JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

ACOG worth the Money?

• Total voters
I own a TA01NSN and like it, I bought it used and made the cost much more affordable to bare. I love it my my AR, very crisp and bright optic. If I was to upgrade thought, it would be one of the newer versions with the fiberoptic on top. I would say they are worth it if you can find it for under $800 for any of them. At $1200 and up, then no. Just depends on whats its worth to you, and your purposes. I use it mostly at the bench right now, but want to do PR with it later on.

Depends on what you are going to use the rifle for. They have their purpose.

I would also consider 1-4x & 1-6x scopes if you are spending close to 1K already.

I love mine, TA31F-G. Got it brand new for $700, I'd say it was quite a deal. Not only are the optics clear and crisp, it works well and their very very durable. If you run out of ammo you can knock someone out with it and just mount it again, problem solved.

Take the money and use it for formal training.

I don't get the comment. I'd like a nice low variable or low fixed power optic just to be able to reach out and touch something a little further than my old eyes can see. +1 to those who can shoot out there a couple hundred yards with irons or red dots.

Only you can answer that kind of question. I thought they weren't for a number of years but kept coming back to them because of the extremely clear and bright optics. Finally broke down and purchased one and haven't had a twinge of regret. Are there other scopes out there that will get the job done for less money? Yes. Is the ACOG overpriced? No. Is it Tacticool? Only to kids.

It should prove more durable in the long run than a red dot and has some similar qualities. Most scopes are not worth a dang at fast acquisition during the daytime. The ACOG with the fiber optic setup at least puts you in a much better position than most scopes. I'm personally running an aimpoint micro with a 3x mag and was torn whether or not an ACOG would have been a better buy. I like my setup alot but could be convinced to run an appropriate ACOG.

That's a tough question to answer. Worth it based on what criteria?

I'm familiar with the TA31RCO and TA31RCO-M4CP. I used them extensively in Iraq and the optics are clear, minimum of maintenance (mostly keeping it clean), takes a lot of abuse (but not quite Marineproof), red chevron is great for quick target acquisition and range estimation (chevron width is 19" at 300 meters), you can keep both eyes open for situational awareness, the lead indicators work suprisingly good and so do the elevation. We had Marines closing 'em out at 800 meters rooftop to rooftop. Additionally, I found it effective in CQB - though it look a good deal of effort to train shooting left-handed as my dominant eye is right. I suspect I would have had that difficulty with any sighting system.

Were there times I would have liked a 9x scope? Yes. Were there times I would have liked an illuminated scope (Thermal or NVG)? Yes. It's not perfect, but it worked well for me in a variety of situations. And, Trijicon has a ACOG for everyone - further muddying the waters.

Before you drop the cash, I'd take a step back and ask yourself what capability the scope will give you that you can't achieve with the requisite amount of training. Fundamentals are the lifeblood. Equipment is replaceable and prone to failure. Try to meet your mission objectives with the least amount of gear, because you don't want to be dependent on equipment for success.

Are you primarily focusing on CQB and have good supply (batteries)? A red dot, Eotech or laser might be the ticket.

Need CQB edge at night? Maybe NVGs and an IR laser.

Will you likely also engage 200 Meters to 800 meters in varying conditions? The ACOG might be for you.

Again, don't get stuck on gear. A 98# guy in pajamas and a crappy AK-47 can make you dead no matter how much top-notch stuff you have. Physical fitness, muscle memory, sound tactics, a quick mind, experience and boldness will win the day 9 times out of 10.

That's a tough question to answer. Worth it based on what criteria?

I'm familiar with the TA31RCO and TA31RCO-M4CP. I used them extensively in Iraq and the optics are clear, minimum of maintenance (mostly keeping it clean), takes a lot of abuse (but not quite Marineproof), red chevron is great for quick target acquisition and range estimation (chevron width is 19" at 300 meters), you can keep both eyes open for situational awareness, the lead indicators work suprisingly good and so do the elevation. We had Marines closing 'em out at 800 meters rooftop to rooftop. Additionally, I found it effective in CQB - though it look a good deal of effort to train shooting left-handed as my dominant eye is right. I suspect I would have had that difficulty with any sighting system.

Were there times I would have liked a 9x scope? Yes. Were there times I would have liked an illuminated scope (Thermal or NVG)? Yes. It's not perfect, but it worked well for me in a variety of situations. And, Trijicon has a ACOG for everyone - further muddying the waters.

Before you drop the cash, I'd take a step back and ask yourself what capability the scope will give you that you can't achieve with the requisite amount of training. Fundamentals are the lifeblood. Equipment is replaceable and prone to failure. Try to meet your mission objectives with the least amount of gear, because you don't want to be dependent on equipment for success.

Are you primarily focusing on CQB and have good supply (batteries)? A red dot, Eotech or laser might be the ticket.

Need CQB edge at night? Maybe NVGs and an IR laser.

Will you likely also engage 200 Meters to 800 meters in varying conditions? The ACOG might be for you.

Again, don't get stuck on gear. A 98# guy in pajamas and a crappy AK-47 can make you dead no matter how much top-notch stuff you have. Physical fitness, muscle memory, sound tactics, a quick mind, experience and boldness will win the day 9 times out of 10.

Best advice Yet. Thanks!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads