JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning on buying my first handgun in the next few weeks. Pretty much settled on a glock 17. Any advice for a first time glock shooter? What do I need to know? What are the must have upgrades or aftermarket parts?

Thanks

The 17 is a great first auto~pistol option

Tritium sights (I use the differential type with amber rears and green front)

Extended slide release

3.5 lb trigger

Lots of mags, ammo and practice

If you have no experience, do take a safety and a pistol class

Take a look at the Glock 19 before you buy a Glock 17,
19's tend to fit quite a few people better and the 4" barrel is plenty accurate.

I'd get an Evo Elite Trigger Connector and 6lb trigger spring, and do a 25 cent trigger job (watch youtube video)

Then practice practice practice

I'm kinda a 1911 guy. But I have several Glocks. A G17 is a very good choice for a first handgun. They are awesome right out of the box. Resist the urge to change things such as sights. Tritiums are nice, but the stock sights are more than adequate. And if you don't shoot much (if any) at night they aren't necessary.

As Blitz mentioned lots of ammo and lots of practice.

Oh and you can dry fire a Glock to your heart's content too.

Thanks for the comments all.

I looked hard at the 19 as we'll but it doesn't fit my hand. The finger grooves are too tight - I have big palms that force my pinky to sit awkwardly on the grip.

I have taken a pistol safety and shooting course.

I'll try the 25 cent trigger job before upgrading the trigger.

Can anyone recommend a holster?

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is, learn to shoot it from the factory first and then think about upgrades. I carry my 19 almost daily and I have shot an unknown amount of rounds through it, easily over 10000 rounds in the last four to five years and the trigger on mine is sweet. Resist the urge to change anything other than maybe night sites. The only reason I upgraded my sights was because I wanted to have the option as a night time home defense pistol.

I can carry any gun and have carried several over the years but my current daily CCW is a G22, very similar in size to a 17.. only the larger G21 and G20 fit me better. Huge believer in carrying a full size service pistol in 9MM +P or better as primary

I use the Glock factory extended slide release, glock mags (except for the 50 rd korean fun drums) and the glock 3.5 lb trigger

holsters.. can of worms, your attire, physique and lifestyle all matter

re: 25c trigger job.
Don't buy stuff that is expensive. Flitz is available at some local stores - like Ace, but if you can't find it any good polish will do - ie: Mother's Mag Polish

Don't use a machine like a Dremmel, unless you are skilled already in polishing with them
- the length of a tv show and you can polish all the metal parts in your firearm by hand.
Your goal is to make everything smooth - not to remove any material.

Not always clear on internet videos - polish what is making contact. Often that is the edge - like the trigger bar - and if you have a stamped part, some 2000, 1000, 600, 400 grit auto sandpaper is the way to start on smoothing the edge of those parts.
Polish the feed ramp to a Mirror finish.

Trigger, Springs
I'd suggest going slow to replacing a trigger. Some guns of the same type need this more than others. Yours may not, the factory trigger might be just right for you. If you are using this a defensive pistol, I wouldn't go as light at 3.5 lbs. Competition, target, plinking sure but dont' break the rules. But when you add adrenaline to the situation ... There is a reason certain police forces have 8 lb triggers. Being smooth with your pistol is what is really important.

Front Sight
Depending upon your age and eyesight - you might just paint the front sight with something florescent. Model paint or nail polish can be used and is inexpensive.
Red works best for me. Others like other colors - green, orange, white, gold.

Holsters are very personal.
What is your intended use. Daily carry - look at a sticky holster. Have to wear a tucked in shirt - look at Cross breed - "hybrid" Many like OWB if you can cover the firearm. Appendix carry might work best for you.
Search the forums and you tube for holsters - there are a lot.
If possible, find a local maker - I'd bet you'd get the same price as a big store or internet, and the craftsman can probably fit you.

There are a number of threads related to your newbie questions - take some time to search them.

OK. I'll bite since nobody else has. The best advice I can give you on a Glock is to not buy one.

Flame away.

Shoot it as is for a while.

Only thing it really needs is metal sights(night or regular), mags, ammo and a holster.

On the holster decide where you'll carry. I prefer kydex OWB, hybrid for 3-4 o'clock carry and kydex for appendix carry.

I currently carry OWB or appendix IWB in holsters similar to these:

59388616-c15c-4692-92c8-344fa5c5d65a_zps0527d59b.jpg

I'm actually going to agree with Kruejl with a caveat. Buy one, just get something else to get started preferably with an external safety. Glocks are an amazing firearm, but I always suggest to become proficient, learn to utilize safe weapon handling and trigger control with another pistol prior to buying a Glock. Though Glocks have internal safeties including a trigger safety, the only way to be extremely "aware" when using one is ALOT of rounds downrange and consistent carry on a daily basis....something you don't have just yet.

Just my opinion.....it doesn't mean its right.

Only thing I'd do or suggest is the sights. The plastic ones *can* get knocked off easier. They work just fine, but if you're gunna carry it, I'd spend the $100 and put some night sights on it. I like a solid black rear (have a Novak) and a tritium front (have a Trijicon). Keep it simple!

There is absolutely NO need to do any trigger work or extended anythings. Glocks are just about perfect out of the box!

I use a hybrid IWB holster, they work well for me. Be prepared to buy and sell (and loose money on) lots of holsters before you find something that works well for YOU.

Please don't "upgrade" or "aftermarket parts" it.

Other than that, enjoy and shoot it OFTEN.

That is great advise!

There are a lot of things out there to waste your money on. The Glock 17 is a GREAT gun, buy ammo and shoot. The Glock trigger is not difficult to master. Spend time/ammo shooting and learning before wasting your money on ANY of those unnecessary things.

Please do not start filing (or Dremeling) or modifying anything on any firearm unless your a qualified gunsmith/armorer and know/understand exactly what you're doing. Its a safety issue for you to be sure, but having been on the line with guns their owners have modified not knowing what they're doing, then experiencing bad things happening... it is a safety concern for any and all those around when the gun is being used.

I have a Gen 3 23C (40s&w and compensated barrel) and love the gun. It fits me well, sight picture is immediate for me during a quick draw, very easy to field strip with no tools, accurate, durable...not sure what's not to like about it. I think it is a great defense weapon since there is no manual safety to worry about. At first this was a bit of a turn off, but have now come to really appreciate it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top