JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hear many people say they prefer the tactical advantage of an all black firearm. I am curious as to what the true advantage would be and if it actually an advantage at all when all things are considered.

If you are carrying concealed the gun is completely covered. Since that is the case I see no real need for a black slide. Maybe a black slide would make the gun a little less noticeable if you exposed your weapon, but that is something we should be avoiding anyway. Even then I doubt it would make all that much difference in a real world scenario where people pay so little attention.

If you open carry the question is completely moot.

If you ever have to actually draw your weapon statistics support the idea that the gun being visible to your assailant actually increases your odds of not having to use it. That would seem to make you want your gun to be as "noticeable" as possible. I would think this aspect of a stainless gun would far outweigh the value of a black gun being slightly less noticeable during an accidental exposure.

Thoughts?

My two cents on this topic is that those who argue on the advantages of one color over another are like the theologians who argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It makes for interesting intellectual stimulation, but has no worth in the real world.

I don't think the color of one's carry gun matters much. Maybe some tactical advantage could be had by an all black gun in an offensive situation, by not giving away your position before an attack. In a self defense situation, if the BG sees your weapon, then I agree that you may want to make it as obvious as possible for the bad guy to know that a gun is pointed at him. If you draw and fire in one movement, well, color might only matter in court, or so I've heard.

Maybe some tactical advantage could be had by an all black gun in an offensive situation, by not giving away your position before an attack.

Makes sense to me. Maybe less chance of reflection giving away one's position. Other than that? Nothing.

Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe there would be a tactical advantage to NOT having a black carry gun. What if you had to draw on someone, and instead of a black gun you pulled out a nice pink or yellow piece? The "WTF?" factor you inflict on your adversary might give you a second or two advantage. :D

The only time the color of the gun matters is when it is under glass and the potential buyer says "OOOOOOhh, shinny. It looks cool!" The lead down range is all the same and the grouping is dependent upon the shooters skill.

Gosh you guys, don't you know? All your guns have to be black or duracoated some tactical color. Otherwise they would clash with your tactical OD pants and operator-grade multicam jacket and that would just be TERRIBLE. All my guns are duracoated OD because that way whenever any normal person (sheep) sees you they *know* that you're a high-speed low-drag tier-1 neighborhood watch OPERATOR sheepdawg and they will feel very safe. Also it makes you invisible to bad guys.

The color of a weapon gives no advantage to its accuracy or durability. However color does effect concealability for long guns. In nature there is no true black, so firearms such as the AR that are all black tend to stand out in all environments. If you truly want to hide yourself in your environment, ie camouflage, then you need to camo you firearm to match your surroundings.

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a kid. My friend and I were shooting rats with BB guns along the Chicago River under the bridge of a busy street when two plainclothes officers came down and started yelling at us, especially to my friend who was closest to them. In fear, and remembering I was wearing a black t-shirt, I took my all matte black CO2 gun and pressed it up flat against my chest and covered part of it with my open palm (as if I was having a heart attack). They took away his gun but never approached me and I always thought it was because they never saw the gun. It is dark under those bridges even in daylight.

As an adult, since 92% of all defensive uses of a gun don't result in a shot being fired, I'm wondering if my choice in all black carry guns was not the wisest. A stainless steel 1911 would be far more visible than an HK45. On the other hand, I wouldn't pull out a gun unless I was actually going to use it, so I don't know...

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a kid. My friend and I were shooting rats with BB guns along the Chicago River under the bridge of a busy street when two plainclothes officers came down and started yelling at us, especially to my friend who was closest to them. In fear, and remembering I was wearing a black t-shirt, I took my all matte black CO2 gun and pressed it up flat against my chest and covered part of it with my open palm (as if I was having a heart attack). They took away his gun but never approached me and I always thought it was because they never saw the gun. It is dark under those bridges even in daylight.

As an adult, since 92% of all defensive uses of a gun don't result in a shot being fired, I'm wondering if my choice in all black carry guns was not the wisest. A stainless steel 1911 would be far more visible than an HK45. On the other hand, I wouldn't pull out a gun unless I was actually going to use it, so I don't know...
A better way of thinking is you would not pull out a gun unless you were willing to use it. Saying you will use it if it is pulled is a bad mindset to put yourself into. Rule of thumb in SD is that the "next to last" thing you want to be forced to do is draw your weapon. The last thing is to fire it. Drawing and firing are not automatically linked. If pulling a firearm stops the threat you take a great risk to your freedom by continuing on to the next step of firing it. :)

Damn, Spengo beat me to the high speed, low drag, Tier 1 operator joke. :)

I was asked by a gun store clerk if I really wanted a stainless slide for carrying. I guess there is the possibility if glimpsed a black gun might be overlooked or mistaken for a cell phone?

If you want people to think it's a cell phone wouldn't a metallic color (red, green, blue, etc.) be best anyway? Maybe with some stickers and a tiny cactus/stuffed animal/blinky LED attached on a lanyard too.

Seems like most people don't have black cell phones anymore...

A better way of thinking is you would not pull out a gun unless you were willing to use it. Saying you will use it if it is pulled is a bad mindset to put yourself into. Rule of thumb in SD is that the "next to last" thing you want to be forced to do is draw your weapon. The last thing is to fire it. Drawing and firing are not automatically linked. If pulling a firearm stops the threat you take a great risk to your freedom by continuing on to the next step of firing it. :)
I agree. Your words express what I was thinking better. I was also trying to say that I wouldn't pull out the gun to intimidate, or because I hoped its appearance would scare off the attacker, or to fire a warning shot. The gun would only come out if I really believed I needed to use it to stop someone from using deadly force against me or my family. I really want to be in that 92%, but if I pulled it out I've made my decision to deal with the nightmare that follows if I end up in the 8%.

In hoping to be in the 92%, would a stainless steel SA TRP 1911-A1 look more menacing than an HK45? Would an all black XDm look more like a toy or something else in poor lighting, than something with a more recognizable profile like a 92FS?

As a civilian in a self defense situation your legal ability to stalk with stealth then initiate an attack would be very slim. This would make your justification of a black or OD green weapon not all that important. I wouldn't count on a flashy stainless gun (which I'm guilty of owning a few) having a deterrent effect either. A stainless gun would be easier for a bad guy to identify as a gun with the normal association of metal to a firearm. I think this could be of benefit. For me, my guns are not just utilitarian tools like a hammer. They are historical, of unique design, or just plain nice to look at. Defending yourself is a mindset more than it is a particular tool or color of said tool so pick a tool you like and enjoy. :)

Besides, you may need to use your pistol to signal rescue aircraft in the event of an emergency... :)
View attachment 195623

I often wear black undershirts so I chose a black EDC firearm. Sure we all take care to not flash a sidearm but occasionally it will happen and subtle is what subtle does.

-d

The only thing I can see is that a shiny gun *might* glint sunlight or something, and alert the guy to your actions .5 seconds early.

A lot of factors play into this though. Where the event happens, weather, etc.

I'm personally just not a huge fan of blingy guns, but beyond that, I wouldn't sweat it.

I do own 1 stainless 1911. I'll probably not buy another, but not for reasons involving carry or concern about being made.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top