JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The drug addicts will, naturally, first go to the drugstores and clinics. The alcoholics will ravish the liquor stores. Skid row will move uptown." — How To Survive the H-Bomb and Why (1962), page 80, by Pat Frank.​
"You have drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix, and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They're looking for something to take the edge off of their jones, if you will." — Mayor Ray Nagin following Hurricane Katrina (Friday, September 2, 2005)​
"Never trust a junkie." — Nancy Spungen, Sid & Nancy (1986)​

This is sort of a tangent from this thread. While uncomfortable topic to discuss, being prepared involves thinking about some unpleasant realities. One of the sad facts about the human species is the pervasive nature of drug use and addiction. From the decaying inner cities, to the suburbs, to the rural communities, it is there. Where we are, for example, there is a serious problem with methamphetamine use and it isn't uncommon to see individuals in various states of the horrid chemical. The last time I had fingerprints done for an NFA transfer, I asked the young officer what their biggest crime problem was and he replied without a second's hesitation "drugs."

Have you considered this factor in your preparedness? If you are involved with community preparedness or are a first responder, how have you been trained to deal with this? Are you prepared to evade or apply force to those that are not thinking clearly due to addiction? Has this factor impacted your preps or equipment in any way?

God help us if all those Starbucks shutdown.

LOL! Really! Just got our 42lb coffee order in from Costco last week & allready dipped into it 6lbs...

Not to worry though we have lbs of tea put up as well, it's caffein ... and it'll do, but just not the same...

...ok on topic...

Yeah, addicts will be a concern in the short term. In the longer term alcoholics will be more of the concern, as there are more ways to ferment and enough grain available...

So some serious vetting will be needed if inviting unknowns into ones fold of trust.

It doesn't matter what hordes are going to come around, they will want what we have and don't care what they do to get it.
If it comes down to it I'm sure many will die on either side protecting our families & stuff.

Last Edited:
It doesn't matter what hordes is going to come around, they will want what we have and don't care what they do to get it.
If it comes down to it I'm sure many will die on either side protecting our families & stuff.

Kinda.

A real concern would be organized gangs. The ringleaders wouldn't be addicts likely, but provide the fix until it runs out. The followers would be doing any deploraeable bidding just for the thought of there fix. Brainwashing etc comes into play heavily, akin to "child soldiers" seen in many genocides over history.

On their own, drug addicts desperate for a fix, are a generally scatter-brained bunch but will be easily controlled by their masters to do almost anything. They will be like raiding parties hitting the suburban neighborhoods, then retreating back into the urban hellholes.
Don't forget the greater danger from the local population that's unprepared and have families addicted to food and water..their brains won't be pre-cooked!.. and they live among you.

On their own, drug addicts desperate for a fix, are a generally scatter-brained bunch but will be easily controlled by their masters to do almost anything. They will be like raiding parties hitting the suburban neighborhoods, then retreating back into the urban hellholes.
Don't forget the greater danger from the local population that's unprepared and have families addicted to food and water..their brains won't be pre-cooked!.. and they live among you.

They'll make great Picasos!

Step on my property and you turn from a person into a target...

Doesn't really matter what they want or think they need from me and mine.

Is a sad state of affairs when we have to think of what is to be in uncharted waters. We all need to think long and hard to justify what it will take to survive in any scenario.
Give em HEII!!!

Last Edited:
So now let's put a different twist on the topic. What about medication required for a family member?

Mrs. USMC-03 has asthma for example; life would be far more difficult for her if inhalers are no longer obtainable.

That's why you refill early and ask for more then you need per month - least I do so I can have them in the car, next to the bed, in the kitchen and in my bag.

That's why you refill early and ask for more then you need per month - least I do so I can have them in the car, next to the bed, in the kitchen and in my bag.

I figured that one out the hard way... have seasonal and weather induced asthma and while needing my inhaler I went into a full blown panic attack when I couldn't find mine - damn near passed out from hyperventilating. Honestly scared me half to death so I started asking for extras and refill at every opportunity.

That's certainly desirable but our prescription coverage isn't very flexible for early and extra refills. Just something we need to work around.

Ask the doctor to prescribe more per month, that's what I had to do. Most are understanding if you explain needing them in multiple places just in case. They might be willing unless its a steroid inhaler.

There's that scene in World War Z where the main character hits a pharmacy to get his daughters asthma scrip'...

Start thinking on any alternatives for you & yours...including eastern med. Just to have in case.

Having a good calming technique is extremely handy as well...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top