JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some say it's flex in the shell plate. But I think it's more the tolerance's in the head. when you insert the head on a Dillon you will View attachment 595697 View attachment 595698 View attachment 595699 have some play. View attachment 595696 with these tolerances if you are running one case at a time the head does not react the same as a case in each stage. I know a pic is worth a thousand words so here are some maybe this helps.

I see the diff in head thickness... not sure how the diff affects things because the .223 setup head is still the .223 setup (same) head whether single or progressive... But yes, I didn't know the head flexes on the stroke... never experienced that when loading 9mm and .45ACP... must be a rifle case thing... interesting. Or are you saying that the tool head cants because it doesn't fit tightly, so it cants with only one shell, but with shells in all the dies, the toolhead is evenly pushed against the rails? Hmmmm, that seems more likely.

Different thing: Been doing some research and it seems that reloaders aren't noticing a big accuracy penalty with the standard cast Dillon toolheads as compared to the "billet" toolheads that fit tightly.

...Or are you saying that the tool head cants because it doesn't fit tightly, so it cants with only one shell, but with shells in all the dies, the toolhead is evenly pushed against the rails? Hmmmm, that seems more likely.

I use the standard tool heads and what you've mentioned above is what I see.
Typically I'll run a single round through and verify powder, seating depth, etc.
Then I'll drop the seating die a few thousandths. This usually takes care of the difference when all stations are populated & doing a full run.

What's the remainder of the numbers on the die? Would be interesting to find out what this one really is now...

Only other markings on the die are D4, which I think is a manufacturing date. This may be some version of the Lee Universal Expander die with part(s) missing. Or as I said previously, maybe an older pistol expander die that didn't have the powder through feature. I'm not sure but it sure isn't related to .223.

Some say it's flex in the shell plate. But I think it's more the tolerance's in the head. when you insert the head on a Dillon you will
have some play.

Thanks for this, I will keep it in mind. I have some single stage presses so I don't envision using the Dillon 550 for one station operations.

I use the standard tool heads and what you've mentioned above is what I see.
Typically I'll run a single round through and verify powder, seating depth, etc.
Then I'll drop the seating die a few thousandths. This usually takes care of the difference when all stations are populated & doing a full run.

Thanx!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads