JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whodathunk? The ACLU was so aghast over Governor Newsom signing those draconian California gun bills into law that they actually stood up and said something. Now how far they will go with it is another matter. It could just be a response to recent criticism over their silence on the 2A matters at hand in Cali.

"the gun confiscation bill is so broad that the ACLU said it "poses a significant threat to civil liberties"

Interesting. This got me looking up ACLU on Wikipedia. Looks like they have been active in helping people recover seized guns in the past (at least according to Wikipedia):
07366C7D-0A79-4813-941B-046F7D5F7D46.jpeg
Also I noticed one WA state pro 2nd amendment stance listed on Wikipedia:
661F5718-6C3F-4C18-BFA0-2FB05A534A44.jpeg

The ACLU have done a few good things but their stances on many, many other matters that do NOT help homeowners, businesses, apartment buildings, etc. when it came to them fighting against cities/counties/states against transients, dope fiends, drunks and criminals while they DESTROY private property rights right in front of the 'owners' has TURNED ME OFF and away from them. BIG time!

The ACLU defended the criminal pigs with their PUBLIC pooping/urination, trashing public sidewalks with their booze bottles, needles, 'droppings' of human waste which is a HUGE health hazard, writing on sidewalks, leaving paper trash on doorways, harassing patrons and owners entering/leaving their businesses and homes, begging and threatening people who do not give them money, destruction of property, etc.

The city council in this college town caved in to the ACLU and their demands and the ACLU stood up for the trespassers, pigs, criminals, etc.

Now, if they made a LAW against begging/panhandling that would have WORKED as it has in other cities and small towns but ALL or most of the authorities, city council, ACLU, and some SJW-bleeding heart liberals (LOL) were not for that. The BLH and the SJW freaks did NOT want it in their area but it was okay for them to have the pigs/transients/criminals/bums in another part of town! YOU know how that works! NIMBY!

The ACLU in this town or whoever works for them can go jump in a cold LAKE as far as I am concerned!

The ACLU has helped some pastors and their work and I saw that happen back east. I called them for help. I was a member of the ACLU for about 1 to 2 years TOTAL many, many years ago.

The ACLU has spoken up for gun rights in SOME but not all cases, years ago, and if they really, really believed in fighting for ALL people in all of their rights (Constitution/BOR.) they would have been on OUR SIDE like stink on you know what by now.

So better late than never but in my not so humble and BIASED opinion when it comes to some of their CAUSES and fights that they specifically CHOOSE to fight - they don't fight for ME as an old lady worse off when I was a younger lady.

I did not see them fight in GUN causes when I used to live in one of the TOP last - remaining 7 anti CCW states with a lying R Governor and for those other remaining 7 states on that LIST.

They want to fight for people to use ANY bathroom, especially a ladies room, on a whim or what the MAN feels like he is for the 'day/evening' and more stuff that I don't want or believe in worse off FEEL SAFE when I walk into a public restroom. I do NOT want a man in my public restroom no matter what the ACLU or some judge says is okay! Make a 'other' bathroom like I have seen in other places. Men, Women and other!

Thanks but no thanks and, if and when, the ACLU really, really wants to get their head screwed on straight when it comes to THE RKBA ISSUE, standing up for PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS - home and business owners and tons more - I would consider giving them $10. in a NON member donation capacity.

Cate

Last Edited:
I still can't get over that the EX wife (KG) of that CA governor is dating and living with Don Jr.!

Cate

"Imagine what could be accomplished if the ACLU, Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America teamed up to save our Civil Rights from overzealous tyrants?"

Man, That's the stuff of dreams. Wonder what we here can do tho make that happen.... I for one sent a donation to all three with that exact comment enclosed in the letter. Maybe we can all come together for the common good of ALL our rights. Those three organizations together would be a force to be reckoned with.

The ACLU may be helpful at times and in certain respects of gun rights, but everyone needs to remember that they are very far from being Pro 2A and gun rights friendly. I see this and them as more along the lines of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" (as long as they're useful at the time).

The ACLU does not believe that the 2A is an individual right. They outright disagree with Heller:

ACLU said:
ACLU Position

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right.
ACLU said:
In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia. The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment.
ACLU said:
Although ACLU policy cites the Supreme Court's decision in U.S. v. Miller as support for our position on the Second Amendment, our policy was never dependent on Miller. Rather, like all ACLU policies, it reflects the ACLU's own understanding of the Constitution and civil liberties.

They also support gun control (not all, but a wide swath):

ACLU said:
The American Civil Liberties Union firmly believes that legislatures can, consistent with the Constitution, impose reasonable limits on firearms sale, ownership, and use, without raising civil liberties concerns.
ACLU said:
When analyzing gun control measures from a civil liberties perspective, we place them into one of three categories. First are laws that regulate or restrict particular types of guns or ammunition, regardless of the purchaser. These sorts of regulations generally raise few, if any, civil liberties issues. Second are proposals that regulate how people acquire guns, again regardless of the identity of the purchaser. These sorts of regulations may raise due process and privacy concerns, but can, if carefully crafted, respect civil liberties.
ACLU said:
Many of the options now being considered raise no civil liberties concerns. That includes bans on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and bump stocks. Raising the minimum age for all gun ownership to 21, currently the legal age for purchasing a handgun, also raises no civil liberties issues, as research on brain development shows that young people's impulse control differs from that of adults.

They only worry about "young people's impulse control" when it comes to guns, but hypocritically not for voting (which in my opinion could have a far deadlier affect on society, than a few "young people" with a few guns).

ACLU said:
Young people can and should play a leadership role in our country's democracy. States that put unnecessary and unjustified barriers in the way of young people voting are violating the Constitution and doing a disservice to the democratic process.

ACLU said:
Other gun control measures may also be justified, such as laws that keep guns out of sensitive places like schools and government buildings; requirements that guns include smart technologies (like password protection) that ensure that only the lawful owner of the gun may use it; and requirements that gun owners first obtain a permit, much like a driver's license, establishing that they know how to use guns safely and responsibly.
ACLU said:
Extending background checks, which cover federally licensed gun stores, to gun shows and other unlicensed transactions, is also a reasonable reform. There is no civil liberties justification for the "gun show loophole." We do not object to universal background checks if the databases on which they rely are accurate, secure, and respect privacy.

Yet, they are against Voter ID laws because:

ACLU said:
Voter ID Laws Deprive Many Americans of the Right to Vote
  • Millions of Americans Lack ID. 11% of U.S. citizens – or more than 21 million Americans – do not have government-issued photo identification.1
  • Obtaining ID Costs Money. Even if ID is offered for free, voters must incur numerous costs (such as paying for birth certificates) to apply for a government-issued ID.
    • Underlying documents required to obtain ID cost money, a significant expense for lower-income Americans. The combined cost of document fees, travel expenses and waiting time are estimated to range from $75 to $175.2
    • The travel required is often a major burden on people with disabilities, the elderly, or those in rural areas without access to a car or public transportation. In Texas, some people in rural areas must travel approximately 170 miles to reach the nearest ID office.3
Couldn't the same be said in opposition to gun permits/licenses and background check laws? Yet, they're either not smart enough to make the connection or they are really oppose gun rights and the 2A. I believe it's the latter.

Ray

The ACLU used to defend the right of gun owners, long ago, before most of us were born. It has changed a lot since then.

My neighbor works for the ACLU. That guy is no lover of this Country. He and his buddies would rewrite all the rules if given the opportunity. If he could ever get away with doing it, he would red flag me in a heartbeat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top