JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a member of the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP), I do not have a physical address listed on any of my state documents (CHL, driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration, etc.). Absolutely everything goes through a state PO box, and I have an official little membership card they gave me.

Here's the issue: I was denied purchase of a firearm by a major retailer because they "need a physical address" and state-issued proof to back it up. Utility bills won't cut it.

How screwed am I? I have nothing with a physical address, and won't for a long time. I've done private transactions before without issue, but am bummed it seems I can't purchase new guns.

Not familiar with said program, other than LE.

That said, if you have bought person to person thru an FFL, and/or in person from an FFL directly, seems simple enough to just have an FFL you've dealt with before order whatever is you want for you.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Private party only for now. I like to pay cash, so paying online and having it shipped isn't something I'm thrilled about.

You gotta get some type of letter from the government on some letter head saying that you have a physical address that is different. I seen this from AG and Judges quite frequently. They get denied and laugh about it, then come back with a letter from someone within the government stating that they're part of this confidential address thing.

My bank doesn't need to know what I buy, though.

I *do* already have an official card from the state with a phone# people can call if they have questions. Showed it to the store, but it was still a "hard no".

Purchase online, if you can find what you're looking for and contact a private ffl to receive your item. The big retailers have their own policies that are separate from state law and are primarily to avoid legal liability. Bimart won't sell you a firearm with an out of state license or sometimes even a passport despite the fact that it's perfectly legal to do do provided the buyer shows proof of residence in oregon.

I suggest contacting a local ffl licensed individual to help you. You can find a list of all local licensees and their contact through the ATF website. Knowing a private FFL can pay off in other ways too, like exclusive deals, etc...

Public officials are not part of the ACP. They use Work-In-Lieu addresses which are completely different. So the judges and police are in a totally different ballpark.

No matter how you purchase, you will need an FFL and a background check..... don't these BOTH require an accurate physical address???

Last Edited:
BUT, But, but.....you do know why......they need a real physical address?

form-4473.png

Aloha, Mark

If your "physical address" the PO box is the only address listed on your DL and CHL then that is your "physical address" no other average person would be able to obtain both of those without a real physical address shown. This mean the DMV sees it as your address and no other which would make it acceptable for the 4473. BGC will not allow any other physical address other than the one DMV has on record as such. FFL would probably make copies of both to throw into into the 4473 record in case of an audit. Should be as simple as that. As others have said I would probably move on to a smaller local dealer. Let them know up front before starting 4473 what the situation is.

I have both a physical address and a commercial PO Box.

For many things I do not list the PO Box as POB# or PO Box or anything like that - I just say 123 ABC Street #123 which could be a suite or apartment number (most interpret it as an apartment number).

Today, many online commerce site automatically check the address to at least get the expanded zip code, and when they do so they also often get the type of address - i.e., is it a residence, commercial, PO Box or what, as some retailers won't deliver certain things to a non-residential address, and other things they won't deliver to a residence.

If you don't include the PO Box designator before the number, how are most LGSs to know?

Of course, if the ID says PO Box then...

But I have, until September of last year, had an ODL with no address at all on it - the temp sticker DMV sent me - the address printing wore off. I used my car registration as proof of address and that worked with every FFL I went to, including Tigard Pawn 4 More who has been very anal about such things.

Maybe this is helpful - maybe not.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads