JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Follow Up:

http://patch.com/florida/newportrichey/pro-gun-mom-shot-son-must-take-gun-safety-class

"... will not face criminal charges in the case, but she has been ordered to take a gun safety class as part of a deferred prosecution agreement struck earlier this week.

"... She must also show the state proof of a "new mounted holster, demonstrating safe storage of a firearm in the vehicle" court documents say.

"The state also wants proof that guns are stored safety within the Gilt home,

"She has been ordered to give 10 speeches related to the incident "and the need to safely secure firearms."

She has 90 days to complete these requirements (I assume to start giving safety talks)

"The Putnam County Sheriff's Office recommended Gilt be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor in mid-March. She could face up to 180 days in jail should the delayed prosecution deal fall through."

Now there's a helpful law. :rolleyes:

.45? If it's a 1911, probably cocked and locked. I think that is a bad idea with little ones around. Better to have an empty chamber...

Yep, it was indeed a 1911. The gun used was a custom shop Kimber 1911. The police released this photo of the recovered gun:

article-putnam-0309.jpg
People keep defending 1911's as being a safe gun, but the fact is that the gun's design is now over 100 years old.

Guess that's her CCW down the pan, eh?

She's pulled her Facetwitch page, too.

tac

Actually, anti-gun groups and individuals have had a field day publicizing this accident, and spreading word about it on various online forums and on Facebook. I've seen posts online in a number of places about her accident. They have now put up not one, but two FAKE versions of her page to replace it. Both pages ridicule her badly.

Anti-gun folks are doing their best to let people know about this incident, in order to harm the image of gun owners.

The good news that I can report is that Gilt has recovered well from her gunshot wound, and the local District Attorney allowed her to enter into a deferred prosecution agreement. If she completes community service, taking a gun safety class, and offers proof that she has installed safe gun storage in both her home and her vehicle, charges against her will be permanently dropped.

At least in the small, rural county that she lives in, the DA did not have any agenda to punish her and make an example out of her. Thank goodness for that. Although the punishment in Florida for unsafe gun storage is only a max of 60 days in county jail. It is not considered to be a serious crime, and is only a second degree misdemeanor. So her right to own a gun was never imperiled.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-mom-jamie-lynn-gilt-prosecution-son-shooting-truck/

Other than it being INFERIOR to newer technology. :)

Bolt action rifles based on Mauser design are but one example. The U.S. Constitution another. Seems them thar youngins don't value anything unless it's new.

However, let's take the case of a Glock action... I own several, but there are loads of people that will scream that they are inherently unsafe and therefore, dangerous.

Now, where did I leave that dueling pistol?;)

I'm not old, I'm a classic!!!

Last Edited:
Newer technology means a plastic trigger guard / group on my new made Remington 870.
My 870 from 1964 has a metal trigger guard / group.
The older technology is superior to the newer in this case.
Just saying newer isn't always better.
I am not against change or new designs or technology.
Just don't like the thinking that a old design is bad, unsafe or not viable after a newer one comes along.
Andy

Other than it being INFERIOR to newer technology. :)

I disagree,a 1911 can do anything a newer design can do while have a better trigger than every new handgun design. You simply can't beat a 1911's trigger,even a heavy 1911 trigger pull is better than a glock or similar striker fired guns out of the factory,upgraded nothing even comes close to a fully tuned 1911's trigger that has had a trigger job. Now I won't carry one because they are lower capacity than I like but 7+1 or 8+1 of +P .45 acp is nothing to sneeze at.

If 1911's were as light as glocks,in the same price range,and had the same capacity Glock would have a hard time selling any of their pistols. Not to mention Glocks are much less safe,that trigger safety they have is a joke,at least with a 1911 if you don't have the safety on you still have the grip safety and halfcock safety.

Not to mention Glocks are much less safe,that trigger safety they have is a joke,at least with a 1911 if you don't have the safety on you still have the grip safety and halfcock safety.

Just like I said, eh?

If you are going to criticize Glock and risk starting the same old feuds all over again, at least be educated... Glocks have 3 safety systems too. The trigger safety you don't like, the firing pin safety, and the drop safety. The issue with Glock that earned them a bad rep for awhile was caused by Accidental Discharges due to holsters that did not completely cover the trigger guard. FAIL. Ever see a vid of the 1911 A.D. of an experienced shooter using a Serpa holster? Sh*t happens.

Mind saying what about the Glock trigger safety you term to be a joke?

Last Edited:
Newer technology doesn't always mean superior.
Any design regardless of age or era can be dangerous is misused.
Newer technology can also mean more things to go wrong ...
Andy

Example is the mousetrap.... Old doesn't mean obsolete.. :thumbsup:

This is why it is about 100 percent impossible to have someone accidently shoot you with a pistol that is stored on your person.

Buying a decent holster and keeping your pistol there solves this problem.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top