JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The front sight on my G17 is a night sight and the rear is a steel factory 6.5 (none night sight). For my big hands, the G17 fits perfect but I did get the grip force adapter and I LOVE it. I have a factory extended slide stop and I'm running a GAP enterprise mag floor plate for better extraction should the mag get stuck.

I don't mess with trigger disconnectors or anything internal. All I did to mine was a 25 cent polish job (vids on youtube). Get yourself some 33 round factory mags.... I think they still have them for $35 on MidwayUSA

20131104_001309_zps1b938816.jpg

If you start dropping custom parts in your pistol right away, you really lose out on two points;

1. You don't get an accurate idea of what a "break in" is like. I think that's important, because it offers you an accurate baseline. There are a lot of things that you will learn intuitively through this process. If you drop custom parts in or do a .25 trigger job, you aren't going to have a perception of what a stock trigger is like, and you won't have an appreciation of it, when it breaks in. You might actually like it, and do very well with it.

It will also make you adapt to shooting other guns more proficiently, rather than being a trigger snob that cant shoot stock guns very well. Right now you couldn't really say why one trigger would be better than another, because you have limited experience with any of them.

A pistol with 5,000 rounds through it, properly maintained, will feel different from the same one out of the box. Over time the some of the grit or sponginess that people complain about with new Glocks gets better from use. When you get 5,000 rounds through your pistol, and then modify the trigger (if you still think you need to), you will really be able to appreciate whether you spent your money well or threw it away.

2. Most guns with custom work are not as reliable as stock pistols, especially the ones done by new gun owners. Go look at any forum, look at the percentage of pistols that become problematic after a trigger job, it's not all of them but it's a percentage of them. That doesn't represent their true failure rate, because some guys aren't telling you or themselves the truth about the performance of the pistol. They're going to make excuses to themselves so they don't look silly for spending money and time on making their pistol less reliable. They have been intimate with the weapon and are unwilling to be objective about it.

I have had some operator errors with my defense guns, Like not getting the magazine all the way in, or not racking my HD shotgun. I practice clearing Tap and rack drills, but I would not make an excuse for a gun that didn't do what it was supposed to do every time.

If you are trusting your life to this pistol, it better be stupid reliable. I have no tolerance for misfeeds, light strikes, stove pipes and Failure to fire issues with a carry gun or Home defense gun. If it doesn't go BANG! reliably, it needs to be a range toy, then you can make it as tacticool as you want.

Just my .02

A plastic paddle style holster is the way to go for concealed carry. You do not want to have to unthread it from your belt to take it off. The plastic paddle distributes the weight and pressure make it more comfortable to wear.

I have a 17C that I do not carry. It is the bedroom gun and is equipped with an M6 Illuminator which makes it ideal for a house gun. It allows you to both identify and acquire the subject. I say identify because I want to be sure its not my neighbor, brother in law, etc.

The llluminator would be cool for concealed carry but it is bulky and holsters are scarce. The holsters that are available lean toward duty and tactical.

Decent sights...... Trijicon HD or Amerglo Hackathorn.

Tangodown Vickers extended mag release.

I skipped the .25 cent trigger job and got a Ghost Ranger 4.5 lb. trigger connector.l

Wolff uncaptured steel recoil rod and factory weight sping.

Those are the mods I made to my G22 and my G23. The last three were not really needed, but I figured what the heck....why not.

Practice practice practice will make you a good shot with your gun....not a ton of add-ons.

Spend that money on ammo, some extra mags, and a couple holsters and you're set

I agree with you that the G17 grip is slightly more comfortable compared to the G19, both are fine handguns though.
Upgrades to consider after breaking in your new handgun.
Glock factory extended slide release.
Tangodown Vickers extended mag release.
These 2 upgrades should be included as factory stock items IMO.
I also recommend tritium night sights for any EDC handgun.

Congratulations on buying one of the most advanced, reliable, self defense and recreational shooting tools ever devised.

I am a gunsmith and NRA pistol instructor. I have carried every day for the last 28 years. I've had night sights on everything until I started carrying a Glock. The white outline sights that come on it are so easy to see by the time you can't see them you won't be able to see a target anyway. Just lube the lube points shown in the book and shoot the snot out of it. They are well prepared as they come. I like the feel of the factory trigger. Easy to be accurate with and breaks real predictably. Do not polish the ramp. It is already glass smooth. My only complaint with how they come is the lever in the trigger sticks out too far when fully compressed and it hurts my finger when it's cold out. I slightly trimmed it so it fits flush when pulled. Now it's super comfortable to shoot. No need for the extended slide release. If you consistently drop the slide with the lever it will wear out the slide notch and the gun will no longer lock open after the last shot. After loading it's best to sling shot the slide.

The 3 internal safeties make it one of the safest guns you can carry and not having an external off switch keeps it ready for action at all times. I was almost killed from the delay in switching off a 1911 safety. (long story) As is, the Glock is just like a good double action revolver. You pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Dry firing and watching the sights during the follow through will do wonders for your live fire accuracy. Now all you need is a Dillon reloading machine to afford to shoot it. Your mission now is to try and wear it out. Good luck with that one.

Glock, the gun that people love or hate. Always produces a strong response, good or bad. Well, I dig them and have three in my safe (21, 23, 26). I agree with the folks that say you can shoot them flawlessly out of the box, but I have to admit I did two simple upgrades to mine. All three are identical, made sure they all have the same sight picture and trigger pull:

- Meprolight night sights
- Glock Factory 5lb connector

I've tried extended take down levers and extended magazine releases, not sure if they are useful or not. Can't recommend them. Likewise, the extended slide releases perhaps aren't the best way to go. From what I've read, Glocks are designed to be released by pulling back on the slide ("sling shot") not pushing down the slide release. It's the way I've always done it, works fine every time.

Others may disagree, but this is what I've done with my Glocks and I've enjoyed thousands of rounds of completely reliable, accurate shooting. Great choice...

Spend a few dollars more and get a Sig. Not poly and the ammo is fully supported in the barrel. I've seen Glocks come apart instead of blowing the mag out the bottom... 1st thing I did after seeing that was sell my glock. I'm not into poly frames :s0131:

I have several Glocks (G19/21/22/23/26) and haven't done a thing to them. They shoot great right out of the box, and I've never felt the need to mess with them.

As for holsters, I carry the G19 and use Foxx holsters. I have two, the Little Foxx and the Foxx Hybrid. Both are great.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to buy a Glock, or a Sig, or a whatever. Different likes for different folks.

Try them out to see what works best for YOU, rather than relying on the opinions of others.

I have changed the trigger on all three of my Glocks. They are MINE and MY responsibility. Shoot your Glock and decide for yourself what is best for you. Don't be mislead by the self appointed experts.

I've tried extended take down levers and extended magazine releases, not sure if they are useful or not. Can't recommend them. Likewise, the extended slide releases perhaps aren't the best way to go. From what I've read, Glocks are designed to be released by pulling back on the slide ("sling shot") not pushing down the slide release. It's the way I've always done it, works fine every time.

Others may disagree, but this is what I've done with my Glocks and I've enjoyed thousands of rounds of completely reliable, accurate shooting. Great choice...

Maybe you'll change your mind if you are injured and weakened, have to shoot with your offhand, or if you were weak/elderly/female. I game possibilities when I consider mods.. and I came out of the BHP/1911 crowd so I know how sweet a nice trigger can be for fast, accurate shooting. Same for an easier slide release. I have carried over a dozen other pieces over the years and I'm not a "Glock Perfection" guy.. but they can do the job well and offer many power~caliber/size options

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top