JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a handful of Colt factory mags that treat me just fine. Since they are stamped Colt, they see only very light range use. I have no firearms that are just "lookers" though, they all get carried in a "mean business" kind of way. 1911's are relatively simple and as such require little in the way of add ons and adjustment. I've had $100 llama's and multi thousand dollar Wilson's. They've all shot as expected just as I got them. If something was wrong, it was easily fixed. Basically, in my opinion, if you have a good shooter you have a good shooter. Don't fix what isn't broken. A 1991 colt is still a colt, and there is great following for them. I wouldn't change it a bit. Run good mags through it and it'll give you years of service. Good trade by the way, if it says colt on it, you got a good deal.

gotta say it. Gently press the trigger. The short reset as you learn it will teach you what I mean.
Go with good mags. Chip Mcormick shooting stars are really good for the price point.

Everything is so stock on that model - you're really better off leaving it that way. If you end up liking the 1911 platform, put this one away (as stock Colt's and S&W are more likely to retain collector value) - for the money you'd likely put into really doing everything with parts and labor - you could buy or nearly pay for another 1911 already nicely outfitted. In my view...

That's an interesting point, and one well worth considering. . . if my experience with classic cars is at all relevant, it is always far far cheaper to buy a car that someone else has tricked out and hotrodded than to do it yourself. I have on a number of occasions bought running/driving classic vehicles for less than the PO spent on the engine build. I wonder if the same is true with the custom 1911 set?

The issue becomes finding someone who has similar goals for their build. . .

Interesting. I have a couple Colt magazines which I got with the gun. The springs seem sound, although I was planning on replacing them if I had any feed issues. My general approach would have been to use Colt magazines in a Colt 1911, but I'm stuck on that if it isn't feeding well.

Gentlemen (and ladies?), in your experience do factory Colt magazines work well enough, or should I look into something fancier? I do like the stock look. . . is is possible to just replace the springs and the follower in the colt mags? This part is all pretty new to me. . . my revolver experience doesn't help me here :(

Colt mags will work for a while and then you'll have to rebuild them. I suggest Tripp Research Springs and Followers but they will cost you a round in each magazine you use them in. The advice about quality magazines is solid!! Wilson Combat's are great. I have a bunch of 47D's. Avoid Promags!!! Even Chip McCormicks don't hold a candle to Wilsons.

Other than shooting it a bunch (which I intend to do), do the members of the Church of John Browning, and the Cult of the 1911 hereabouts have any suggestions or tips?

The "Other than shooting it a bunch", is the best thing you can do. It provides you a starting point, or base line to draw from when thinking of possible upgrades.

All posts of suggestions are pretty much on line, but every 1911 owner is a bit different in what they might be wanting.

First off, I would figure out what are you going to do with it, and go from there. Take it to the range ever so often? Competition? Is it going to be a daily carry piece? All these will help you design a gun for your wants/needs.

That's an interesting point, and one well worth considering. . . if my experience with classic cars is at all relevant, it is always far far cheaper to buy a car that someone else has tricked out and hotrodded than to do it yourself. I wonder if the same is true with the custom 1911 set? .

Yes - the same is true; one of the reasons for the popularity of the 1911 platform is the ease and array of customization options; but it's not hard to drop an extra $500/750/1000 into these when you go for sights, trigger job, beavertail, full guiderod, upgraded safety, checkering, refinishing if needed after sights/checkering, etc.

An upgraded 1911 worth taking a look at, once you decide you like a single action setup, is the Ruger SR1911 with the typical array of desirable upgrades - Tackling the 1911: The Ruger SR1911 Review - Guns & Ammo

Also see All About the Series 80 Colt sight for basic information Colt Series 80 or MK IV, M1911, Series 70 and other Colt Guns

One area to become familiar with for new 1911 owners are 'Conditions of Readiness' ...

The Sight 1911 Conditions of Readiness Page

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol.

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
Condition 1 – Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

First off, I would figure out what are you going to do with it, and go from there. Take it to the range ever so often? Competition? Is it going to be a daily carry piece? All these will help you design a gun for your wants/needs.

That's good advice!

With my build and the way I dress a full size 1911 is not really a CC option. . . leastwise if I don't want to look like a hunchback. And, I'm pretty well covered on the CC front, unless I decide to switch things up.

I'm seeing current usage of the 1911(s) as being primarily a range toys and perhaps for HD/hiking/OC, although those later functions are pretty well covered by my magnum revolvers. And it is increasingly clear that I will probably end up with a minimum of two 1911 -- a clean reliable stocker and something to tune and customize potentially at the loss of some reliability. Long term, I have been thinking of exploring some competitive shooting pursuits (purely as a way to refine my own skills), and that is part of the reason I wanted to start familiarizing myself with the 1911 platform.

-- a clean reliable stocker and something to tune and customize potentially at the loss of some reliability.

If you run into any problems, gimme a shout...and I'll try to help you thru any problems you may come up against.

Reliability must always be kept at the forefront of any modification, and its not that hard to keep...as long as you keep aware that modifying one part may affect 2-3 other parts at the same time.

Get a clear understanding of how the 1911 operates and you'll go far. Its a very forgiving platform, but like anything...it has its limitations.

I don't wish anyone luck working on them, I wish folks much patience and the pursuit of knowledge before delving in the clockwork.

If you run into any problems, gimme a shout...and I'll try to help you thru any problems you may come up against.

That is a kind offer Sir. Thank you!

From everything I have read, to increase precision and accuracy in the 1911 platform requires tightening of fits and tolerances, which can result in feeding and ejection issues, and also increase maintenance needs. If it is possible to build a super accurate and super reliable 1911 with a great trigger, well that is the one that I will be aspiring toward ;)

Tightening the slide to the frame is way over rated.
Too much hype for only about 15% of the total accuracy modification picture.

The easiest most inexpensive bang for the buck is a quality fit barrel bushing.
Always, first and foremost is a proper fit barrel.
Get a quality barrel like Schuemann's AET, and yer well on yer way to about the best one can do.

Consistent barrel lockup is the key to accuracy...and consistent accuracy.

My one reservation about the series 80 was what I had read about the safeties. . . hence my original preference for a series 70.
I'm curious what you've read about the S80's safety? The Series 80 system has a proven track record. Those much-malinged Series 80 parts are designed to prevent the very real possibility of a discharge should you drop your Colt while a round is chambered.

Gentlemen (and ladies?), in your experience do factory Colt magazines work well enough, or should I look into something fancier?
I've got 2 8rd Colt 45 mags that never failed me.... but all my others are not factory mags. Chip McCormick (CMC) mags are an affordable option that have never failed me. I did once purchase a cheap mag at a gun show that does not work for me so definitely become familiar with name brands... I came close to buying a Wilson Mag once but the store had a CMC next to it for 20 less...

The easiest most inexpensive bang for the buck is a quality fit barrel bushing.
Always, first and foremost is a proper fit barrel.
Get a quality barrel like Schuemann's AET, and yer well on yer way to about the best one can do.

Consistent barrel lockup is the key to accuracy...and consistent accuracy.

More good info -- thanks!

I'm curious what you've read about the S80's safety? The Series 80 system has a proven track record. Those much-malinged Series 80 parts are designed to prevent the very real possibility of a discharge should you drop your Colt while a round is chambered.

What I read in multiple places is that the additional complexity and lockwork of the s80 firing pin safety detracted from the excellent SA trigger found in the original Browning design. I have also heard that it is even more noticeable if you make the trigger lighter.

I also hear stated again and again " It was incorporated to make the 1911 more drop safe, a great solution to a non existent problem." I tend to think that Mr Browning was a genius of a designer -- he originally incorporated two safeties into the gun the manual thumb safety and the grip safety, and both of those were deemed adequate for 72 years (1911-1983). Part of the beauty of the 1911 IMHO is the simplicity of the design -- anything that adds moving parts to an otherwise functional firearm is suspect to me. Do these 4 moving parts really need to be there? Isn't that just more stuff to cause friction, wear, and eventually break?
th_Series80Safety.jpg series80fpblock.jpg

Finally, as an Attorney myself, a former litigator (lots of suing the Federal Government re state's right issues back in the day;), and a pretty serious and outspoken critic of the overly litigious nature of modern American society, I'm more apt to ascribe the incorporation of a third passive safety to the advice of Colts lawyers than to any real functional need. It showed up in the same general timeframe that S&W my other favorite maker started putting the damnable frame lock onto their otherwise excellent revolvers, and we all know the motivation behind that and the problems that the lock has had IRL. So, I guess I'm predisposed to dislike and distrust any modern safety measure added to classic designs during periods of political infighting and cultural scrutiny.

Sorry for the long winded reply. . . I still get worked up about this stuff. . .

th_Series80Safety.jpg

series80fpblock.jpg

Although the firing pin safety (FPS) crap has its virtues, its really a legal answer which had no question.

Of the FPS on the market, Colt and those other companies that use the same style, are pretty robust as FPS go.

But its just one more thing that can go wrong when you don't need it to. What's that about Murphy and his law?

For a carry gun, I would avoid them. And contrary to popular belief, its hard to get a round to go off when dropping the muzzle end on the floor.
An extra power firing pin spring will end the problem...if there is one. And if you're still nervous about it...add a Titanium firing pin as well.

Do these 4 moving parts really need to be there? Isn't that just more stuff to cause friction, wear, and eventually break?
My argument against that would be that 4 parts is not really that complicated a system, I've never heard of a S80 FPS malfunction. Just my anecdotal opinion, I don't see anything wrong with getting rid of it if you don't want it I just wouldn't do it for merely solving a reliability reason. I could see how a competition gun might perform better without it. Many years ago I had a chance to buy a S70 commander and kick myself for not.

There have been Colt FPS failures. I've had a few on the bench over the years, but they are rare.

Less rare is the Swartz type FPS, which Kimber uses. Fragile and more prone to timing problems.

One can get 3-4 lb triggers with a FPS. They are a pain to work with, with the extra parts...but it can be done.

There have been many a internet argument about disabling a safety. But I don't see the FPS as a big deal to disable...legal-wise.

Springfield doesn't use them with their 1911's...and if I recall right, I don't believe I've seen them on Dan Wesson or STI.

Sarco recently imported a batch of vintage 1911's, prices weren't bad iirc. pretty worn cosmetically, but for me the cool factor is imeasurable. a well worn 1911 may not be the most accurate, but, they do function very well.

I'm curious what you've read about the S80's safety? The Series 80 system has a proven track record.

Maybe he read something I posted. The only time I had a 1911 fail to fire, the FPS was the cause. Knowing what I know now (this was over 15 years ago) I would have removed it myself. But at that time it went back to the manufacturer. Also, that gun had a mushy trigger. I can honestly lay that at the fault of the FPS, too. The sponginess I felt at the trigger was the function of the FPS. Like Wichaka said, you can tune most of this out, but I would never have it on a carry gun. If the OP decides this is a range only gun, then I'd say don't mess with it.

But, just like the plastic trigger I'd change, all of this can be changed, then changed back at a later date if desired.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top