JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend and i are both totally new to ARs. I have a IWI Zion 15 which has 16' barrel. We were trying to hit a target about fifty yards away while standing and holding rifle. Both of us had trouble holding barrel totally steady because of weight and length of barrel. Is this a common problem? Or are we just inept?

fwiw, I could hit target way easier with CZ Scorpion which has about similar total weight but much shorter overall length.

edit: both guns just have basic iron sights

Shooting from the standing (offhand) position is always a challenge. The rifle will not stay still. Don't try to hold it to long, because the movement will only get worse. Try it at 200 yards on a fairly large target. Still a challenge. After years of shooting standing, it is still my worst position. I have used iron sights and scope mounted rifles. Difficult with either one. Good luck.

Have you ever shot a hunting rifle?

In my experience, no weapon can ever be held absolutely still on the target, unless in a gun vise. For offhand shooting, you must develop techniques for holding it that slow the movement... and there are lots of shooters that say to try to make a figure like an infinity sign with your sight travel/picture (an 8 turned on it's side). But using any sight method, if you can hold the sights to the rough center of the bull, using proper trigger will send the bullet pretty close to where it needs to be...... squeeze the trigger for a surprise break.

Last Edited:
If you know the gun is sighted well and you can hit 10/10 from a seated or rest position and start missing when you're standing... you may just need practice. A sling can help with weight distribution & remove some of the movement but practice will be needed with or without.

I would start by using a larger target and then finding a means to hold the rifle steady. Prone is more steady that standing and you could rest the handguard on a sandbag or other rest. Setting up a table and chair would also work. You could also try using shooting sticks as a way to steady the gun. Once you get it steady, start working on your trigger press and firing technique to allow the trigger to break without pushing, pulling, or squeezing it. I'm assuming you know some of the basics about sight picture and alignment.

Friend and i are both totally new to ARs. I have a IWI Zion 15 which has 16' barrel. We were trying to hit a target about fifty yards away while standing and holding rifle. Both of us had trouble holding barrel totally steady because of weight and length of barrel. Is this a common problem? Or are we just inept?

fwiw, I could hit target way easier with CZ Scorpion which has about similar total weight but much shorter overall length.

edit: both guns just have basic iron sights
True statement about the rifle being zeroed. I would suggest using a bigger target and moving it closer until you see how you are hitting. Also watch videos of various zero distances. There is a 10 yard zero that sets you up on paper for a 50 yard zero. I made my own from that and printed some out.

Until you get a zero of whatever distance you are just wasting ammo. As far as weight goes, I believe you will get used to the weight. My wife is short with short arms (quick as hell though), but I have a lightweight AR with a red dot for her. At first she couldn't hold it up but now she is uses to the same rifle with no changes made to it without big problems.

Make friends with someone who has more shooting experience and go shooting with them, or find a trainer and take some classes before you learn a bunch of bad habits you then have to unlearn.

As stated above Appleseed is a great starter, but it can be hard to get into a class as they are not held often in Oregon.

If you bring your own ammo there are lots of guys who would be happy to help or go shooting with you if you ask.

1/3 torso sized target
So like 6"x10" ish?

That's decent sized at 50 yards. That's decent sized for 100 yards.

I'd say verify your sights are on at 50.

If sights are fine, work on procedures. That Zion isn't that heavy, it's about average weight for an AR15 at 7 pounds. The Scorpion (depending on model and or pistol brace) is slightly lighter. However the fulcrum on the AR is more forward.

Definitely zero from the bench at 50 yards. Adjust your sights until you walk the impact into the bull's-eye.

Generally on an AR the front sight will adjust elevation and the rear sight will adjust windage. When adjusting sights for impact remember the acronym FORS (front opposite rear same).

For offhand shooting I recommend learning to use a sling. The sling can provide great support when used properly. As a starter you can search "hasty sling" on YouTube.

lastly I think the front sight post on a standard set AR set up is fairly thick , I believe 6 moa (roughly 3 inches at 50 yards). Many offhand shooters choose to use a slimmer front post ("national match") which you can buy for fairly cheap in the aftermarket.

Congratulations on your new rifle. I hope it will bring you many years of joy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top