JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys,

In September my wife and I and my dad and possibly a couple other friends are doing a week hiking/ fishing trip in the absaroka bear tooth wilderness area in Montana.
I called the ranger station for that area and they said yes defiantly, pack guns and keep your food away from you whenever possible.

I have a S&W M&P .357 sig
That I'm going to get the baddest self defense rounds on the market for that I'll have my wife carry.

my dad has a 1911 in .45 ACP that he'll get Self defense round for

And I'll get either a 1911 as well
Or possibly a 44 mag if they're adequate for the job...

I'll be the only one purchasing a gun for this trip so the only gun I have without a doubt ruled out is the s&w .500..

Reason being is I've shot one before and it just plain hurts to shoot it and it had an 8" barrel...

So preferably nothing bigger then say a 460 but I honestly will not use it for anything other the. This trip so it seems like a waist of money to buy a huge handgun I'll rarely use..

I recommend and carry a S&W 329. Its light weight 4" revolver in .44 mag. Its has a titainium cylinder and scandium frame. I carry it in a fannypack, and also just got the Guide's Chest Holster from Diamond D in Alaska for it. Also purchased a S&W X-frame (SW 500) houge grip from S&W which really helps recoil and fits the 329 perfectly.
Barney

OP are you to be backpacking? Your post didn't really verify this.

If your backpacking go with the 10mm and some good hard cast lead rounds. 180 grains or more and at at least 1200fps.

Also get a drop leg holster. I run a Bravo Concealment Kydex holster on a home made Velcro drop leg. It is out of the way from my hip harness on my pack and doesn't interfere with my pack at all. I carry shower caps with me to throw on it of it's coming down hard enough.

If your ATV or some sort of vehicle camping. Shotgun shotgun shotgun. Its that or a big lead slinging rifle like a 45-70. Of coarse being on or in a vehicle allows for much easier carrying capabilities.

It's almost as important to get a good carrying rig as it is a capable firearm. Hip OWB holsters and hiking packs don't mix well comfortable. Some framed packs are better suit for long gun carry than pistol. A rifle can be sheathed easier on the backpack than a pistol on your hip.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

The OP was asking about handgun carry in bear country, not rifle, or shotgun carry. I do not carry a rifle, or shotgun when I go up into 'Bear country'. I carry a .44 magnum pistol, or revolver. I wonder if a dick made up the 'Curley Moe' carry. Mebs.
In post #82, the op said he got a rifle.

Black bears for the most part don't like people and will leave the area. Exception, you are between momma bear and cub, this is a " you are now screwed case" your first shot may be less possibly be less then 25 yards and head on. Exception two, you managed to corner a bear and not know it. You will be facing a raging bear head on, again less then 25 yards. How fast can you draw and fire at a bear approching you at 25 to 30 mph??
A hungry Griz?? They have been known to hunt the hunter, fresh meat is fresh meat to a griz. And no you will not know they are around until they are in your face.
So what is the reason for packing alot of rounds when you will only have time for 2 to 3 shots.
Bears have very thick skulls and very thick hair and hides. Solid bullets are whats needed to penatrate deep enough to do any damage.
If you hike any where west of the cascades you are in black bear and cougar country. Haven't seen any?? Start looking where you put your feet. And learn what bear and cougar tracks look like. That big pile of poop? Thats where a bear sh*t in the woods.

I carry a S&W .44 mag with keth swc in a shoulder holster. Respectable recoil, helacious muzzle blast. Used to carry a Colt .357, also loaded with Keth 158 gr swc. Felt like I was taking a knife to a gun fight but is what I had at the time.

You don't need to go crazy if you're not heading into polar bear or Kodiak country, so get what works in your existing firearms:
<broken link removed>
Kinetic energy is a state variable and a conserved quantity, but guess what, momentum is too. For pure penetration, maximize the momentum of a flat-nose slug.

got to remember, specially in the NE part of the state, there are wolves as well. Personally if I have to carry a semi auto, its going to be a G20 with 220 gr hard cast cartridges.

Charles Gibbs certainly was armed, they found his revolver next to his camera. A few others in the list as well Don Peters, Ken Cates. Cates appears to have gotten off a few shots. Other attacks on the list don't mention firearms, although one person tried self-defense with a Swiss Army Knife.

goes to show even if your armed, you could end up bear poop. I saw a intresting video of someone trying to hit a target moving at 35 mph and even with a experienced shooter, there were hardly any hits.. and I do believe the target was a trashcan.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top