JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So while on the internet looking for good ideas on best way to mount my RCBS press to the table I ran into this sight ( <broken link removed> )and a couple others like it in which people are raising the press 6-10 inches off the table top. I can see how this could put the die in a better field of view and I think I could build a riser with scrap metal and skills I have..... However there must be disadvantages to this or I'd think I'd have seen more of them on the reloading bench pics I've seen.

What say ye guys?

Thanks

Some guys like to reload standing up. But that probably doesn't really answer your question since most that do need a bench that's pretty high even with a riser to do so.
It probably just boils down to preference relative to ergonomics.. me, I like to see each powder throw (pistol) with my eyeball and the ergos while sitting suit me just fine.

I have to sit with a bar stool positioned "just so" to keep the handle of my Dillon from running into the stool. It might not be the case if the press was located farther up. I've wondered the same things as the OP, but this is the only thing I think the risers would do for me.

I have the riser strong mount for my Dillon 650 and no riser for my Lee turret press. Now that I really think about it having the riser when running a progressive and standing works better for me with the fast repetitive motion. Sitting down and running the turret while weighing each charge makes me go slower and pay closer attention.

As others have said I think it is a personal preference. I built benches that were the right size for me when sitting in a chair. No need for risers for me. If you had a low bench or wanted to stand using a standard height counter risers might be nice.

I would think the presses height should be determined by how you place a case into the shell holder. I have mine setup so it is slightly lower then my elbow so I am not reaching up at an odd angle to feed the press.

The press mounting set I think is cool is when they have the bench top cut with a tapered dovetail section to make swapping presses into the same location as easy as a single bolt.

shown here in its simplest form:

bench2.jpg

another variation using an over lapping section

RSbench_022607D.jpg

I load standing, and at a towering 5' 8", a 36" high bench put the press too low. I built 9" mounts out of 13 ply baltic birch, figuring they wouldn't last, but would at least let me get a feel. 100s & 100s of rounds later and they're holding up strong.

mount.jpg

mount.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top