JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. Never ever ever ever never try to kick above the waist in a street fight. One of my bouncers, when I was a head bouncer at a bar that was really rowdy, was the California state Taekwondo sparring champion. I sparred with him in the dojo and he was a nightmare. When he came to work for me I told him on the first day do not not not ever try to use one of your kicks above the waist. One night he was taking out the trash; he got into it with a guy. I saw and witnesses confirmed that he tried an inward crescent kick. The guy took one step to the side and stabbed him in the heart. He was dead in less than 30 seconds.

Back in my Tae Kwon Do and kick-boxing days, my training was rigid about the separation and differant rolls of practicing forms vs. competition in the ring vs. street fighting/combatives and he always said, "In a real fight, you're not going to punch someone in the knee, so don't kick them in the head".

Didn't read all responses, but from experience
1) don't get into one
2) of you do get into one do whatever it takes to win, there are no rules
3) improvised weapons untill you get to yours.

and the most important rule

4) WIN AT ANY COST.

1. Never ever ever ever never try to kick above the waist in a street fight. One of my bouncers, when I was a head bouncer at a bar that was really rowdy, was the California state Taekwondo sparring champion. I sparred with him in the dojo and he was a nightmare. When he came to work for me I told him on the first day do not not not ever try to use one of your kicks above the waist. One night he was taking out the trash; he got into it with a guy. I saw and witnesses confirmed that he tried an inward crescent kick. The guy took one step to the side and stabbed him in the heart. He was dead in less than 30 seconds.

Back in my Tae Kwon Do and kick-boxing days, my training was rigid about the separation and differant rolls of practicing forms vs. competition in the ring vs. street fighting/combatives and he always said, "In a real fight, you're not going to punch someone in the knee, so don't kick them in the head".
There have been some pretty epic knockouts in MMA from kicks to the head.

Just sayin'...

There have been some pretty epic knockouts in MMA from kicks to the head.

Just sayin'...
Yep when I watch that I am often shocked that more of them do not kill someone. That girl that was SOOOOO damn good was done in for good with that one time she got kicked in the head. It not only ended that fight it ended here time in the game. She never came back from that. Of course few of us have the kind of training those people get.

Yep when I watch that I am often shocked that more of them do not kill someone. That girl that was SOOOOO damn good was done in for good with that one time she got kicked in the head. It not only ended that fight it ended here time in the game. She never came back from that. Of course few of us have the kind of training those people get.

You're talking about Ronda Rousey and IMO she had that asswhooping coming. The Preacher's daughter rattled her for sure. She went into Professional wrestling (WWE) afterwards.

As others have mentioned, I too am an older person who has no intention of absorbing punches. A physical altercation or just the likelihood of one would quickly escalate to involving firearms...
Better to deal with the police regarding having drawn a handgun then recuperate from an assault.

You're talking about Ronda Rousey and IMO she had that asswhooping coming. The Preacher's daughter rattled her for sure. She went into Professional wrestling (WWE) afterwards.
Damn girl was amazing to watch. Most of her matches were over in less time that it would take to go to the fridge and get a drink. Impressed me. That one good blow to the head and she was never the same. VERY damn dangerous being kicked in the head. Still have a scar on one arm where a scum I Maced charged me and bit me, would not let go. Hit him with a sap and he dropped to the floor like the switch had been turned off. Even those things often did irreparable damage if you hit someone too hard. It's why I never see LEO's with them any more. :(

Damn girl was amazing to watch. Most of her matches were over in less time that it would take to go to the fridge and get a drink. Impressed me. That one good blow to the head and she was never the same. VERY damn dangerous being kicked in the head. Still have a scar on one arm where a scum I Maced charged me and bit me, would not let go. Hit him with a sap and he dropped to the floor like the switch had been turned off. Even those things often did irreparable damage if you hit someone too hard. It's why I never see LEO's with them any more. :(

Cris Cyborg would have destroyed her, too

1) "Hey, that violent person trying to hurt you, already thinks you look like an easy mark, show 'em you're still a good shot."
Due to advanced arthritis all over I can't run or go mano-a-mano. I can still shoot well enough give me a pretty good chance to prevent harm to myself.

2) "The smallest dweeb all strung out can have the strength of several men and the ability not to feel any pain."
Back in the Dream time I recall a group of 3 roommates whose hobby was getting into fights every weekend. Since they lived in 29 Palms a lot of the fights they got in were with Marines. Since they got in a lot of practice they were very adept street fighters and they didn't lose any fights I knew of. One of these gentlemen (named the Tazmanian Devil for good reason) stood 4'10". One of the other socially alternative V-T"win enthusiasts pulled a knife on TD, who climbed up his chest and destroyed every one of his teeth in front of the molars. No meth involved, just a bad a$$ dude.
2a) I knew another guy who got into a fight every weekend and got his clock cleaned just about every time. As one observer noted he must have been pretty tough - he just couldn't fight.

3) "Carrying your gun with you ought to put you in the mindset to avoid petty fights."
The last thing I want to do is get involved in some petty BS that's going to lead to any level of violence.
At 73 and needing a cane, I sure don't have anything to prove to anybody.

The worst part about a street fight is the type where it happens unprovoked, such as in the game called "knock out." People casually throwing a haymaker at some random person, often knocking them out or killing them, and walking away. Even some of the most aware people can be victims to this stupidity.

I have studied/ practice martial arts for a total of 18 years: traditional kung fu, wing chun, and Krav maga. Traditional kung fu was the most BS self defence art form for the modern day; designed for old horse fighting due to the "horse stance" forms. Wing chung is still practical because it is different, yet old and prepares one for direct fighting, not turning your self half-way for a fighting stance so commonly seen. It does not believe in kicking above the waist: legs fight legs and arms fight arms; difficult to explain in words but it works in practice as it does in theory. Great for fighting in confined spaces. Now, Krav maga is the icing in the fighting world! I loved going to class as it is not dependant on "forms" but practice sparring. It teaches you to use your surrounding, your clothes, your fingers, your mouth and head, your credit card - anything to be the victor, and I think it is the originator of ground fighting.

Nothing can prepare for an attack out of the blue but if you survive the first punch, Krav maga is king!

As a rule, I avoid many public places to reduce the chances of being a victim or harassed into a street fight.

I was a victim of this when a friend and I wouldn't share our beer with underaged punks at a graduation party. We were leaving after a verbal altercation inside then a bunch of them came running towards us and BAMMM I got hit from behind and knocked the F out...
I swore from that point I would never take my eyes off any advisory. Been fight free since then.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top