JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carl: Instead of prejudging AKs by video, borrow one and try it out from prone, kneeling, standing as you were trained and see what it really is capable of. For instance, PSLs flex horribly, but using 1986 Czech lightball, I can routinely keep 5 rounds in 7" from prone at 330m using a Gen 1 Russian NV scope (which is not optimized for accuracy btw). If its a decent rifle like a Saiga and you are using quality ammo and proper shooting form, I believe you would be pleasantly surprised at how well an AK can shoot. AKs have a generally bad rap because most of the folks who use them worldwide are untrained conscripts who are much less skilled than the average US riflemen. The notch and post and short sight radius of the firearm are also a detriment to the platform, but a good optic can overcome this.

Also, PM Unka-boo and see what he says about them. In competition, he smokes less skilled AR guys with his AK.

Keith

:s0093:

What is your definition of "accurate".

For most of what I shoot ( PR at Tri-County ) a 3-4 MOA gun is plenty accurate.

I've been getting 1.5-2MOA with Yugo surplus out of my Arsenal SLR-107. which is great for an AK shooting surplus ammo.

Here's an example of my mediocre skills:

YouTube - ‪Practical Rifle Match April 9th 2011 - Stage 2 Part 1‬‏

had one on the left side kick my butt....

My Arsenal 107FR and converted Saiga are more accurate than I am, but they were not cheap. I have heard good things about the Interarms AK, which are less than 600.00. Check out Atlantic Firearms. Also noticed a production Red Jacket AK there. Something I'm interested in is the Texas Weapons System top cover, which replaces the stock top cover and rear sight leaf with a repeatable zero rail that allows standard scope mounting.
<broken link removed>

I've been getting 1.5-2MOA with Yugo surplus out of my Arsenal SLR-107. which is great for an AK shooting surplus ammo.

Here's an example of my mediocre skills:

YouTube - &#x202a;Practical Rifle Match April 9th 2011 - Stage 2 Part 1&#x202c;&rlm;

had one on the left side kick my butt....

BOO?!! You shootin' at that orange excavator in the background?! C'mon... admit it! LMAO!! :s0155:

I didn't read every post in this thread, but so far I think it lacks specifics from the OP. What is the $ Budget? What is the goal for accuracy? What type of action are you looking for (Bolt, Auto, Single)?

Details man!

That's the problem. We all have different goals and uses. If you want to shoot Sage Rats 3 MOA is worthless over 50 yards. You would be lucky to hit 1 in 3 at 100 yards with a good rest. With a 1/2 MOA gun it will get boring.

What you going to shoot with this thing?

Hey, look at that, defining requirements!
The idea was that I wanted a rifle that fulfilled several different needs and wants, not necessarily in any order:

Cheap ammo. 5.56 rifles generally don't like steel, unlike 7.62, which is a lot cheaper than brass.
Semi auto
Accuracy relatively commensurate with cost. I don't expect to be able to punch out the pin at 500 yard with a cheap rifle, but getting 6" groups at 250 yards or so would be good for me. In a .308, which is also on my list, I think 500 yard work is reasonable. Beyond that the real limit becomes me, not the gun.

I hear about 100 yards or so all the time. 100 yards, when it comes to the capabilities of the rife, is kinda short, if you ask me. The problem is that most folks aren't willing to walk, or don't have access to, ranges longer than 100 yards, so the ability to compare themselves to their rifle is difficult.

I have, in my younger years, punched the pin out at 500 yds (Marines know what that means,) but in this case, I'll settle for 6" groups or better at 200-250 yds. If/when I get a .308 I'd like to have similar groups at 500 yards. Smaller caliber I have lower expectations, althought the 5.56 is its own world. There's a tradeoff of accuracy with price (good, fast, or cheap. Pick two...) and in a SHTF situation having both a 5.56 and a 7.62 has its advantages. For the record, in the USMC, the 500 yard line is the easiest part of qualification. Had I listened to what I was being taught, I would have had a much better shiny thing hanging on my chest, but that was life when I was young. Never paying attention...

I found a bolt action 7.62 x 39 Norinco bushmaster a year or two back that has been an excellent little rifle. It was cheap up here, ($300. or so), and shoots fairly consistently. It is manufactured in China and its quality is only average, but I put a 4 pwr scope on it and it has proven to be a great varmint rifle that that is easy on already inexpensive ammunition.
By the way, I used to shoot an SKS with the same ammo, but this one performs way better than that. Bolt action is superior due to more power being spent on launching the bullet, and not so much lost to ejection and reload functions. This caliber needs all the advantages it can get.

Sks' scan be very accurate. Especially when you cut and recrown the barrel.

I still think more gun manufacturers should get on making a decent priced bolt gun in the cartridge.

I have found that the AR styke rifle will cycle that round accuratly.

I would suggest an 18 inch barrel with the 1:7 or 1:8 twist. It should bench moa for a few hundred.

I would also use the C Products ar platform 39mm magazine. I have tested several brands, and the c products seems to be the only decent version, atleast that I could drum up over 4 months. Having had to deal with many crappy mags.

This would also lend up costing you less, since its just an upper, than say a heavy barreled AK. Which will still not be more accurate...

The ideal being you would use your standard ar lower for the upper.

Aha! The Saiga .308 version actually gets rave reviews from owners in the accuracy department. .308 VEPRs are another possibility, but are a bit more expensive than Saigas, a bit heavier and in my opinion also a bit goofy looking. With its slant receiver, furniture swaps can be problematic.

If you do get one, let us know how it performs :) .

Keith

I was just reading through this wondering why no one had mentioned the Vepr yet. It's basically a longer range AK style platform. They start at about $800 new. Not sure how they'd compare on accuracy though. Atlantic Firearms is always selling Vepr's if you want to have a look.

SKS with a cut and crowned barrel. I had one a while back where I cut the barrel and recrowned it to 11 degrees. Then polished the bore and it shot 1.5-2 MOA. Hardest part was mounting a scope. I used the Choate mount and drilled and tapped the receiver. Worked well.

vepr is heavy receiver and heavy barrel. it's an rpk.

build quality is second to none, though veprs are heavy as hell.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top