Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Advice for pistol powder selection?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by WillaminaOR, Jan 28, 2012.

1. WillaminaOR

WillaminaOR Near Willamina, OR Member

Anybody have suggestions for a pistol powder that meters well and will work well with the majority of bullet weights in 40S&W and 45ACP? Works well in 45 Colt would be a bonus. Similar charge weights would be a bonus too as I bought a Little Dandy measure and it costs for every different weight I want to throw.

I've been using Unique and it works well in those cartridges but the weights are different and its meterability is only OK.

On a side note. Anybody know why listed charges of Unique seem rather low for cast bullets in 45ACP?

2. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I know Titegroup and Win231 meter great. Will work fine, but depending on bullet type and weight.

3. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

I like WIN231. I just wanted the ability to stock one powder for most everything I load. Other powders probably fit into that category as well. I know some people like Power Pistol for that same reason.

4. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Win 231 .... for the win!

5. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I like Power Pistol for my loads. Not only does it meter well but I can get more speed from it compared to Unique or W-231.

I like it enough that I just ordered two more kegs from Powder Valley.

6. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

HP38 works for me.

7. pacific keeper

pacific keeper North Coast New Member

HP38 and W231 are the same stuff and they both work great ! 10 gr of either behind Missourri cast Keith in 45 colt or 44 mag , 5.6 behind 200 gr LSWC's in 45 acp .

8. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

What kind of velocity do you get with the HP38/w231 Keith load? Is that a 255grn Keith cast? is it a Ruger only?

9. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

I'm a Titegroup guy.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  10. DAPSRT

DAPSRT Dallas, Or Active Member

Haven't used any personally yet but I understand Universal Clays is really good across the board. I'm planning on using some soon for various loads.

11. mookmanjdj

mookmanjdj Oregon Coast Member

Just got some Win 231 as per the advice of experts on this site. Meters VERY well. Used it for 9mm so far but planning on using it for my 45acp as well.

12. WillaminaOR

WillaminaOR Near Willamina, OR Member

I looked up power pistol, if I load 155 in 40 and 185 in 45, they both use the same charge weight. Didn't see it listed for the colt but I can probably find something on the internet. Looks like a winner to me. Now if I can just find some. Anybody seen any around Salem? Wholesale sports was all out.

Thanks,
    Bryan

13. pacific keeper

pacific keeper North Coast New Member

The 250 gr Missourri keith clocks in @ 1000 and the 240 @ 1010 FPS . 240 is .44 , 250 is .45 colt . Both have been very accurate out to 100 yards . I shoot them in my 629/625's S&W and my Vaquero .More accurate in the S&W's than the Ruger . The Missourri cast is an excellent product !

14. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Double Thumbs up on MBC.

15. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

From another thread, Deadshot2 has me talked into trying Power Pistol. I've always used Unique and it works fine for me.

As for one powder and one charge for various calibers, you're on your own for research. I sold and bought guns until all I have is .40 SW and 9mm to load. It sure makes life easier for stocking ammo and components.

16. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

I'd been using VihtaVuori N320 for my 45ACP and 9mm loads until running out and switched to Titegroup for better availability. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the results.

17. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Tightgroup here too.

I was using Unique and W231 but when I started running silencers both were much dirtier. I have also seen reports of W231 being abrasive to silencers. Not sure how true it is but not worth the risk when Tightgroup is readily available and cleaner.