JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I have already answered the question, but I also wanted outside input. I recently found myself with an extra lower and considering getting 1-3 uppers.

I currently have the following AR's:
16" M4 style
20" A2
24" Varminter "Target" gun
Suppressed 9mm with dedicated Glock lower
.308 Savage MSR with proprietary upper/lower
7.5" pistol with standard lower
.300 Whisper with standard lower
.22 with dedicated upper and standard lower
Complete standard lower

Looking at current politics I could possibly see needing to outfit a few others if things go really bad. I have plenty of mags/ammo for 5.56.

Should I just pick up a couple of inexpensive 16" A2 upppers to be able to throw on the .300, and blank lowers? Is there another option I should be considering? Is there another good caliber that I should consider that is common with common mags?

The only issue I would see, just like the .300 is the price and availability of ammo/components.
300 Whisper = 300 ACC BLK

Magazines are cheap.The bolt carrier group is what I consider when going to a new caliber unless you're comfortable with replacing the bolt. 458 Socom requires a larger ejection port (450 BM also). Ammo is also expensive.

A barrel change from 223/556 would be 350 Legend.
BCG, barrel, mag change: 6.5 grendel, 7.62x39, 6mm ARC (all 3 use same bcg, 7.62x39 uses different mags)

300 Whisper = 300 ACC BLK

Basically. Neither of which are nearly as cheap or readily available as many other "common" calibers. In a supply break down it is unlikely that a "neighbor" or even like minded individual would have a large stock of BLK laying around. This would make this gun only good for a short amount of time. Now if it was in 5.56, .308, possibly even 7.62x39 or a pistol caliber finding ammo would be a lot easier.

Magazines are cheap.The bolt carrier group is what I consider when going to a new caliber unless you're comfortable with replacing the bolt. 458 Socom requires a larger ejection port (450 BM also). Ammo is also expensive.

A barrel change from 223/556 would be 350 Legend.
BCG, barrel, mag change: 6.5 grendel, 7.62x39, 6mm ARC (all 3 use same bcg, 7.62x39 uses different mags)

All good points, but this thread is not so much about adding other "cool" calibers, but what makes the most sense if things take a turn for the worse. It is thinking about the future. I have many years of shooting .22 that cost me $8.88/550 because I was thinking ahead.

50 beowolf and 350 legend

The 50 because, well, damn! Ammo is a bit steep, but it's only a five round mag.
350 because, guess what? Ammo is available and it's a potent straight walled cartridge. Suitable for many purposes.

Last Edited:
50 beowolf and 350 legend

The 50 because, well, damn! Ammo is a bit steep, but it's only a five round mag.
350 because, guess what? Ammo is available and it's a potent straight walled cartridge. Suitable for many purposes.

So I just did some looking at these 2.
More so at the .50 because I actually have a ton of bullets I could reload this with. Well you do not want to lose your brass at almost $1/rd. The .350 is $1.50+/loaded round. Ouch. Not something you are going "stack deep", at least not with my wallet.

I am assuming it would be highly unlikely to come across any readily available locally if things turn bad. They do not seem like a common round.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top