JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok I want to give you some things to think about and it should help you!

How much zoom do I need?

Let's assume that I want a defensive rifle, like something useful for a SHTF scenario. My target zone will be somewhere around the size of a human torso. Let's say 12"x24". To determine what I'll need as a minimum, I'll need to find out what is most suitable for my vision, capability, and comfort. Using the naked eye, I'll determine how far away I can see my target. Being that my target is 12"x24", how far away can I see this target before it becomes difficult to distinguish it from its surroundings? I believe that if I can see it, I can hit it. Might not be easy, but it is possible. If I cannot see it, you cannot hit it. That's the basic principle behind this idea. There are other things to consider too. For example, just because I can see this target as a tiny spec through my view, doesn't mean it is easy to visually place a reticle onto this spot. Having a little bit more magnification may aid in being able to relate the crosshair to the target better. Considering all of this, I have to decide with the naked eye at what distance the target becomes too difficult to see or target.

Here's an example:

Say that the 12"x24" target zone becomes too difficult for me to see, or pinpoint with an imaginary reticle, past 150 yards. 150 yards is our magic number. Now, take 150 yards and multiply it by the magnification used.

150 x 2 = 300

150 x 3 = 450

150 x 4 = 600

150 x 8 = 1,200

As you can see, a 12"x24" target 1,200 yards out, being viewed through as scope with 8x magnification will appear to me to be 150 yards away.

That being said... 1-6 is plenty for 556 rifle and 6x150 is 900 yards. Sig Tango 6 is a good option! You can also get a trijicon, vortex, Riton or leupold. However always think about what I posted first about the distance. Too much magnification makes it difficult but that's a whole other conversation

Well if you like Trijicon, and you can swing $1200, you might as well get an ACOG of some sort. I do want a 1-8 VCOG, but an ACOG will never be a bad choice. Someone is always looking for an ACOG if you decide it isn't for you.

I tried a 1-8 AccuPower. The glass was fine I guess, but every time I let the rifle sit without touching it for 2-3 months, that battery would be dead. Had this happen with Vortex pieces as well. As an aside, my Leupold stuff doesn't do this. And so far it looks like the Holosun won't either. With an ACOG, you'll never have that issue.

35D85CFE-F125-4322-B0AE-B1F38FE85045.jpeg This is an 18" 223 Wylde barrel with the trijicon accupoint 2.5-10 on it! It's fiber optic so no battery and even if fiber optic craps out the glass is etched and the cross hairs are thin! I got this as a DMR for out to 1200 yards as a jic rifle @RobMa

The Spurs site say this in their specs (0 MIL/ 0 MOA) what does it mean or what does it refer to?
It states the height as. Spuhr 30mm Cantilever Riflescope Mount, Black, Height- 38mm/1.5in, SP-3616 0 MIL/0 MOA

The Spurs site say this in their specs (0 MIL/ 0 MOA) what does it mean or what does it refer to?
It states the height as. Spuhr 30mm Cantilever Riflescope Mount, Black, Height- 38mm/1.5in, SP-3616 0 MIL/0 MOA
0mil 0moa should refer to the amount of built in cant the scope mount has. For a long distance optic, so as not to run out of adjustment, you would go with something like a 20moa mount. So it automatically tilts the scope centerline up 20 moa.

ring dia, height and cant. it reads 30mm ring dia, 1.5" tall mount with zero cant

Spuhr SP-4601: 34mm Picatinny Mount 6MIL/20.6MOA - 1.181"

this one would be for a 34mm tube, 1.181" tall with 6mil/20.6mao cant

Thanks guys, I did a little studying and figured it out as well. In your opinion should I even get a canted mount or stick with the 0 MIL/MOA
What is the MIL/MOA of the standard AR rail?

Thanks guys, I did a little studying and figured it out as well. In your opinion should I even get a canted mount or stick with the 0 MIL/MOA
What is the MIL/MOA of the standard AR rail?
IMO I would go with a 0 cant scope mount. I know you are wanting a do it all setup, but it isn't really that feasible. That is a 200 yard gun that you can stretch out to 400 easily, but....I mean it's not the setup you would want for long range.

I don't think I understand the standard rail question?

IMO I would go with a 0 cant scope mount. I know you are wanting a do it all setup, but it isn't really that feasible. That is a 200 yard gun that you can stretch out to 400 easily, but....I mean it's not the setup you would want for long range.

I don't think I understand the standard rail question?
He wants to know if the rail on the upper of ar hand guard has a built in cant

Also if it a SHTF rifle .223/5.56 probably isn't the best for 1000 yards ballistically speaking.

@RobMa

I think you would be happy with:
1-6 LPVO
2.5-10 AccuPoint like @AK0perator47 showed you (I can't abide any of the reticle options or I would run these myself)
An ACOG

Trijicon makes something in all of these varieties that will allow you to avoid the dead battery deal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top