JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.......We need armed guards at our schools. They can even probably find people willing to volunteer time to do it to save on the costs.

I'll volunteer and I don't even have a kid in school anymore. (Just graduated her last week.) :s0132:

I can even pass whatever kind of background check they want or they can just use the Top Secret clearance I already have and call it good.

You spelled "teachers" wrong.. teachers should be allowed to be armed.

After Troutdale attack, Toppenish plan sounds smarter

Oregon investigators are still trying to sort out the details of Tuesday morning's fatal school shooting at Reynolds High School in Troutdale, the second Pacific Northwest incident in less than a week, leaving one student and the gunman dead.

<broken link removed>

It's amazing how the President of the United States doesn't even know that you cannot just go to a store and just buy a semi-automatic weapon. In fact, you do go through a Federal Background Check when you buy a gun from a store.

Is this idiot the President of the United States??? Sorry, I am confused! o_O

" No Other Developed Country Would Put Up with This " - Barrack Hussein Obama June 10, 2014 Speaking after the Troutdale shooting

He is showing his unbelievable ignorance of mental health issues and the hoops necessary to jump through in purchasing a gun. But he IS pandering to the low information voter.

I know the teacher/coach that was grazed by one of the bullets in his thigh.
I was best friends with his older brother while growing up.
Nicest guy I know, he was my daughters favorite teacher there. Glad he's OK.
The student that died was a freshman, and more then likely was in the wrong place when the shooting started.

It's because schools and parents want every kid to be a special snowflake and every kid is a winner. Even my sister, a liberal elementary school teacher, thinks this crap is caused by the fact thst school boards and parents try to ruthlessly prevent ANY and ALL negatives from kids these days. When kids end up facing a negative experience about high school age they go crazy.

Billions for light rail, but not a dime for mental health facilities. I have a sister-in-law who's tried to commit suicide 3 times this year, and WANTS to be in a locked down, 24/7 care situation. There is nothing available for her, so she's in the care of my in-laws, who she's attacked with a baseball bat. Does anybody really have to wonder what the problem is?

Acts like this one are suicides. They are elaborately planned to be spectacular in nature, but they are still suicides. There are 30,000 suicides a year in America, twice the number of homicides. Anti-gun groups argue that the availability of guns leads to more suicides. That's just clever wording. The availability of guns leads to more successful suicides. The statistics are that 1 in 45 suicide attempts is successful. That's 1,350,000 suicide attempts per year in the US. That's pretty powerful testimony to the fact that we have inadequate mental health treatment and facilities in this country.

But these facts will be drowned out by the anti-gun hysteria. We'll go on trying to pass legislation that is (hopefully) impossible to pass, won't work if it does pass, and punishes everyone for the acts of a few.

Your post makes great sense. I tell my pro gun control friends that by pushing their agenda after Sandy Hook, they blew out of the water the possibility of improving the mental health care system.
On the topic of armed guards or armed teachers - sure, ok, i guess, but it's not a real solution. A shooter is going to get shots off. Anyone reacting is way behind on the OODA loop. There won't be any good outcome at that point, although a complete disaster like Virginia Tech might be averted. The tactical problem seems really hard, especially for a CHL civilian. Just look at what happened to that brave guy in Walmart trying to stop one of the Nevada cop killing terrorists - blindsided by the dirtbag's GF.

I guess any person with a CHL is at a disadvantage, since we only will use our guns in self-defense against a hostile perpetrator who usually will have the advantage. The point is that if a person who is trained with a firearm has a means to defend themselves during an attack. As well, their chance of survival and the chance of those around them increases. Also, just the fact that a potential shooter knows he will be entering a facility where there will be several armed people who will more likely than not stop the person before they can achieve the fame they are looking for will help dissuade many of these maniacs. Many of them are looking to unleash as much carnage necessary, hence why they choose areas where they know people are not armed, aka "Gun Free Zones".

Many people hate the police with a passion, but why do mass shootings not occur at police stations?? There has been a few nutjobs who attempted to shoot up police stations and generally only succeeded at killing a couple people before they were shot dead in their tracks.

The problem with a free society is that with freedoms there will be nutjobs to abuse those freedoms.. If you want to live in a society where the population is totally controlled and everyone is safe from other civilians of the population, living in a fascist dictatorship with full government control of the people would be the most desirable. Perhaps, like North Korea?

Anyhow, IMO, allowing people to arm themselves at schools and working on improving our mental health system is the most important means of reducing these school shootings. Also, preventing the media from displaying the names of the perpetrators, their mission, cause , facebook /twitter page rants would also help reduce the amount of copycat crimes. It's amazing that each of these shooters was inspired by what they learned of other shootings from the media outlets who love a good story and could care less about the innocent victims.

I've noticed on the last few shootings that they are doing in depth stories on the shooters, and the frequency is increasing. For a while the press had been avoiding showing their pictures and giving their names, and that tactic seemed to be working. Just my own unscientific observation.

3MTA3, your observations are backed up with some scientific research. In the book "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion", Robert Cialdini talks about a concept called "social proof" where people who are unsure of how to act will look to the behavior of others to help decide. He also mentions the Werther-effect (copycat suicide), where suicides spike in the time after a highly publicized suicide. I believe both those theories may play a part in these mass shootings. While there is not a huge amount of scientific research the Werther-effect, it does seem extensive media coverage of mass shootings and the killer may play a role in these cases.

On the topic of armed guards or armed teachers - sure, ok, i guess, but it's not a real solution. A shooter is going to get shots off. Anyone reacting is way behind on the OODA loop. There won't be any good outcome at that point, although a complete disaster like Virginia Tech might be averted. The tactical problem seems really hard, especially for a CHL civilian. Just look at what happened to that brave guy in Walmart trying to stop one of the Nevada cop killing terrorists - blindsided by the dirtbag's GF.
His friend was there and said he didn't know there was two, He was drawing on one and the other shot him.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top