JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
everything-is-true-16.jpg

Karamojo Bell would just saw down his 7mm. lol
Just get that short Ruger .44.
There is no question that the flat nosers will penetrate deepest and straightest but I'd use a Keith type semi-wadcutter as it has a big old flat nose but also a full caliber shoulder that will actually cut and crush a much larger permanent path than a "flat nose". They'll pretty much go through any animal too, stem to stern.
Make sure to load them to the tippy top of the charts and learn to shoot and count to six.

300px-Keith-Style-45-SWC.JPG

357 sig??? you gots to be kidding Bear spray and something that shoots big heavy bullets so after you shoot the bear it will still attack and kill you then die. Things sometime take too long to die.

A .357 sig is essentially a +P+ 9mm Luger.. I've got some pet 9mm loads that use heavy SWC's that do chop meat and bone good but for big bear, uh no.

And as for your Father, Paco Kelly has a pet load for the .45acp that might be considered.. it pushes a 250 grain Keith slug to like 1000 or maybe it's considerably faster, I forget.. use heavy springs and don't shoot many of them is what I'd suggest.
Good luck.

12g shotgun and 45-70 marlin guide gun are my first two choices when the thought of going to battle with a Bear pops into my mind. I just never really seem to visualize Bear fighting with anything other than a rifle or shotgun.

ymmv

For such a long hike over rough terrain, a 4" or even a 3" S&W 29/629 .44 Magnum makes allot of sense. Ruger also made a 4" Redhawk and there are a few new and used ones available on gunbroker right now. Ruger is not currently producing any Redhawks so if you need one I would jump on one of these as you typically don't see the 4" models as often.

In any case I would suggest loading up with hard-cast "Hammerheads" from Garrett Cartridges Inc. They are a well known, proven round for bears and I don't think anyone has done more research on handgun bear loads than Garrett. Not inexpensive but when your life is on the line it's a small price to pay. http://www.garrettcartridges.com/about.html

To give you an idea of the recoil, Hickok45 has done a couple videos where he shot the 310 gr. Hammerheads out of his 3" and 4" S&W 629s. It's much less than you would expect. The Ruger Redhawk could also handle Garrett's hotter 330 gr. load, although recoil would be greater since it is a heavier bullet and travelling faster than either of his .310 gr. loads. Keep in mind Hickok45 is 6'7" and has huge hands.

For some reason it left off the video links, let's try this again-

Hmmmm.....didn't work either. I will do this, just look for his youtube video on these 2 below if you want to se the recoil.
1. 44 Magnum 629 4-inch (Chapter 2)
2. 44 Magnum 629 Trail Boss

Last Edited:
That Hickock45 fellow reloads and loads the .44 magnum of course.. the real difference between a old school common .44 magnum reload (which he loads) and a "boutique" round is about a thousand percent markup. and then they actually suck

Dang I drive by there about every day and never even noticed the store.. even after hearing about it and going to that uniform place a month ago. arrhg! but now I know exactly where it is (google).. thanks
still get a .44

I don't have a big handgun any more.. I've taken big game with a .44 magnum revolver. Love them. Were I to go to bear lands, and I've lived in Montana for a piece, I probably wouldn't.. I take that back.. I'd probably buy another .44 but would still go out with whatever I had/have. not really a big deal

Whatever you use, you'll still have to hit it in the brain or spine.. hopefully what you're using can break shoulder/s.
Robert Ruark used a Hi-Power (9mm) for "finishing" shots on stunned elephant while culling. You still have to hit what matters whatever you're using.. but being able to break important bones is a definite plus.

I certainly didn't intend to shut this thread down or seem to be the be all, end all of whatever. Even though this subject is classic, I enjoy the discussion/various philosophies regarding same.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top