JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you guys are worrying too much about addicts, I just dont see an issue in a real shtf disaster.

But that comment about TP running out, now thats actually something to talk about... How many here prep TP? What do you use when that runs out?

Things I have used in the event of TP going AWOL:
Wet Wipes
A hunk of a tee shirt
Corn Cob
Broad leaves or grass
Paper from a book

Things not to use:
A hunk of your buddies shirt.:mad: :eek:
Poison Ivy , Oak , Sumac , Stinging Nettles , Devil's Club ... It pays to know yer local plant life.:eek::D
Andy

hard to imagine storing that much TP. Its big and bulky and one person needs a lot.

wet wipes are a very god option, 1 wet wipe does the work of a lot of TP. Easier to store in bulk too.

hard to imagine storing that much TP. Its big and bulky and one person needs a lot.

wet wipes are a very god option, 1 wet wipe does the work of a lot of TP. Easier to store in bulk too.

Wet wipes are also handy for general personal hygiene use when no shower is avaialable, or water is in short supply.

As is rubbing alcohol and paper towels, or in a spritzer/spray with a regular towel.

Keeping clean/good personal hygiene is a decent way to maintain morale, and to stay healthy.

Sponge bath with water, if you have enough to spare, followed by wipes/rubbing alcohol. Does a better job of getting the funk & grime off, than wipes/rubbing alcohol alone.

I hear nicotine turns people into nasty cuss'es as well.:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Nicotine is my major vice that I still cling to after all these years, thankfully for about 80$ I was able to get enough nicotine to keep a handful of people in ecig juice for a couple years. Sadly I think Ecig stuff was the first thing I can actually say we started "prepping" on when we got back in this realm.

For a moment, then it all goes dark.

Natural stuff like Opium will stick around but it actually wouldn't be a bad thing to have during the apocalypse since it will be about the only effective pain killer available

A couple things on this track.
1: Papavar Somniferum (Opium Poppy) seeds are completely legal to posses though cultivation of poppies for human consumption is illegal. Its generally not something that will land you in jail unless you are out there with a buncha hippies and junkies scoring your poppies and collecting the latex. So while I wouldn't start growing poppies now (who knows when or if some fed will put you on the naughty list and try and throw it in on top of other trumped up charges because your one of those scary survivalist militia types) I do think that the seeds are a totally legitimate thing to have in ones preps.

2: Basic lab equipment, very common solvents, and easily made chemicals like sodium hydroxide along with a little know how is all you need to separate out the morphine, codeine and other alkaloids. For a group trying to survive in a long term situation this may be worth knowing how to do. There really isn't a reason to stick with plain Opium when you can take an evenings worth of work to get a much cleaner and easy to administer substance.

walking this all back to the addicts I can see them being able to do #2 and probably even taking it one step further and making diacetylmorphine from it I think they may be a little less likely to engage in #1 (and if they do then I guess they aren't bothering anyone and are no longer an issue). So if someone was trying to barter their Opium/morphine/whatever they would probably be well served in making sure their farm is far away from prying eyes.

I guess I just dont see how any addicts or dealers are going to be busy manufacturing dope in the middle of a SHTF situation if they have no food or water. 4 pages, what am I missing here?

I guess I just dont see how any addicts or dealers are going to be busy manufacturing dope in the middle of a SHTF situation if they have no food or water. 4 pages, what am I missing here?

you are not missing anything, I'm with you. I think it's a non issue. Junkies will be a far smaller problem after a SHTF situation than they are now and personally they are even now a non issue 99.997% of the time

you are not missing anything, I'm with you. I think it's a non issue. Junkies will be a far smaller problem after a SHTF situation than they are now and personally they are even now a non issue 99.997% of the time

They may be a non-issue in your area but not in ours. Grants Pass, and other areas here in the south, has cars robbed and stolen all the time and it is not for joy rides. We had one dumped at the end of our driveway. The money goes directly back to the drug trade. Not to mention all the robberies. There is not a day that goes by that the local police log doesn't mention someone picked up on meth and robberies that have taken place. Our area has had an increase in murders. Drug related, of course.

SHTF scenario goes back to basic economics with supply and demand. Supply is low, producers can't produce and supply chain is broken. Demand for a low supply will raise prices. Therefore, those that are hooked will have to get more money for their drugs.

If the criminal problem is bad now with law enforcement, how would it be without and with them needing more money to get their fix. Also add in that these are not individuals that have their act together for real life, let alone SHTF. They are already okay with breaking the law to get what they want, so why wouldn't they take a prepared person's supplies, by force, to use for themselves or give to their dealer to get a fix?

So in other words, are you taking those that are already lawless and can't get their act together for a day into consideration for your preps?

Sure I store TP.
Giant packs next to my food stores. And in per portion to my food.
Several years ago I was buying 6 cans of hot chilli that I had not tried before and several rolls of TP. I asked the checker if she thought this would be enough TP. She looked kinda confused as she couldnt tell if I was serious or not. ;)

Last Edited:
They may be a non-issue in your area but not in ours. Grants Pass, and other areas here in the south, has cars robbed and stolen all the time and it is not for joy rides. We had one dumped at the end of our driveway. The money goes directly back to the drug trade. Not to mention all the robberies. There is not a day that goes by that the local police log doesn't mention someone picked up on meth and robberies that have taken place. Our area has had an increase in murders. Drug related, of course.

SHTF scenario goes back to basic economics with supply and demand. Supply is low, producers can't produce and supply chain is broken. Demand for a low supply will raise prices. Therefore, those that are hooked will have to get more money for their drugs.

If the criminal problem is bad now with law enforcement, how would it be without and with them needing more money to get their fix. Also add in that these are not individuals that have their act together for real life, let alone SHTF. They are already okay with breaking the law to get what they want, so why wouldn't they take a prepared person's supplies, by force, to use for themselves or give to their dealer to get a fix?

So in other words, are you taking those that are already lawless and can't get their act together for a day into consideration for your preps?

the way I see it, everything thats been talked about in this thread regarding addicts has been about non-disaster times. The drug related crime thats happening in your area now has nothing to do with if a major disaster strikes, the drug trade will be completely shut down instantly. If you and I are actually relying on food preps, so are the addicts. If you and I are actually relying on food preps, there are no roads... which means they can loot all the cars you want they cannot do anything with any stolen goods nobodys gonna trade a laptop for scarce food and water. If you and I are relying on food preps, your job is shut down or destroyed same for the drug dealers. The addicts will be in the same exact position as you and I and any other law abiding citizen.... if they are not prepared with their own preps they will not survive. I don't think there is any person on this forum that is not prepared to defend their preps from any criminal theft, it does not matter if the criminal is an addict or not... but I would be more worried about someone who is not an addict that didn't prep trying to steal my preps or loot my home because they will not have an addiction to withdrawl from cold turkey getting in the way of their nefarious plan.

Im pretty certain this is what Ironmonster is agreeing with me about...

the way I see it, everything thats been talked about in this thread regarding addicts has been about non-disaster times. The drug related crime thats happening in your area now has nothing to do with if a major disaster strikes, the drug trade will be completely shut down instantly. If you and I are actually relying on food preps, so are the addicts. If you and I are actually relying on food preps, there are no roads... which means they can loot all the cars you want they cannot do anything with any stolen goods nobodys gonna trade a laptop for scarce food and water. If you and I are relying on food preps, your job is shut down or destroyed same for the drug dealers. The addicts will be in the same exact position as you and I and any other law abiding citizen.... if they are not prepared with their own preps they will not survive. I don't think there is any person on this forum that is not prepared to defend their preps from any criminal theft, it does not matter if the criminal is an addict or not... but I would be more worried about someone who is not an addict that didn't prep trying to steal my preps or loot my home because they will not have an addiction to withdrawl from cold turkey getting in the way of their nefarious plan.

Im pretty certain this is what Ironmonster is agreeing with me about...

It is.

And still, have they stole your car? No? Then what have you personally suffered?

That's what I mean about affecting me. Sure I hear stuff on the news but as far is having an efffect on my life, it doesn't. My house is secure, a carry I can't spend my life worried about what might happen. I have plenty of actual problems to worry about.

I think in a SHTF situation it would be much the same way.

Well, addicts aside, in a long drawn-out SHTF scenario, I am hosed. I'm a type 1 diabetic, my body doesn't produce insulin, so I have to have it to inject it to live. I can store some extra, but it is highly perishable and requires refrigeration - without refrigeration, it goes bad very quickly. I also use an insulin pump which uses consumable supplies. I do always have some extra insulin on hand, always at least enough for 30 days, as well as syringes in the event I run out of pump supplies, but a long extended drought of insulin would ultimately incapacitate and kill me. I could stretch my insulin a bit, let myself run higher than normal blood sugar, but once I run out, it may only be days before my blood sugar is so high that I go into a coma.

So, part of my prep work in such a situation I to try and find a safe and stable place for my family that gives them a decent shot with or without me there. It's a dark thing to think about, but one that can't be ignored.

As for actual addicts, any plan for them would be the same as any other violent looter I may encounter - end the threat.

I can store some extra, but it is highly perishable and requires refrigeration - without refrigeration, it goes bad very quickly.

I've done some research on how to address keeping medical supplies refrigerated after conventional backup power (e.g., generators, etc.) are out of fuel or otherwise inoperable. Solar panels that feed a battery system which powers a small refrigerator designed to keep medical supplies cold could be the next setup. The <broken link removed> line is just for such an off-grid situation. They aren't inexpensive, but it might just work for a longer term disruption.

I've done some research on how to address keeping medical supplies refrigerated after conventional backup power (e.g., generators, etc.) are out of fuel or otherwise inoperable. Solar panels that feed a battery system which powers a small refrigerator designed to keep medical supplies cold could be the next setup. The <broken link removed> line is just for such an off-grid situation. They aren't inexpensive, but it might just work for a longer term disruption.

I'll have to look into that. Obviously an SHTF during the winter months temporarily solves the problem while creating new ones.

Another issue is how to address this while traveling - say flying somewhere where I can't bring a bunch of stuff with me. Or if we're visiting the coast and the big one hits - we could be cut off from the valley for months, and due to the smaller coastal population, it's likely most aid would go to the bigger population centers like PDX. It all adds up to some difficult situations to prep for.

Well, addicts aside, in a long drawn-out SHTF scenario, I am hosed. I'm a type 1 diabetic, my body doesn't produce insulin, so I have to have it to inject it to live. I can store some extra, but it is highly perishable and requires refrigeration - without refrigeration, it goes bad very quickly. I also use an insulin pump which uses consumable supplies. I do always have some extra insulin on hand, always at least enough for 30 days, as well as syringes in the event I run out of pump supplies, but a long extended drought of insulin would ultimately incapacitate and kill me. I could stretch my insulin a bit, let myself run higher than normal blood sugar, but once I run out, it may only be days before my blood sugar is so high that I go into a coma.

So, part of my prep work in such a situation I to try and find a safe and stable place for my family that gives them a decent shot with or without me there. It's a dark thing to think about, but one that can't be ignored.

As for actual addicts, any plan for them would be the same as any other violent looter I may encounter - end the threat.

Lots of smart, good people in the world. Things can get pretty bad. And you can still make/get insulin.
I thought this was a great story.

I first read about this story in WWII. It was more detailed. But the video is a good introduction to the story.
They said He saved 2-3000 diabetics including his wife. With his home brew. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top