JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Black gun stands out less in case your jacket gets blown by the wind?

Dunno. Most defense pistols are black.

Possibly the surface treatments that are most economical are black. I believe the same goes for leather jackets. Black is cheaper while providing the same benefits of any other color. Denim is usually blue for similar reasons. Form follows function and economics.

black is scary

black is goth mr. anderson

black is tactical ware black shorts and now your tactical too. i have black socks so my feet are tactical

black is stealth like a ninja

black ROCKS! Rock on metallica dude

black is Johnny Cash (but was he tactical?)

Black guns are cool

The only thing I can see is that a shiny gun *might* glint sunlight or something, and alert the guy to your actions .5 seconds early.

A lot of factors play into this though. Where the event happens, weather, etc.

I'm personally just not a huge fan of blingy guns, but beyond that, I wouldn't sweat it.

I do own 1 stainless 1911. I'll probably not buy another, but not for reasons involving carry or concern about being made.

this is the case with a lot of competition shooters who make cuts on the top of the slide to cut down on glare.

The color of a weapon gives no advantage to its accuracy or durability. However color does effect concealability for long guns. In nature there is no true black, so firearms such as the AR that are all black tend to stand out in all environments. If you truly want to hide yourself in your environment, ie camouflage, then you need to camo you firearm to match your surroundings.
as for black not occuring in nature, ok, but in regards to the OP concerns, NW concealed carry the environment is dark clothing so when it comes to normal day to day clothing, black blends in better with the liners and exterior of my jackets, my belts, black jeans/slacks, inconspicuous pouches for whatever. Basically if someone gets a glint of something black around the waist, a normal person doesn't automatically think 'GUN!'. But if it was stainless, you might get that extra attn you didn't want.

I open my black fanny pack, with an all black gun inside, at registers all the time.
The black gun is small too and has never drawn any attention from anyone, so far.
I don't know if I'd do that with a shiney gun.
Mostly in a hot climate area...not here in the Northwest.

just sayin'
Tilos

I'd prefer a chameleon finish on my carry gun.

But until that process is developed, becomes reasonably affordable and durable, I'll stay with the less conspicuous flat black finish just in case my shirt-tail gets ta flappin' in the breeze.

When I was buying my revolver I narrowed it down to a silver S&W and a black S&W. The guy at the shop was saying he would prefer the silver as it's more of a deterrent to a BG. I don't ever plan on using a firearm as a deterrent, it's a self defense tool and you won't be seeing it unless I'll be using it to defend my life or the life of a loved one.

On the other hand, if you had the chrome plated, you would always have a mirror with you...

I open my black fanny pack, with an all black gun inside, at registers all the time.
The black gun is small too and has never drawn any attention from anyone, so far.
I don't know if I'd do that with a shiney gun.
Mostly in a hot climate area...not here in the Northwest.

just sayin'
Tilos

You need to get one of the fanny packs that have the hidden compartment in the back with a built in holster. Then you do not have to expose your weapon at registers. :)

A gun fanny pack screams GUN and you are made by anyone who has ever seen one.
You might as well wear a sign or open carry if you use a "gun" fanny pack.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top