JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think most people are familiar with adopt-a-road programs. Do you think a similar type of effort could be applied to our public forest lands?

I have been doing work in forest near my cabin but there are many millions of acres that are looking for somebody to take care of them.

It won't work, unless it is beneficial and makes a profit for someone to take care of the forest, the effort will not scale well. It'll have to rely on a small portion of the population who have the spare time, money and interest to take care of an acre of the forest.

If I am in charge, I will lease these lands to hunting clubs or shooting ranges. Hunters and shooters, by and large, I've found to be the most informed of land management and for a low nominal fee, I'll let them run those acres on the condition that they enforce State and Federal rules such as dumping and illegal logging/camping/hunting. Plus these folks all have guns so most bozos will not want to mess with them. :)

So what do you think? A vote me and there'll be land for thee! :D

I doubt that most people that would be interested, even have the capability to find the coordinates for a specific acre in a forest. I think that the people that would like to take care of an acre, probably already pick up garbage if they come across it.

Here is one group who had a similar vision minus the blood, sweat and tears of doing any actual physical work to restore the forest: https://oregonwild.org/about/take-action/adopt-wilderness

I think I will just continue on taking care of my little slice down south. I am going to change my strategy and start focusing on individual trees instead of areas. I can cover a lot more ground that way and hopefully if a wildfire does move through the forest there, the best trees of the bunch will have a better chance at making it through. That strategy will hopefully make for less slash piles too.

Edit: Maybe my critter condos (slash piles) are useful after all:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top