Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Advice about painting a rifle

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by james83, Aug 18, 2012.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi, Forum members

Im seeking some advice about painting a rifle

I have never painted a rifle before and im not sure about the best way to go about it, I have seen alot of pretty nice looking camo paint
    jobs and wanted to try something myself, Heres the thing, I now have 4 AK47 type rifles I have a SAR1 a GP1975 and two Yugo m70 AB2
    underfolders. Its been a longstanding joke with friends that i should paint one of my AK's gold and now i would actually like to do it.
    I realise that by painting it gold i will ruin anykind of re-sale value and i realise that most people will hate the idea of a gold AK, I just
    think it would be kinda amusing.

Im just wondering what would be the best kind of spraypaint to use? I know krylon and rusto make camo paint but is the regular gold paint
    ok to use on a rifle? would i be better using some kind of high temperature paint?

Also will painting the rifle effect the function?

Any and all advice and infomation about the process of painting a rifle is appreciated also if anyone has pictures of guns they have painted
    I would like to take a look

thanks -james

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

I would slap the crap out of you if I could:laugh: I hope that helps.

Rascals, james83, PaulZ and 3 others like this.
  3. james83

Thanks slimer13 it helps! hahaa I know its a terrible idea I just think it will look so terrible that its kinda cool

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I was actually considering this for my underfolder project.
    I've got bakelite furniture and gold would go great with it. I was originally going to have mine plated or gold plated but that is a little expensive.

A gold ak would make a great wall mounted weapon.
    If you go through with it post pictures!

james83 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. james83

I will definatly post pictures once the rifle is painted, im still not sure which one of my ak's im going to paint but im thinking one of my underfolders will be the best option, They have wood fore ends and i think the wood against gold contrast will look pretty cool.

I have been looking at alot of pictures online and im also considering having a gunsmith hardchrome finish the rifle, not quite as 'bling' as a gold finish but still pretty cool

6. slofyr

slofyr Seattle Member

Duracoat, and one of their colors is gold.

DuraCoat Standard Colors - A thru G

7. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Duracoat or KG Gun Kote - both have gold available and deal with high temperatures well - fairly gun chemical resistant as well. I wouldn't paint an AK gold but whatever floats your boat.
    The best way to have the paint stick well would be to strip the gun down to a barreled action, bead blast it, clean it well, parkerize it, then shoot the paint over the park finish. The paint will bond well to the park finish. The up side is when you decide you don't like the gold color you can always strip it back down and repaint it black again and will already have the process down ;)

8. Gunnerboy

Gunnerboy Cowlitz County Active Member

I used automotive paint to great success on a 870. ( no gold tho )

9. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Gold painted AK?

Well, I've heard dumber ideas, but not many.

Take a couple weeks and think about it. If it still sounds good then, go for it.

Of course you could consider just using gold plate or gold leaf. THAT would actually add some value to the weapon instead of what you have in mind.

10. humdrum

humdrum Lakewood Active Member

Well if you don't like it when it's done you can always blast it off and coat it black again. Go for it; It will make for a good story if nothing else!

11. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

gold-ak47.jpg Sadam's gold AK

12. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

13. james83

Thanks for all the replies guys, The gold Ak project kinda got sidelined for a while, I actually really like the idea of having actual gold plating on an Ak but until i win the lottery its a little outta my price range, But the Duracoat option looks the best way to go. The only problem im having at the moment is which one of my Ak's i want to paint, Im really finding it hard to decide, I decided to put my G30 up for trade on the forum as i dont use it very often, One of the trades im interested in is a budget Ak like a wasr or someting that i will not feel to bad about painting gold!

BTW

That picture of one of saddams gold Ak's was my original idea for painting an Ak gold as a 'joke' its so horrible i think its kinda cool hahaha

14. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

This kind of sounds like the 2008 Election. Someone thought Obama would be a good idea.

still-a-dumb-idea.jpg
    Now, a lot think it was a bad joke.

still-a-dumb-idea.jpg

Glockman19 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

I never heard of a painted rifle before, but a girlfriends Dad once told me He would paint his shotgun white and give his daughter a Formal Wedding!