JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was considering getting an AK for the cheap ammo (got a 5.56 rifle already) but couldn't get past the accuracy issue (being an ex-Marine, it's darn near impossible.) Came across a video that made me think of a chunk of lead flying out of a wet noodle. Yuk. So I know there are some pretty accurate rifles chambered in this like Galil's, but they're pretty pricy, so I was wondering what some options are for better accuracy in this caliber without breaking my little piggy bank.

I know the rifle is a large part of the accuracy problem, but I think the ballistics can be improved with a better rifle. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Can I get a little schooling on the topic?
Thanks!

Yes the x39 can be a reasonably accurate round if you want to hand load and get a bolt gun. They do make AR's chambered for the x39 also.

If you are shooting cheep surplus ammo out of a mass produced semi auto gun (AK, SKS, Mini) the accuracy is just not going to be what you seem to want. Keep in mind what the round and the guns were designed for, that is what they do. But yes some makes of they SKS's and AK shoot better then others.

honestly the saiga is the way to go i was very impressed when i first got mine especially for the money, its a stripted down version of arsenals sgl and russian made. if u want a semi auto in 7.62 get an sgl if u want a cheap 7.62 get a saiga and u can always convert it back(witch is fun and not hard at all) heres the saiga fourm check it out for ur self -- forum.saiga-12.com --the saiga is a must have if u want a 7.62 its not a 1 moa gun but its consistent and reliable i think if u pick one up ull be impressed

I have a ruger blued MKII but they have newer models in stainless. Mine is very accurate with certain factory loads haven't tried any handloads yet but east german fmj will put them in one hole and 100yds.

I got to shoot a CZ527 with the set trigger, and with good S&B, or fiochi, it was very pleasing, using readily available ammo.
Please note when talking of reloading 7.62 X 39 realize that the Russian (AK) version of 7.62 is .311 inch while the U.S. version of 7.62 is .308, and in some hand gun molds .309 *** This is very important! Check, ruger mini 30 & Bolt guns, there was some variation a few years back.
CZ 527's are euro so use the .311 (AK) ammo, and are cheap to feed.... Just something to watch for.
Have fun,
A1 :)

Carl: Instead of prejudging AKs by video, borrow one and try it out from prone, kneeling, standing as you were trained and see what it really is capable of. For instance, PSLs flex horribly, but using 1986 Czech lightball, I can routinely keep 5 rounds in 7" from prone at 330m using a Gen 1 Russian NV scope (which is not optimized for accuracy btw). If its a decent rifle like a Saiga and you are using quality ammo and proper shooting form, I believe you would be pleasantly surprised at how well an AK can shoot. AKs have a generally bad rap because most of the folks who use them worldwide are untrained conscripts who are much less skilled than the average US riflemen. The notch and post and short sight radius of the firearm are also a detriment to the platform, but a good optic can overcome this.

Also, PM Unka-boo and see what he says about them. In competition, he smokes less skilled AR guys with his AK.

Keith

Last Edited:
Carl: Being a Marine, you know that it is the person moreso than the rifle when consistant accuracy is of concern. Instead of prejudging AKs by video, borrow one and try it out from prone, kneeling, standing as you were trained and see what it really is capable of. For instance, PSLs flex horribly, but using 1986 Czech lightball, I canroutinely keep 5 rounds in 7" at 330m using a Gen 1Russian NV scope (which is not optimized for accuracy). If its a decent rifle like a Saiga and you are using quality ammo and proper shooting form, I believe pleasantly you would be pleasantly surprised at how well an AK can shoot.

Also, PM Unka-boo and see what he says about them. In competition, he smokes less skilled AR guys with his AK.

Keith

It's been a long while since I wore the uniform, and my eyes and weight aren't quite as good as they used to be (among other things...) And yes, the gun is merely a tool, and with the right skills, most tool deficits can be overcome. That said, in my case, I don't get to the range as often as I'd like, and I haven't found a place up here in Snohomish County to plink and play with my guns outdoors. If I knew of one, I'd be spending a lot more on ammo, as well as taking more than one person from my family shooting with me at a time. The outdoor range problem really bites, but it's another discussion and I can't do much about it.

I guess my point was that if I could start out with at least a marginally better tool, then I would be able to better tell the difference between my skills and my shooting skills. I'm not making any judgements about AK's; I just don't know anyone else in my small circle of friends with a gun collection, thus no one that would go on a "play date" with me, so I have no personal experience. The few indoor ranges can't/wont let me practice the skills I learned (and lost) a long time ago, which would tell me more of what I really needed to know.

I was amused to find that I'm more consistant with iron sights than I was expecting, but it took a few mags through my SU-16 to get to that point.

Maybe I should also say: "I don't get out much." :)

It's been a long while since I wore the uniform, and my eyes and weight aren't quite as good as they used to be (among other things...) And yes, the gun is merely a tool, and with the right skills, most tool deficits can be overcome. That said, in my case, I don't get to the range as often as I'd like, and I haven't found a place up here in Snohomish County to plink and play with my guns outdoors. If I knew of one, I'd be spending a lot more on ammo, as well as taking more than one person from my family shooting with me at a time. The outdoor range problem really bites, but it's another discussion and I can't do much about it.

I guess my point was that if I could start out with at least a marginally better tool, then I would be able to better tell the difference between my skills and my shooting skills. I'm not making any judgements about AK's; I just don't know anyone else in my small circle of friends with a gun collection, thus no one that would go on a "play date" with me, so I have no personal experience. The few indoor ranges can't/wont let me practice the skills I learned (and lost) a long time ago, which would tell me more of what I really needed to know.

I was amused to find that I'm more consistant with iron sights than I was expecting, but it took a few mags through my SU-16 to get to that point.

Maybe I should also say: "I don't get out much." :)

Carl: I reread my previous post and changed the wording because it sounded harsher than I had intended, but apparently I wasn't quick enough. Sorry about that, it wasn't my intention. (Plus my grammar sucked too. I need to proofread before I post I guess... ;) .)

For a plinker, a stock Saiga is as nearly good as it gets, and it is the cheapest AK you can get (less expensive than even a WASR). This isn't a quality issue, though. All other AKs are built from foreign kits here in the US with US labor using 5 or 6 US-made parts including, now, barrels. The Saiga is 100% Russian made, and merely has to be imported, so it costs significantly less to build and get it to the customer. You can get them wth standard rifle stocks or skeleton stocks and later you can convert them into decent AKM clones. The Saiga.com site mentioned above is a good resource.

So, Saiga it is :) .

Keith

Carl: I reread my previous post and changed the wording because it sounded harsher than I had intended, but apparently I wasn't quick enough. Sorry about that, it wasn't my intention. (Plus my grammar sucked too. I need to proofread before I post I guess... ;) .)

<<SNIP>>
So, Saiga it is :) .

Keith

Where could I have taken offense? Perhaps my residual jarhead sensibilities missed something.
Anyway, taking a look at Saiga's website, there's some definite interest. I also liked the 308, since it's also on my wish list.
Thanks for your time!

Where could I have taken offense? Perhaps my residual jarhead sensibilities missed something.
Anyway, taking a look at Saiga's website, there's some definite interest. I also liked the 308, since it's also on my wish list.
Thanks for your time!

Aha! The Saiga .308 version actually gets rave reviews from owners in the accuracy department. .308 VEPRs are another possibility, but are a bit more expensive than Saigas, a bit heavier and in my opinion also a bit goofy looking. With its slant receiver, furniture swaps can be problematic.

If you do get one, let us know how it performs :) .

Keith

Give another thought to a 20" barreled SKS? Some of these can be surprisingly accurate! Raise the front sight post so that there is just a sliver of light on each side of it, and hold it at twelve o'clock on the target bull, not six o'clock. I was at a hundred yard range once, and the guy next to me had a "new" surplus SKS. He shot a two-inch group, with ordinary Chinese ammo, with just the open sights. Amazed ME! If you prefer a peep sight, add on "Tech-Sights" (just add .com) for a great, no-gunsmithing adjustable peepsight............................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top