JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We had a seven year old female Border/Blue Heeler mix (Sasha) and want to get a second dog. We want to make sure that Sasha gets along with the new pup and doesn't feel jealous and hopefully maternal as opposed to threatened. Sasha is very needy when it comes to my wife and gets separation anxiety when she leaves. Any advice on how to find a pup she will accept? Breed, sex, etc., how to get them integrated? Sasha does have other dogs she gets along with, but did get in a dominance situation when we tried an adult rescue dog a few years ago. Just not completely sure how she will react to a new permanent addition to the family.

I've never had more than one dog at a time so this is new territory. Just want to make sure we do this right.

We always train the new one with the old one. We do 1 hour training. The older one was trained the same and should fall back to it, and having the older one usually makes training easier. IE monkey see monkey do.

1 hour in the (kennel, cage, kitchen, whatever as long as it's big enough for the two) isolated with each other. Take out and the go outside for potty. If they go (really only the new one needs to) 1 hour of play and access to food and water. Then back in together. The time alone forces the two to bond, the older takes on a caregiver type vibe usually after a while, it's hard to explain. The time out creates time together with you and your wife, however they are always together.

Coach the older one if it gets rough with the new one.

I don't think breed really matters. Nor sex.

I've always had two dogs as an adult and growing up. Never had any issues with the new one or old one not getting along.

We always have dogs in pairs and always had one who was older when the new arrived. We had trouble with a couple of them with the male in my Avatar. He would want to get territorial and bite the newcomer both times. So we would have the new one in a pen so they could interact safely. Did not take long and he at first tolerated the new and went from there to playing with the new as part of the family. The females all have been far easier. They would be standoffish at first to the new but did not take any time till they were playing together. When we got the male in the pic we had a female who was a couple years old he was 8 weeks. Soon she was like a puppy again with him. Playing for hours on end and having a ton of fun with each other and she was so gentle with him when she was 5 times his size. We raises a couple dogs for other family members from puppies and it was always him that was the one to watch at first. With some separated time they would soon be playing with him too.

Dogs are just like Humans, some have issues with siblings, and others don't, a puppy will quickly change behaviours in your existing doggy, she will almost instinctively take to that pup, and all will be great, if not, the pup will have to learn to deal with it on its own terms!

I always recommend a Labrador Retriever as the top choice, labs are super easy to train and they get along with other breeds with ease, rarely ever having any issues! Golden Retrievers are even better, but they have gotten super expensive lately, and will have some additional health concerns you should be aware of, out side of that, the Goldens are super easy to train, absolutely awesome with kids and other pets, and make excellent watch dogs if encouraged to do it! Cannot go wrong with any Retriever! Message me if you want more info/details!

Then there are the Newfies,
Awesome breed, about the gentlest breed there ever was, gets along with all animals and super around very small children, easy to train, and an awesome security dog. They are humngous, and incredibly strong, so their size might be a challenge, but once you are owned by one, no other will ever equal them!

Hope this helps!

Last Edited:
A puppy named Bailey (neigh Lilly) followed us home on Sunday. She's 1/2 Pitt, 1/4 husky and 1/4 Rottie. She's beautiful and sweet but has the usual combination of needle sharp puppy teeth and claws. We changed her name to Baily because it just suits her personality. Not what I expected to get, but she is going to work out.

Our adult Border/Blue, Sasha, and Bella the cat are still adjusting. It's neat to see Sasha take on the role of showing Bailey the rules, though there have been a few rough spots mostly about designating this food bowl is MINE and your food bowl is MY other one. We already caught them curled up together sleeping.

Bella on the other hand is NOT AMUSED. She periodically gives us the look that says "Yours is coming. It might not happen, today, tomorrow, this week, or this month, but it WILL happen. And he name is Cujo, not Bailey".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top