JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here in Whatcom County, Washington State, the Sheriff's office has been closed for months, prohibiting the ability to obtain a CCW and thus the legal concealed carry of a firearm in Washington State.

Of course this represents how the requirement of such nonsense is a violation of the 2nd amendment. Regardless, is anyone aware of any lawsuit filed against Whatcom County or Washington State to address this insanity?

There was a ruling on the east coast just last week directly addressing this issue (and forcing the state to resume CCW processing): Federal court rules that gov's executive order suspending firearms applications violates 2nd amendment

Is anyone aware of a similar lawsuit or action taking place in Washington State or Whatcom county?

Thanks!

no action was taken by SAF, although it was discussed at length. the harm would be self remedied before the case was heard. Many agencies are now doing them by appointment. Lean on your county councilors to open up.

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, Bellingham is insane with stupidity, and the government officials are doing everything they can to take advantage of the COVID Hoax, which includes an agenda to prevent people from obtaining their CCWs. The point for "talking" to county officials has passed. Action needs to be taken. Are there any organizations I can reach out to who specialize in taking legal action against Whatcom County and the Sheriff's Office?

No additional thoughts or feedback on fighting this issue? Every citizen in Washington State had their 2nd amendment constitutional rights stripped from them (for more than 90 days now) and are unable to carry a concealed weapon on them or in their vehicle because of this... and nobody is doing anything about it?

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, Bellingham is insane with stupidity, and the government officials are doing everything they can to take advantage of the COVID Hoax, which includes an agenda to prevent people from obtaining their CCWs. The point for "talking" to county officials has passed. Action needs to be taken. Are there any organizations I can reach out to who specialize in taking legal action against Whatcom County and the Sheriff's Office?

You would be taking an after action! Which is great, I would gladly donate I think you will have a tough time as open carry is still available to you, therefore not denying your 2nd amendment right. They will be opening their office back up in phase 3. If we continue on the timeline that should be 2 weeks.

While open carry is an option, the (unconstitutional) law prohibits us from carrying a loaded weapon in our car without a CCW (which is absurd since a vehicle is our private property). Also, the inability to lawfully carry concealed opens the door to harassment and other issues (especially here in Bellingham).

Regardless, I don't have the legal experience or finances to hire a lawyer to take action, so it would take a group or organization with experience in this area - and I would support it 100% (I could donate as well, I just couldn't fit the entire legal bill). Ultimately, the governor had no constitutional authority to shut down the state in the first place, and his BS "phases" are made-up garbage we all should be giving the finger. I'm certainly not waiting for the table scraps from a villain; he needs to be removed from the table and the shutdown of the Sheriff (which was intentionally done to stop the CCW process BTW since they are open for other things) ensures citizens cannot fully exercise their 2nd amendment rights. This was all executed with an evil mind and an evil hand.

That needs to be addressed; even if things open up again per their made-up unlawful rules, the Sheriff (and governor) has to be held accountable for what they did.

This brings us to the original question - are there any groups or organizations in Washington that specialize in taking this sort of action I could reach out to directly?

While open carry is an option, the (unconstitutional) law prohibits us from carrying a loaded weapon in our car without a CCW (which is absurd since a vehicle is our private property). Also, the inability to lawfully carry concealed opens the door to harassment and other issues (especially here in Bellingham).

Regardless, I don't have the legal experience or finances to hire a lawyer to take action, so it would take a group or organization with experience in this area - and I would support it 100% (I could donate as well, I just couldn't fit the entire legal bill). Ultimately, the governor had no constitutional authority to shut down the state in the first place, and his BS "phases" are made-up garbage we all should be giving the finger. I'm certainly not waiting for the table scraps from a villain; he needs to be removed from the table and the shutdown of the Sheriff (which was intentionally done to stop the CCW process BTW since they are open for other things) ensures citizens cannot fully exercise their 2nd amendment rights. This was all executed with an evil mind and an evil hand.

That needs to be addressed; even if things open up again per their made-up unlawful rules, the Sheriff (and governor) has to be held accountable for what they did.

This brings us to the original question - are there any groups or organizations in Washington that specialize in taking this sort of action I could reach out to directly?

As Sporting Systems highlighted earlier, The Second Amendment foundation was looking at a lawsuit against Whatcom Co. and the City of Bellingham. I was not part of the closed door session as I'm sure Dan probably was. He articulated a good point. Yes it's BS and we all know it, yet we get to fight our own money with (wait for it) yes our own money! There is only so much money to go around. We have split our causes so many times and it bites us in the bubblegum every time. If you want to donate to a cause send Dan from Sporting Systems some money for his lawsuit against 1639. How we hold the governor accountable is at the ballot box. He is up for re-election this Nov. get involved and/or donate to one of the 4 very qualified Republican candidates that will be running against him. Only one will be after the primary! (Sorry had to throw that in for qualification.) The Sheriff is done after this term from what I hear, so there is no holding him accountable other than a recall. I'm not going there! He still needs to maintain a delicate balance in Whatcom Co. we are not even able to hold a majority on the county council. (Thanks 14k republican voters that didn't vote in the last election!!!) I do not know whether the decision to keep the office closed was made by the council or the sheriff. We have to look ahead to the next Sheriff we get. Meaning Bill Elfo has done a good job staying bi-partisan for his career as sheriff I'm more than little frustrated that his office has conducted themselves this way. These are great questions for future candidates for elected positions. Renewal of CPL is still being done online. But that doesn't help you at the moment. I think you are stuck for a couple weeks.

@flydipper thank you for the intelligent and detailed response. My concern is we've already waited months, and there's no real indication the service will reopen in two weeks (or even a month). I certainly have no trust in the individuals or made-up nonsense all linked to this issue. Do you know if there a defined breaking point where action will be taken? If nothing changes a month from now, for example? Also, who is Dan and do you have links you can share so I can research this organization you're referring to? Thanks!

@flydipper thank you for the intelligent and detailed response. My concern is we've already waited months, and there's no real indication the service will reopen in two weeks (or even a month). I certainly have no trust in the individuals or made-up nonsense all linked to this issue. Do you know if there a defined breaking point where action will be taken? If nothing changes a month from now, for example? Also, who is Dan and do you have links you can share so I can research this organization you're referring to? Thanks!

You have a very valid concern, it may very well come down to a threat of being sued to get them to open the doors. I am familiar with the foyer area where the CPL application window is and it would take little effort to contain it to 5 or less or even by appointment to adhere to phase 2. I do not know if there is a breaking point for Whatcom Co. as far as getting the lawyers involved. I have some back door channels to pursue and now that I am aware that there is a problem I will definitely pursue them.
Dan is the owner of a gun shop in Vancouver, Wa. named Sporting Systems. He is very very active in defending our 2A rights. He is the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit against AG Ferguson with regard to I-1639. If you look back to the second post in this thread, that is him and you can see his contact info there as well.

On the bright side, if the CHAZ-manian devils get their way and bring about the end of qualified immunity, you will be free to bring suit against any individual government employees you feel infringed upon your civil rights like the sherriff, mayor, city council, governor, AG et al...

Enjoy the unintended consequences, Utopiods!

Evening @flydipper ! So they did it again: "Fingerprinting services are currently suspended until 7/7/20 or further notice."

My suggestion is to communicate with them by email addressing your concerns, if you can get them to reply then forward that information to the Second Amendment Foundation, if they are willing to proceed then you will be asked to be the lead plaintiff. It would help if you could find others who have been affected to join the suit. Let us know if you decide to move forward and I will be the first to donate to the cause! It may only require a letter from their attorney's office to get things opened back up. Keep us updated!

there's no real indication the service will reopen in two weeks (or even a month)
"Fingerprinting services are currently suspended until 7/7/20 or further notice."

The phased opening up process was based on the idea that the virus thing would be winding down earlier than it now appears to be doing. Whether you think the virus is bogus in another issue, but stats show cases increasing, not decreasing. So the initial impression that things would be opened up sooner looks like a fond (but unrealized) memory. This may also throw mud on the idea that the problem would be self-remedied before a lawsuit case could be heard.

I liken the virus to freezing weather. When we have it, it never seems to go away when the weather people say it will. It often lingers longer.

As the later phases do kick in, don't expect instant opening up. The Sno. Co. solid waste recycling activity was supposed to open up on June 5. Their website says they are still working on it. Getting set up again, getting people back in to work, scheduling transportation that has been absent for months, etc.

@gmerkt and @flydipper , when I was reviewing the RCW and Constitution for Washington this morning, I noticed Section 24 of the WA Constitution says:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

There is no question of any kind what the Sheriff is doing is impairing the right.

I'll reach out and let you know the response.

@gmerkt and @flydipper , when I was reviewing the RCW and Constitution for Washington this morning, I noticed Section 24 of the WA Constitution says:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

There is no question of any kind what the Sheriff is doing is impairing the right.

I'll reach out and let you know the response.

Not to be a wet blanket, but we are an open carry state. I think that the issue in the Hawaii case that's still pending, is that you can't OC and they never give a concealed carry license. I would guess that a court would say that Section 24 is not impaired because even if you can't get a CPL, you are still free to carry a gun. It may not be the method you want, but nothing is stopping you from legal carry.

Not saying it's right -- just pointing out the most likely way you lose.

awshoot,

It sounds like what we have in Texas: If you don't have a License To Carry, you can at least carry in your vehicle (under 'The Motorist Protection Act') as long as it's concealed, but not on your body. And you're not a felon or gang member.

Oh, it can be loaded within your reach.

Not to be a wet blanket, but we are an open carry state. I think that the issue in the Hawaii case that's still pending, is that you can't OC and they never give a concealed carry license. I would guess that a court would say that Section 24 is not impaired because even if you can't get a CPL, you are still free to carry a gun. It may not be the method you want, but nothing is stopping you from legal carry.

Not saying it's right -- just pointing out the most likely way you lose.

This is my position as well!

We have CPL in wa. I'm aware of what the law says. Not sure what more you're looking for here. Call an attorney and start your lawsuit! Put a mag on your belt and your empty open carry and make ready if you get in a bad situation.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top