JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Neckbearding For Fun and Profit

By Ragnar E. Benson Nightvisionary

TLDR: Bidder disappears after winning auction, Seller relists sells item and moves on, 11 days later bidder says he was out of country, money sent and appears to be a scammer, seller says too late, item resold, no money received, don't contact me again. Bidder continues to repeatedly contact seller. Seller finally responds and says if you want to send me free money send me free money. Bidder sends free money.

Auction description/Terms:

Federal American Eagle 5.7x28mm 40 grain FMJ. 400 rounds total in 8 fifty round factory boxes. Payment: Via Paypal (Paypal add 3%, unless sent as gift),Zelle or Money Order. Paypal payments must have no descriptions attached to payment indicating a firearms or ammunition related purchase. Ammunition will be shipped ASAP once payment is received.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer

To:

Seller

Sun, Oct 4 at 7:01 PM

Sir, congratulations on your winning bid. Your total with shipping is $406.00. I can accept payment via Paypal (Add 3% unless sent as Paypal gift) to [email protected], Zelle to 503-XXX-XXXX, or money orders to : XXXXXX . I will ship ASAP upon receiving payment and follow up with the UPS tracking number. Please let me know if you desire additional insurance or signature delivery and I will add those services and send a revised total.

Best regards

Seller

Buyer

To:

Seller

Mon, Oct 5 at 9:15 PM

Sir, congratulations on your winning bid. Your total with shipping is $406.00. I can accept payment via Paypal (Add 3% unless sent as Paypal gift) to [email protected], Zelle to 503-XXX-XXXX, or money orders to : XXXX. I will ship ASAP upon receiving payment and follow up with the UPS tracking number. Please let me know if you desire additional insurance or signature delivery and I will add those services and send a revised total.

Best regards

Seller

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GunBroker.com

GunBroker.com Payment Reminder

Dear Buyer,

XXXXX, the seller of the item below has not received payment for the item won. Please contact the seller immediately and complete the transaction.

The seller has included this note to you. Please reply to the sender by choosing the 'Reply' button in your email software. You are able to reply to this message to contact the seller to arrange payment and delivery for the item won.

-- BEGIN MESSAGE FROM SELLER--

Sir, congratulations on your winning bid. Your total with shipping is $406.00. I can accept payment via Paypal (Add 3% unless sent as Paypal gift) to [email protected], Zelle to 503-XXX-XXXX, or money orders to : XXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX. I will ship ASAP upon receiving payment and follow up with the UPS tracking number. Please let me know if you desire additional insurance or signature delivery and I will add those services and send a revised total.

Best regards

Seller

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the 5th and final day for the buyer to respond and make payment arrangements I had received no response. I filed a Non-paying bidder report with Gunbroker. They sent a final warning to the buyer for payment. I was charged about $27.00 for listing and final value fees and lost bidders. In order to receive a refund on the auction fees I had to relist the item and wait another 9 days. Luckily the item sold with Buy It Now a couple days later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer

To:

Seller

Thu, Oct 15 at 7:19 PM

First of all I would like to apologize for taking so long to get the payment to you...

I was out of the country and didn't realize I had actually won the bid...

So as soon as I got to internet and got on my emails I saw where I had won and got you paid...

I hope you understand and I appreciate your patience.

I haven't received the auction items yet can you send me tracking info or can you see where it is please and thank you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the man places a legally binding bid then 3 days later is "Out of the Country". I have not been "Paid" as he asserts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seller

To:

Buyer

Fri, Oct 16 at 9:36 AM

Mr. Buyer

Per your Gunbroker user agreement:

5. Buyers and Sellers. a. Buyer Undertakings. Placing a bid constitutes entering into a binding legal contract with the seller to purchase the Item on the terms stated in this Agreement, the Site Rules and in the Listing, if your bid is the winning bid. You agree that if your bid is the winning bid, you will complete the purchase of the Item on such terms. All payments for Items purchased on the Site shall be remitted to the seller (we do not accept payment in any form for the Items bid on by buyers). You agree that you will not bid on any Item unless the transfer and transport of that Item to you can be done in accordance with all Legal Requirements. You represent and warrant that you are bidding on all Items only for your own account and not for the benefit of any third party

Under the auction and site terms you had 5 days to respond to my emails and arrange payment for your winning bid. You defaulted on your obligation by waiting 11 days to contact me. Grown men don't give excuses. You cost me time and money. I have relisted and sold the item, Gunbroker has issued a non-paying bidder strike against you, and I have blocked you from bidding on my auctions. I have received no payments from you. Should I receive funds from you I will promptly return them.

Please do not contact me further.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

3 hours later at 12:34PM he called my cell phone and left a message asking me to call him back with the tracking number.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

At 5:47 PM he called again. I did not answer.

Buyer

To:

Seller

Tue, Oct 20 at 4:58 AM

Have you received payment on the order yet I've tried to send it 2 time now and not sure why you haven't received it yet please call me to help me figure out whats going on...

XXX-XXX-XXXX thank you

At this point I am convinced he is either trolling me or running a scam. I have already been very clear that he defaulted on the auction, the item has been sold, I will not do business with him and he should not contact me further. So I responded.

Buyer

To:

Seller

Tue, Oct 20 at 1:33 PM

I am not set up through the Gunbroker payment system. If you are attempting to send a gift payment you will need to go to your Paypal summary page, choose the "More" option in the upper right corner. From the drop down menu select "Send gift". My Paypal account is [email protected]. Enter that and whatever amount you are sending. Then send.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buyer

To:

Seller

Tue, Oct 20 at 2:50 PM

Thank you, I will do that.

I'm sorry for the delay I've not been able to get any help on figuring this out...

Is there a better way to do this? If so please tell me and I'll get you the money faster...

The guy actually sends me $393.93 and labels it "For ammo" in the Payment description. At this point I have no contract with the man for ammo. Legally he has just sent me a gift. I have no obligation to exchange goods with him and have made it clear I no longer have the goods he wishes to buy, I won't do business with him and I do not want any contact from him. I am not going to accept the man's money so it will sit there unclaimed until he cancels the payment. Aside from all that if we were doing business the guy waited 16 days to send payment, violated the auction terms by shorting me the 3% Paypal fee and by putting my 19 year Paypal account and his at risk of termination by putting "For Ammo" in the description. F this guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buyer

To:

Seller

Tue, Oct 20 at 3:11 PM

I think I have this right please check and see if you have the payment please and let me know...

Thank you sir.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer

To:

Seller

Tue, Oct 20 at 3:12 PM

Please let me know when you have the payment

I'm sorry I'm too stupid to figure this out...

This was a learning experience... WOW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't say:mad:. And this is where it sits right now.:rolleyes:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update, I just sent this email:

Seller
To:Buyer

Wed, Oct 21 at 10:31 AM

I believe I was quite clear in my October 16th email. You defaulted on the auction terms, the ammunition was relisted, sold, and is no longer available. I will not do business with you because you did not abide by the auction terms we both agreed to. Lastly, I asked you to NOT contact me again. Instead you called my cell phone twice and continued to send several emails. Your behavior has had all the warning signs of being a scam or a troll until you sent money. Now I just realize you have not one iota of common business sense and do not belong on Gunbroker bidding on auctions. I am not here to hold your hand and walk you through the process.

If we were doing business and I accepted your payment (We are not) you again violated the terms clearly stated in the auction that Paypal payments must include an additional 3% to cover the transaction fee and you were NOT to put ANY firearm or ammunition related terms in the payment description, which you did. By doing so you have violated Paypal's terms of service which prohibits firearm and ammunition related transactions and made that account, which I assume belongs to your wife, subject to immediate and permanent termination.

Because we have no contract and I made the conditions described above very clear to you, the money you sent me is legally a gift, I owe you nothing in return. I even made it clear in my last email that anything you sent me would be a gift. That said, I will not accept your money nor do business with you, ever. The money is sitting unclaimed where it will sit until you or your wife logs onto that account and cancels the payment. At that point the money will return to your account. I suggest you do it very quickly. The longer that payment sits unclaimed with the "For Ammo" description that you attached to it, the greater the likelihood of that account being terminated permanently.

This has been a very unpleasant time consuming fiasco. If you want to make things right cancel the payment quickly and don't contact me again.

Good day Sir.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer

To:Seller

Thu, Oct 22 at 10:11 AM

You have to make it where I can cancel that payment on PayPal...
So if you don't mind I would appreciate you doing so...
Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller

To:Buyer

Thu, Oct 22 at 10:27 AM

I have not accepted or claimed the money so there are no steps I can take to assist you. You must cancel the transaction on your end. I will not accept the the money then issue a refund it as that would make my bank account subject to fees, fraud, or overdrafts. If you are unable to figure out how to cancel your payment Paypal will automatically refund it after 30 days since I have not and will not accept the transaction.

Last Edited:
Uh huh! I hear neck bearding keeps vampires at bay?!

popcorn-and-soda.jpg

Sounds like you did the right thing, completely understandable. If it were me I would send another message saying that he didn't respond in the required timeline for payment and it was relisted and sold, and you are not collecting the payment so he can cancel it. It does sound like this guy is either an idiot or scammer.

I get lost in the extra words sometimes by reading to fast. You took the high road. Be encouraged, except for paypal account.
I got scammed last week. I'm not gonna lose my house, but still kicking myself after years of doing good deals....2020 happens and I get took.

Sounds like you did the right thing, completely understandable. If it were me I would send another message saying that he didn't respond in the required timeline for payment and it was relisted and sold, and you are not collecting the payment so he can cancel it. It does sound like this guy is either an idiot or scammer.

I get lost in the extra words sometimes by reading to fast. You took the high road. Be encouraged, except for paypal account.
I got scammed last week. I'm not gonna lose my house, but still kicking myself after years of doing good deals....2020 happens and I get took.

What happened? Don't tell me you cashed a check and sent the excess funds to the buyer?

Sometimes (not often) I need a reminder as to why I only deal with cash and face to face. This reinforces my decisions.

Luckily it's been the exception rather than the rule. The YTD amount below is actually from September 10th. No way I could make those numbers on ammo FTF locally.

Gbroker.jpg

Just curious as I may need to replace a dishwasher...how much are you getting for 9mm FMJ? (Winchester white box, specifically, if you know)

I haven't sold any white box 9mm. I did sell 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm recently for $115. There is not a huge profit to be made. Here is the breakdown:

Sold Price: $115.00
Purchase Price: -$54.00
Gunbroker Final Value Fee -$7.00
Gunbroker Featured Listing Fee -$2.95
Fuel to acquire product and deliver to UPS - $5.00
Packaging materials -$1.50

Amount remaining $44.55

Time spent acquiring product, listing product, packing & shipping product, and sending out out invoices and ship notifications. 2.5 hours. If you don't have a UPS commercial account you will get bent over a barrel and spanked with a wet kipper on shipping. Thus your shipping prices will be wildly uncompetitive or they will come out of your profit. Remember it is illegal to ship ammo via USPS so everything has to be shipped ORMD via UPS or Fed Ex and they only accept these packages at the hubs. They will not accept them at UPS stores or FED EX Office and Print locations.

I haven't sold any white box 9mm. I did sell 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm recently for $115. There is not a huge profit to be made. Here is the breakdown:

Sold Price: $115.00
Purchase Price: -$54.00
Gunbroker Final Value Fee -$7.00
Gunbroker Featured Listing Fee -$2.95
Fuel to acquire product and deliver to UPS - $5.00
Packaging materials -$1.50

Amount remaining $44.55

Time spent acquiring product, listing product, packing & shipping product, and sending out out invoices and ship notifications. 2.5 hours. If you don't have a UPS commercial account you will get bent over a barrel and spanked with a wet kipper on shipping. Thus your shipping prices will be wildly uncompetitive or they will come out of your profit. Remember it is illegal to ship ammo via USPS so everything has to be shipped ORMD via UPS or Fed Ex and they only accept these packages at the hubs. They will not accept them at UPS stores or FED EX Office and Print locations.

Yeah but...
Since hanging out here I bet you're saving big time on those finders fees. :rolleyes:

Yeah but...
Since hanging out here I bet you're saving big time on those finders fees. :rolleyes:

Although additional sources of intel are always helpful I have a system I use outside of this website to find out what is available. I mainly come here to gloat or complain.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top