle so you will always have an aiming mechanism even if your batteries have died or you sustained damage to the electronics. For LPVO's I would recommend looking at the Trijicon Credo line, Nightforce NX8 or ATACR, Vortex Razor or Kahles K18i.

I personally have experience with the Trijicon Credo 1-8x28 and NX8 1-8 which are both FFP optics, both work great on 1x for both eyes open shooting and act just like a red dot optic, both offer excellent reticles in the upper magnification range for engaging targets out to 600 - 800 yards and you could do some engagement out further. The Credo has the better eyebox, glass/clarity is about the same between the two but the NX8 is lighter than the Credo. I would buy both optics again. I run the Credo on a 308 AR platform rifle and the NX8 on a 5.56 AR which is my primary weapon.

The problem with ACOG is the diameter of the viewing area. That is really it's only downside besides if you think it's overpriced or not. Comparing the PA to ACOG is very similar to comparing Holosun to Eotech. I have had both and the Holosun has a slight glare/fuzzy reticle in comparison. The PA is great for the price you pay for it. However, the quality of the higher end optics are superb but, are you really thinking that you're a Tier1 operator that is getting into firefights with enemy combatants down range? I personally suggest you look at Riton Optics for a great optic, veteran owned company and has amazing customer service and some of the best glass I've ever seen!

Since you broached the subject upfront, I don't share your lament on hammer forge. The process has fallen from favor primarily due to the enormous cost of equipment and not its ability to produce accurate barrels.

Since you broached the subject upfront, I don't share your lament on hammer forge. The process has fallen from favor primarily due to the enormous cost of equipment and not its ability to produce accurate barrels.
Yeah.. I forgot to mention this as well.
My first hammer forged barrel is shooting .6" groups and im just getting started with reloading and load dev. Still need to fine tune it a little more and then play with bullet jump a little. Im betting it will get into .5's
Maybe less if i can ever find different powders to play with.

My barrel is a rainier arms, CHF 18" RLGS in their custom profile. Cant remember the specific name.
Was on sale from $300ea to $150. I bought two ;)
Hoping the second is just as good as the first. Also its looking like my 14.5" sig516 upper isnt to bad either..

If i can get something thats built to m249 saw specs and is as accurate as more target barrels sign me up! (Again)

With today's advancements in LPVO's I am not an ACOG or fixed low power optic guy anymore. Fixed 3x or 4x is to much for both eyes open CQB shooting and reduces target acquisition time.

That's what the little ears on the side with the holes are for, mounting and RMR for that very purpose.

The Credo has the better eyebox, glass/clarity is about the same between the two but the NX8 is lighter than the Credo.

and has a much smaller footprint.

That's what the little ears on the side with the holes are for, mounting and RMR for that very purpose.

Touche. Though you are talking about adding another $500 optic and a possible snag point. I prefer simple and streamlined which an LPVO does very well. I run on 1x as that gets you out to 150 yards or more. Anything further out you very likely have time to adjust your power to the situation.

and has a much smaller footprint.

If Nightforce improved the eyebox on the NX8 it would be at the top of the class in LPVO's or at least that is my opinion. The eyebox is the only knock I have against it. Everyone who handles and uses my NX8 equipped rifle loves it and only complains about the eyebox which is a known deficiency. Hoping the Kahles K18i is everything the NX8 is without the eyebox issue.

If Nightforce improved the eyebox on the NX8 it would be at the top of the class in LPVO's or at least that is my opinion. The eyebox is the only knock I have against it. Everyone who handles and uses my NX8 equipped rifle loves it and only complains about the eyebox which is a known deficiency. Hoping the Kahles K18i is everything the NX8 is without the eyebox issue.

That is a common complaint, but it is still workable. I don't think they can improve it due to the optic size, if you want a better eyebox from a NF LPVO look at the ATACR. The eyebox won't be an issue with a Kahlas, just the opposite, but it is 2nd focal plane if that make a difference to you. I wish they would add the SM1 reticle to their choices. I have the K16i and it is perfect for my needs, not sure the extra length and weight would be worth the additional 2X to me, especially without the SM1 reticle. It is, IMO, the most red dot like scope out there.

That is a common complaint, but it is still workable. I don't think they can improve it due to the optic size, if you want a better eyebox from a NF LPVO look at the ATACR. The eyebox won't be an issue with a Kahlas, just the opposite, but it is 2nd focal plane if that make a difference to you. I wish they would add the SM1 reticle to their choices. I have the K16i and it is perfect for my needs, not sure the extra length and weight would be worth the additional 2X to me, especially without the SM1 reticle. It is, IMO, the most red dot like scope out there.

SFP is fine with me and I usually prefer it. It was your comment about the Kahles K16i in a different thread that got me serious about trying out a Kahles LPVO. As long as the dot on 1x functions like a traditional red dot I will be happy. I am with you though on wishing it came with the SM1 reticle as an option. I would have given an ATACR a try by now if it wasn't for the reticle they chose to use. I don't care for Christmas tree reticles. Especially on an LPVO. I also like the size and weight savings of the NX8 but there are always trade-offs like the eyebox for that size and weight savings.

Also wanted to point out on a trijicon a common issue is having to apply tape over the light tube (the outer tube that gathers light for the tritium or hydrogen 3) because its too bright for most users.
Which may mean that the level of brightness can actually hinder your eyes to adjust to the night light.
So to that end an electronic optic does have some advantages. Most decent electro optics have a NV mode which is barely visible in the day and will still have a etched reticle for redundancy.
Can always throw an extra button cell or two in your bob bag.

One other thing about tritium Hydrogen 3 or H3 is that it is fairly harmless if spilled or broken or whatever. But if its in a fire its alot more "contaminating" still probably not a massive concern. But it IS worth noting and being aware of.
Tritium/H3 is a radioactive element. Not highly radioactive but still.
Pretty sure its not alpha or gamma. Maybe beta radiation if memory serves.

You said you have leupold. For the money you're looking at. The VX-6HD 1-6. You said adjust in the field. If you don't use hold over. The CDS turrets are great. I wasn't sure about them til I got my first one. Thing I like is if some how your turrets get turned you just turn them back to lock on zero. Then the CDS turrets are marked for yardage and windage custom to your setup.

The scope mount is important for good accuracy. Needs enough 'Forward offset' to get proper cheek weld on the stock. Also not to high.
This Freedom Reaper mount centers a 30mm scope at 1.38" above the flat top the same height as iron sights. It also has a 3.8"
forward offset. Far enough forward in the prone position to put my nose on the charging handle. For best accuracy mount the
scope on the receiver and not the barrel float tube. This mount is in common use by competition shooters for these reasons.
I run a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X20 Illuminated Fire Dot Circle 1/4 MOA. Much preferred over the mill dot. IMHO Trijicons are too $$$$$.
Would prefer the Night Force but too $$$
1615553454075.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews