JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be working with a new BCM BFH 16" upper
I realize the length of barrel and being hammer forged will keep it from being hyper accurate but it is what I have to work with right now.
I am a fan of Trijicon scopes, are any of those contenders?

Thanks
Rob

Untitled.jpg

You can shoot irons out to 500 fairly easy. So any quality optic is gunna be an improvement. The ACOGs are really nice. Really just depends on what kind of magnification you're looking to get.

Precision is a very vague term. Are you looking for precise adjustments? Something for precision shooting? Precision shooting at distance or up close? Are you looking to twist knobs or set it and forget it? Red dot style optic? First focal plane (FFP) or Second focal plane (SFP)?

5.56/.223 is accurate out to 1,000 - 1,200 yards depending on your loading but effective distance for terminal performance is much closer.

If you can give us some better input on what your uses are going to be we can narrow in on some recommendations. My guess is a low power variable optic (LPVO) is likely going to meet your needs the best. If an LPVO is what you are looking for Trijicon makes some great options in the Credo lineup.

3.5x due to the eyebox. I've got a Zeiss conquest 1-4x on my almost identical rifle for three gun (future).

I've got an astigmatism, so no Eotech. I came really close to buying an Aimpoint.

Precision is a very vague term. Are you looking for precise adjustments? Something for precision shooting? Precision shooting at distance or up close? Are you looking to twist knobs or set it and forget it? Red dot style optic? First focal plane (FFP) or Second focal plane (SFP)?

5.56/.223 is accurate out to 1,000 - 1,200 yards depending on your loading but effective distance for terminal performance is much closer.

If you can give us some better input on what your uses are going to be we can narrow in on some recommendations. My guess is a low power variable optic (LPVO) is likely going to meet your needs the best. If an LPVO is what you are looking for Trijicon makes some great options in the Credo lineup.

To be honest I'm basically setting it up as a bubblegum hits the fan long range battle rifle. i'm going to set it up and leave it alone. It needs to have accessible adjustment knobs but nothing fancy. Something that can be adjusted in the field relatively easily. I would like some thing without any type of power to it so I don't have to rely on batteries. I have no idea what the differences are between first focal plane and second focal plane, I just use my Leopold on my Spuhr mount for my 308 rpr.
I hear good things about Gissele mounts but I really love my spuhr as well. Any recommendations on mounts?
Although I'm not wealthy or anything I don't skimp on my optics so you can throw anything at me regardless of price and I'll take it into consideration.

To be honest I'm basically setting it up as a bubblegum hits the fan long range battle rifle. i'm going to set it up and leave it alone. It needs to have accessible adjustment knobs but nothing fancy. Something that can be adjusted in the field relatively easily. I would like some thing without any type of power to it so I don't have to rely on batteries. I have no idea what the differences are between first focal plane and second focal plane, I just use my Leopold on my Spuhr mount for my 308 rpr.
I hear good things about Gissele mounts but I really love my spuhr as well. Any recommendations on mounts?
If you're not looking for any kind of power you don't gotta stress over first and second focal plane. By the sounds of what you're looking for I would go with an Acog. No batteries. Tridium is good to go. And they are rock solid. Larue also makes good mounts.

My apologies. When I read power I was thinking magnification not batteries. If you want magnification I would go first focal plane. Night force is good and I also really like the Leupold Mark 5 3-18.

My apologies. When I read power I was thinking magnification not batteries. If you want magnification I would go first focal plane. Night force is good and I also really like the Leupold Mark 5 3-18.

What about the vcog? I know it's powered but I was just curious.

Last question, since I have an FSB on the rifle how high of a scope mount (one piece) should I have for a 1/3 co-witness type set up.

Last question, since I have an FSB on the rifle how high of a scope mount (one piece) should I have for a 1/3 co-witness type set up.
I have no idea. On all my precision rifles with magnified optics I've never had a front sight post. I normally try to get the scope as low as possible for proper cheek rest.

Although I'm not wealthy or anything I don't skimp on my optics so you can throw anything at me regardless of price and I'll take it into consideration.

Don't get hung up on battery vs no battery, the reticle will be etched so it is a moot point. And don't worry about "accessible adjustment knobs" that's what your holds are for.

First vs Second Focal Plane Riflescopes

Spuhr ISMS mounts are superior to Geissele, also check out Badger Ordnance C1 mounts

Last Edited:

^^^This, I'd get a decent LPVO and call it a day, boils down to how much you are willing to spend.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top