Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

adjusting fixed sights?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by plumberfishes, Aug 1, 2011.

1. plumberfishes

plumberfishes Gresham oregon Active Member

i hve a taurus .357 titanium, and it shoots hi.. the problem is it is a rear frame notch sight, with the standard blade front... now they all hit/grouped well, but almost 2.5 inches high at 15ish yards now i won't do alot of long distance shooting with it, but i expect my guns to be onand the misses to be my fault... how do you fix this?

2. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Are you shooting from a bench, or better yet from a gun vice or at least a sand bag? Do other people have the same results with your gun? How many different kinds of ammo did you try? How much experience do you have?

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The local gun shop had a guy come in like this.They asked if they could take it out and shoot it.
    They came back with the center punched out of the target

Have some one you know is close to expert shoot it before you adjust much.

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Taller front sight. Try a different load, different loads well have a different POI. Most fixed sight revolvers have the front blade height set for 25yds or more, some as high as 75yds.

If you are shooting low you can file the blade lower. Adding height is more problematic. Just shoot the gun enough at different ranges to learn the POI vs POA then use Kentucky windage.

5. mhadix

mhadix Tacoma,WA Member

Try crimson trace grips.

6. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

If there's enough 'meat' on the front blade you could have a smith work a dovetail into it and use any number of inserts to get the height you would like.

7. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

IS it off based on holding directly on the target or based on the 6 O'Clock position. MAny guns are set up on the 6 O'Clock position which would put it high at dead on. I thoght I had a problem and it corrected once I used the 6 oclock position

8. plumberfishes

plumberfishes Gresham oregon Active Member

it is based off of holding the front sights flat, a post even with the top of the notch, off of a bag... i am a decent shot. i ususally group 2" at 50 yards with my smith, and about the same with my 1911, i shot my new glock, and it was perfect, but this gun shoot high,, tits why are you here?