JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to mount a light on the front of my Sig 226. Have never mounted a light on gun before so I am looking for advise on what light to go with. Want to decide on the light before I decide on a holster. Price limit is $200 or less. Recommendations?
Thanks

I would go for the new Surefire X300 Ultra. Whenever I pop on a Full Size gun (rather than a compact or midsize) this will be my first light purchase. What's not to like about 500 lumesn?

I would go for the new Surefire X300 Ultra. Whenever I pop on a Full Size gun (rather than a compact or midsize) this will be my first light purchase. What's not to like about 500 lumesn?

Backscatter would be a the big one. Like any other tool there is a right way and a wrong way to use it. Brighter does not always = better. This is super easy to prove. When was the last time you drove in heavy fog, had your high beams on and wished you could add more bright light to it?

Outdoors for the most part brighter is usually better. Now change that to an indoor setting where you have light colored walls and other reflective surfaces. The higher the power the light is the increase in backscatter meaning you can actually make conditions worse for you also. How about if you are outside and it is snowing heavy, you turn on your bright light. What will happen to all that light?

I am not saying your choice is right or wrong. I am saying you need to understand the advantages and disadvantages in any tool you choose.

Trl-1 is a great light but the mounting system is lacking, kept popping off my 92A1. Although ergonomics are better than the x300, the surefire is slightly better quality, and mounts solid with quick on/off access.

I've not actually used the surefire X300u. I have, however, seen several videos on the interwebs. I know that you can't say for sure how great something is without testing it first hand but from what I've seen the x300u appears fine for indoor use.

I currently have two TLR-3's for my m&p compact and AR (originally for the m&p but going to add to the AR until funds can be set aside for a nice light, mount, and rail). I know one of my TLR-3's is over a 100 lumens and I don't find the back splash to be a problem. Now if you jack that up 400 lumens I can see how it might be. Until I test it the jury's still out.

I appreciate the thought provocation. Back splash inside is not even something I was or would've been thinking about.

I use a Streamlight TLR-1 on my duty gun, fired well over 800 rounds, no issues whatsoever except it's getting a little dirty. Holds on nice and tight, battery life is okay, nice and bright and can handle the rigors of shooting and being holstered/unholstered. Definitely want to buy one for my personal gun. Retail is like $100 as well, so not too bad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top