JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tough to be a Second Amendment activist and promoter, being out there vocal, doing battle and not having control of yer own sidearm...

The damage done to the cause by this one incident wipes out all the good she may have done for the cause. To say nothing of the fact her credibility is destroyed.

She's fortunate to still be alive and that her son is still alive too...

In my best Forrest Gump voice, "Stupid is as stupid does"

So the big question is this - now that she's been shot, will she transform into a gun control advocate? Worked for Gabby and the Spaceman, as well as many others.

Since this was in Florida, don't we get an automatic 'pass' anyway? After all, it is Florida :rolleyes:

Well , you already know the article was biased when you see a headline.
" GUN LOVING MOM "
I also hate this stuff, but ya know what sheeet happens even with best intentions.
Those of us that have kids can tell you sadly we have all already almost lost own own kids to that one moment they dashed in front of a cars and we snatched them from death.
It was obvious unless she is a nut job she didnt leave her kid to play with it.
Stupid yes, a mistake yes and everyone makes them gun owners or not.

Now all that said 99.9 percent of all accidental shootings and discharges happen due to user error. Even some of the best hunters have tripped and fired and maybe just missed bubba with their rifles and you know whom you are o_O. All for using poor discipline.
I tend not to be as hard on her, the reputation and media damage is one thing and that is not her fault that the idiots that buy in and think that all gun owners lets little Johnny play with their hand guns in the car. And its why I think that along with any incidents like that a person should get some formal training to get more muscle and mind memory in to where they put their tools.

Maybe I am just to easy going this morning.......

A loose handgun... in an automobile.
A 4yr old child is able to pick up the gun from the floor (not strapped into a child booster-seat?)... in a moving automobile.
So much fail... I bet her onboard "Blondstar" service was on the fritz, too.
o_O:rolleyes:
Yes but in her defense I bet she was distracted by her cell phone.:rolleyes:

But under Florida law, "it a misdemeanor for a person to store or leave, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm in such a manner that it is likely a child can gain access to the firearm."

Now there's a helpful law. :rolleyes:

.45? If it's a 1911, probably cocked and locked. I think that is a bad idea with little ones around. Better to have an empty chamber...

As to her goof, yes people make mistakes. Not a good plan to set your personal policies on never making one...

My 4yr old can get her seat belt off no problem, she's pretty darn sneaky too. I don't carry with a round in the chamber, not because I am careless but because I have experienced real life. Real life will throw a situation at you, a crisis, an emergency on the side of the road etc that will distract you just enough to forget that one time and that's it. We're all human we all do it so be vigilant for yourself and if you have kiddos be cautious with their level of curiosity and understanding in mind. If you love guns they will know it and want touch it, it's biology.

Whole different story with kids vs no kids or grown kids.

My advice for safety on the two situations are completely different.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a "insert thing here" activist...:rolleyes:

My 4yr old can get her seat belt off no problem, she's pretty darn sneaky too. I don't carry with a round in the chamber, not because I am careless but because I have experienced real life. Real life will throw a situation at you, a crisis, an emergency on the side of the road etc that will distract you just enough to forget that one time and that's it. We're all human we all do it so be vigilant for yourself and if you have kiddos be cautious with their level of curiosity and understanding in mind. If you love guns they will know it and want touch it, it's biology.

I agree with a lot of that and I think each child is unique and should be treated that way.

I left my EDC knives on the coffee table all thru my daughters younger years because she was very good at following rules - she never once touched them to my knowledge.

And I play with my knives constantly so it's not like she didn't see my interest in them. I think education should be the first step and then evaluate the kid (at any age, even teenagers) to assertain the risks of any given situation, guns, knives, cars, electricity etc...

Never left a gun loaded anywhere and it was always locked up if not on my hip for all of my daughters 0-18 years.

I would be more cautious about leaving my EDC guns around if she had any interest in guns, but she refuses to even let me take her to the range to teach her proper gun handling.

@&$")%%* Portlanders got to her somewhere along the line :mad::(

My wife told me this last night.

My comments;

If I took he class(es), I want a refund.

If I am signed up for her class(es), I would cancel.

While stuff happens, this is NOT :eek::eek::eek: acceptable!!!!!

@&$")%%* Portlanders got to her somewhere along the line attachFull282363attachFull282362

Probably government schooling, doing what it was intended to do.

I used Massad Ayoob's method ("Gun-Proof Your Children"). Think it worked just fine; he never had any interest in fooling with guns on the sly because he could access them any time he wanted in my presence (as it turned out, with no "forbidden fruit" he was not much interested). I also asked my son, when he was little, to try various things with my (unloaded of course) 1911. He could pull the trigger and take the safety off, but he couldn't rack the slide. That's why I went empty chamber for some years, just to be sure.

View attachment 282362 View attachment 282363

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jamie-gilt-florida-mom-accidentally-shot-4-year-old-son-n534981

They will call Karma on her, I am certain. One cannot defend a 4yo getting his hands on a 45, but the damage goes beyond her personal circle. Hate this kind of stuff.
-
Wow .. I just read a lot of opinion Posting attached to something where there is absolutely no facts offered from the writer of this article to defend any truth to the fact, that the person shot and the pro-firearms poster on Facebook are even the same person .
Quote:
..." A woman by the same name ran a Facebook page called Jamie Gilt ".

It is very loosely ' Suggested ' as FACT . All based on coincidence of one name taken from 1.5 billion active Facebook users that match this woman's name who made a pro-firearms statement in her Facebook page .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top