JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son has a Ruger 10/22 with the tapered stainless barrel and factory synthetic stock. The trigger group has been upgraded and he loves the way it shoots, but he wants a few extras added if possible.

My son was wondering if i could add a few picatinny rail sections on his rifle.

One to the bottom of the forend for a vertical grip and one on the side of the forend for a sling swivel, so he can install a 3 point sling without using the velcro strap around the barrel and stock.

Is the factory stock forend solid enough to allow the Picatinny Rails to be mounted?

And if it is possible with this stock, what would be some of the better quality picatinny rail sections to use for this purpose?

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank's

M67

Yes you can do any of the above. The bottom one should be no problem but there is not much in the way of stock to hold the side one secure. Any inexpensive rail will work.

You might look into replacing the barrel band with one that has rails or a side sling mount built in, <broken link removed>

Thank you for the link, Nwcid.

I have looked into the ProMag barrel band with picatinny rails and the John Masen barrel band with sling swivels already.

The ProMag barrel band with picatinny rails had mixed reviews and the sling point has square edges instead of rounded ones, I think it will be a little rough on a sling.

The reviews for the John Masen barrel band with sling swivels, was mostly bad.

I have not looked into the Superior Concepts barrel band with Three Rail Mounts. The Superior Concepts barrel band would work since i could attach a swivel of his choice to it.
I will have to check out the reviews on the Superior Concepts barrel band and see what i can find.

I have mounted a 6" aluminum picatinny rail to the bottom of the stock, with stainless steel hardware.
I left the original barrel band in place, and installed a machine screw sling mount, just behind the barrel band, on the side of the stock.

My son loves the vertical grip, and so did my dad. My dad said, this is so nice and easy to use, why don't factory rifles come this way?

I have plenty of room on the picatinny rail, to add a bipod or other accessories, that my son will want.

Now my son wants me to duracoat the rifle and stock.

I have a feeling that when my other kids see my sons rifle, they will want there rifles done as well.

A few simple modifications, make the rifle much more user friendly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top