JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Keep an open mind...

The Japanese adopt adult males to carry on the family buisness if they do not have children or thier children do not want to run the buisness as I understand it.

Now I know a bunch of you with small fortunes in firearms and took the time to accumulate nice collections don't want to see your treasures actioned off when you pass away, so I'm offering a solution; You could adopt me!

You would have a perma shooting partner and someone to teach all you have learned.

Not really searious obviously (unless you are, then I could be;)), but food for thought. :p:D

Keep an open mind...

The Japanese adopt adult males to carry on the family buisness if they do not have children or thier children do not want to run the buisness as I understand it.

Now I know a bunch of you with small fortunes in firearms and took the time to accumulate nice collections don't want to see your treasures actioned off when you pass away, so I'm offering a solution; You could adopt me!

You would have a perma shooting partner and someone to teach all you have learned.

Not really searious obviously (unless you are, then I could be;)), but food for thought. :p:D

I would like to throw my name into the hat of suitable adoptees.

Admit it.

You have always wanted a red headed step child. You know you do.

Keep an open mind...

Two words :D HELL NO!:p

I have enough issues without you.......

I was gifted a Thomson M1A1 and a suppressed Mac 11, but I had to share them with another family member who just happens to live in Chicago, so needless to say he's out of luck ever taking them home.

In spite of the light-hearted nature of this thread, there's a serious side, too.

My kids were raised around guns, and are very capable shooters. Many guns I've bought just so my kids would get them. But as adults they have zero interest in my guns, hunting, or shooting. I always expected they'd want to inherit my guns...Heck, I'd give many of them to them now....But since the lack of interest, I've been liquidating some of my more collectible guns while I still have control over the process.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
If anyone is seriously worried about this, consider donating them to a gun club with a youth shooting program. I know Canby Rod and Run has a youth shooting program, but I think currently it's listed too shotguns. Other clubs may have something similar.

In spite of the light-hearted nature of this thread, there's a serious side, too.

My kids were raised around guns, and are very capable shooters. Many guns I've bought just so my kids would get them. But as adults they have zero interest in my guns, hunting, or shooting. I always expected they'd want to inherit my guns...Heck, I'd give many of them to them now....But since the lack of interest, I've been liquidating some of my more collectible guns while I still have control over the process.

WAYNO.

Agreed, it was ment to be light hearted - I didn't/don't expect to get taken up on the offer (don't think I won't disown my dad who thinks the world would be better off without guns in a heartbeat if someone's serious about this and starts a conversation).

BUT - My daughter will not even touch a gun and thinks I'm half crazy (all teens/young adults think that about their parents to some extent I think). SO, my Will states that a very old friend of mine will retain custody of my firearms until such time as my future grandchildren will get them.

I may not have near the financial investment of a lot of folks but I also know I have more then the average person - and I love and cherish every single gun I own as an individual. It's heartbreaking to look at them and pull something out of the safe to try and make ends meet sometimes.

Case in point, I have a trashed 12ga bolt marlin goose gun that I bought cheap because "after grandad died, we tossed all his stuff in a pickup and got into a wreck on the freeway and all of his rifles were badly damaged and strewn all over the freeway shoulder...", I bet that old dead guy was rolling in his grave when that happened. All his hunting rifles, collectibles etc.

I'd rather someone who will appreciate them get them then sell it and hand my daughter a check that will be gone and forgotten in a year.

Again, mostly food for thought but also a serious topic/offer.

I had a conversation with my father in law recently. I was unaware that I had unintentionally offended him a while back when he offered to leave me his guns after he passes away. Since he's my wife's father, I felt it was more in line for him to leave the guns to his male grandchildren that had an interest. That actually made him mad, which I learned much later from my wife. Since I'm married into the family, I didn't necessarily feel I was the right one to receive them.

So, we were sitting down again a few months ago to go over some will items and the topic came up again, this time with more information. It turns out he was interested in leaving them to his grandchildren, but he knew they would most likely just sell them for the money. He wants the guns kept in the family. And I'm the only person in the family with an appreciation for guns and a safe. He asked again, differently, if I would receive the guns and hold them on behalf of the family - he wants the guns to stay in the family and he trusts me (and my wife, though she's not as interested in the guns) to be the ones that would fulfill that wish.

It is a bit odd to deal with handing guns down. My father got rid of almost all his guns, I'll get one or two, my brother and sister will get one or two as well, but it's not much.

I'm hoping my daughter will show some interest because there are several that I would like to leave to her. If her excitement about shooting airsoft with me is any indication, I may just have a pro-gun girl in the family. I would be very pleased if that were the case.

WAYNO.
While my son and daughter would gladly fight to the death to inherit y firearms (both avid shooters with military backgrounds) We had us a family meeting and asked what do the kids want and what do they have little interest in. Since I have a number of hobbies I have quite a bit of stuff to leave to someone. Since neither of them are interested a lot of my stuff I am in the slow process of selling off from one hobby and investing more in the others. This way I still have toys to play with but in the end there will be less burden on the wife or kids as the stuff I am leaving they actually want to own instead of having to figure out how to realize the value of stuff they aren't interested in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top